Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
In my lifetime, I've never witnessed so much hostiltiy towards teachers and education. There seems to be some bigger agenda that's orchestrating this discontent.
It's about destroying any reforms that have been standing in the wake of the assault on the "welfare state" that really got underway in the 80s with Reagan.

Public sector unions, including teachers, are just one more "evil" to the corporate owning class that is taking over the world.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
It's about destroying any reforms that have been standing in the wake of the assault on the "welfare state" that really got underway in the 80s with Reagan.

Public sector unions, including teachers, are just one more "evil" to the corporate owning class that is taking over the world.
Well then you are more than welcome to keep your special snowflake out of public school, and home-school him.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by day247 View Post
I agree. Teaching is no longer a respected profession. I'm getting out as soon as I can and am heading for an esteemed career. However, I teach at two schools and only love teaching at one.
Why do you love teaching at the one?

I'm leaning towards getting out of teaching when my kids graduate too. One of the perks of my job is that my kids can attend high school where I teach and I have one entering 9th grade this year. We'll see how I'm feeling about teaching in another 4 years. This will be my 4th year teaching and I feel I need to give it 5 to be in position to decide but a career where I am respected for what I do looks so good right now. I had that once and I miss it. People seem to assume the worst about teachers and treat them accordingly.

You know, there were bad engineers too but people didn't assume every engineer was a bad engineer. In fact, they assumed the opposite. I wonder why people assume the worst about teachers? When I look back over my education, there were bad teachers but there were good teachers too. Not a high percentage of either though. Like other careers, most people teaching are near average. For some reason that is not acceptable in teaching.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
Teaching in this day and age sucks. The kids don't respect the teacher at all. I was student teaching in a high school and the kids were cursing at the regular teacher and leaving the class whenever they felt like it.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM

67 posts, read 107,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
In my lifetime, I've never witnessed so much hostiltiy towards teachers and education. There seems to be some bigger agenda that's orchestrating this discontent.
Yeah, it's called "Most Americans are just not into education."

Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post

Wow. You think I am going to become a high school Social Science (History, Geography, Economics, Civics, Government) teacher just to please some corporate master? Think again... I can't stand the business world - they have NO morals.

Yes... Wanting to educate all children so they are productive members of society is welfare? Do you secretly worship Ayn Rand?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well then you are more than welcome to keep your special snowflake out of public school, and home-school him.
ROTFLMAO Special snowflake. I've gotta use that next time on Huffington Post. LOL

Parents think that just because they spawned a few children it makes them an expert in parenting kids.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Teaching in this day and age sucks. The kids don't respect the teacher at all. I was student teaching in a high school and the kids were cursing at the regular teacher and leaving the class whenever they felt like it.
I would not put up with any student cursing at me. In fact, when some have I've had them permanently removed from my classroom. I don't need to deal with kids like this. That's what their parents are for. Also, I don't put up with students that have an attitude problem.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Flock Of Budgies View Post
I would not put up with any student cursing at me. In fact, when some have I've had them permanently removed from my classroom. I don't need to deal with kids like this. That's what their parents are for. Also, I don't put up with students that have an attitude problem.
I don't care what attitude a student has. It's what they do with it that I care about. You can hate my guts as long as you are polite, respectful, and do I what I tell you to do.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Flock Of Budgies View Post
In a public school? I don't know that where you work, but we could never get students permanently removed from our classrooms in the public schools I worked at for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching