Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Professional development? Welcome to the world of having a professional career!

I'm a software developer, do you think I'm working in technologies I used ten years ago? Is that tax preparer at H&R Block following tax codes from 1992? Do accountants just ignore all the changes in laws regarding accounting requirements? Do attorneys not attend their minimum CLE time to keep their licenses to practice? Does a veterinarian just stick with what they know and not worry about advances in animal medicine?

Career development and working outside the office is not unique to the teaching profession.
So, tell me. How does your "professional development work"? Do you do that on a regularly scheduled work day? Do you fly out to another city and stay in a hotel room- on your employer's dime? Do you get fed while you're there? Does your employer pay for the seminar fees?

AND- You just compared accountants, attorneys, and vets to the professional standards that teachers must maintain. And here we go. Here it is. The culmination of 3 days of bickering. You want teachers held up to the same standards as other license-holding professionals, but you do not think they deserve the same pay. Come on! You can't have it both ways! Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I don't work in Owasso. And, don't tell me how much money I make. I have already, clearly, made that fact well known.
I'm not telling you how much money you make. I'm telling you that the teacher's pay scale in the area you live is ample to keep teachers from being forced to live in those notorious Tulsa slums.

You started a thread to whine about how underpaid you are. When the truth is you are paid more than the average pay of individuals in Oklahoma. You have an outstanding benefits package which most Oklahomans don't enjoy. The truth is that the costs of living are notably lower where you live than in other parts of the country. The truth is you have the opportunity to augment your teaching salary by working another job in the summer. $35,000 is good pay in Oklahoma. I have family who live in Mannford, so I do know.

I have nothing but respect for teachers, including yourself. It's a demanding profession. But people who choose a profession do so for reasons beyond the mere pay scale. Professions are not just about "show me the money", professions are about other rewards as well. The rewards of helping others is an important part of every profession. If those rewards aren't important to you, and you feel underpaid and underappreciated, perhaps you've chosen the wrong profession.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Here is Milleka's city from apartments.com: Owasso Apartments for Rent - Owasso, OK on ApartmentGuide.com

Obviously $1,200 for a one bedroom isn't the norm there, in fact most seem to be in the $600 range. Unless almost all of the apartments listed on that website are slums (which I guess is possible I've never been there) any claims by Milleka of single teachers being forced to live in squalor on their 35k salary is questionable.

Milleka also mentioned her single friends who teach being on food stamps, here are the guidelines for food stampls in OK: OKDHS - Food Stamp Eligibility Requirements and the income limit for receiving food stamps is a gross income no more than 130% of poverty level, currently $1,174 monthly (about $14k annually) for a single person. It appears Milleka's claims of her single teacher friendds needing food stamps is also quite suspect.

If I get time I'll look into the official section-8 requirements for her area and verify if her talk of teachers living in section-8 housing is possible, it would not surprise me if further contradictions exist.
Nobody who has invested that much in their education should be expected to live in a one-bedroom apartment. Seriously?

Also, what about all the singles out there that have kids? Do your stats reflect that?

One more time- Teachers are professionals and should be paid accordingly. You've already made the comparison to accountants, attorneys, and veterinarians. Would you expect them to live in an apartment and feed their children off food-stamps after the investment that they've made? I'm not begrudging them. The harder you work in this country should be reflected in your paycheck... and most of the time it is. Until you start talking about civil "servants" and then that all goes out the window. You would be perfectly content with us working for nothing.

Slackjaw, aka Mouthbreather, did you have a bad educational experience as a child? Were you molested? Did the nuns lock you in a dark closet and not let you eat all day? Did some evil teacher not "give" you a good enough grade and the result is a life of misery and disdain for education? You obviously have it out for teachers. Period. Like I've said before, it's not going to matter what type of facts, or stats, or proof I provide. You are still going to mock me, and belittle me, and call me a liar. YOU are what's wrong with education today. YOU are the problem. And YOU are now repeaping the rewards of your bassackwards thinking every time another corporation gets a bailout, or when you go to a store and the dummy behind the counter can't even count back change. You are hateful and beligerant and small-minded. I hope you get everything you want and deserve.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
So, tell me. How does your "professional development work"? Do you do that on a regularly scheduled work day? Do you fly out to another city and stay in a hotel room- on your employer's dime? Do you get fed while you're there? Does your employer pay for the seminar fees?

AND- You just compared accountants, attorneys, and vets to the professional standards that teachers must maintain. And here we go. Here it is. The culmination of 3 days of bickering. You want teachers held up to the same standards as other license-holding professionals, but you do not think they deserve the same pay. Come on! You can't have it both ways! Wow.
I think you're living a dreamland. Many professionals don't get paid what you do. And take home work every night, every weekend. Get called to come in on days off. Get only a week or two of vacation all year. Don't get to call in sick, because the job has to get done.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not telling you how much money you make. I'm telling you that the teacher's pay scale in the area you live is ample to keep teachers from being forced to live in those notorious Tulsa slums.

You started a thread to whine about how underpaid you are. When the truth is you are paid more than the average pay of individuals in Oklahoma. You have an outstanding benefits package which most Oklahomans don't enjoy. The truth is that the costs of living are notably lower where you live than in other parts of the country. The truth is you have the opportunity to augment your teaching salary by working another job in the summer. $35,000 is good pay in Oklahoma. I have family who live in Mannford, so I do know.

I have nothing but respect for teachers, including yourself. It's a demanding profession. But people who choose a profession do so for reasons beyond the mere pay scale. Professions are not just about "show me the money", professions are about other rewards as well. The rewards of helping others is an important part of every profession. If those rewards aren't important to you, and you feel underpaid and underappreciated, perhaps you've chosen the wrong profession.
I did indeed choose the wrong profession. My degree is actually in nursing. So, idiot me, I chose to teach instead for altruistic motives. I am so wretched and evil for wanting to make conditions better for children and other teachers.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you're living a dreamland. Many professionals don't get paid what you do. And take home work every night, every weekend. Get called to come in on days off. Get only a week or two of vacation all year. Don't get to call in sick, because the job has to get done.
Some say that I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one.

Go do my job and tell me if it's a dream or a nightmare.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Here is Milleka's city from apartments.com: Owasso Apartments for Rent - Owasso, OK on ApartmentGuide.com

Obviously $1,200 for a one bedroom isn't the norm there, in fact most seem to be in the $600 range.
You said that $35k was a pretty good salary all over the country. My $1,200 rent was an example for the area in which I live, not Owasso. I still contend that a single person in the D.C. metro area is not making a "pretty good salary" at $35k.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
No. I read about new stuff on the internet, do tutorials on it, try to sell my Bosses on it, sometimes slip it into production under the radar.

Quote:
AND- You just compared accountants, attorneys, and vets to the professional standards that teachers must maintain.
Cute selective reading, I also said tax preparers. They often work seasonally and are hardly well paid. Also, most accountants get paid less than teachers by hours worked, as demonstrated by earlier chart.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
No. I read about new stuff on the internet, do tutorials on it, try to sell my Bosses on it, sometimes slip it into production under the radar.

Cute selective reading, I also said tax preparers. They often work seasonally and are hardly well paid. Also, most accountants get paid less than teachers by hours worked, as demonstrated by earlier chart.
You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:

And, talk about selective reading- Did you have a bad educational experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching