Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 02:42 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You're basing your entire argument on how little you get paid. However, out here a teacher with +15 would start out at almost 50,000. The top pay rates are at almost 100K. This is on top of very good benefits, too.
That's also in Cali where the cost of living is higher. Do comparably educated professionals make $50,000 starting out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Comfortable is not an objective standard. One person's comfortable is another's impoverished. Salary figures for school districts across the country are available, broken down by grade level and teacher experience. Your annual salary is your ANNUAL salary. The fact that you have an opportunity to supplement that salary during the summer months when you are off is a plus, not a negative, of your profession. Teachers around the country generally make an average salary. That does not mean they are underpaid. Teachers around the country generally have a better benefits package than most working Americans.

This is the website for information on teacher salaries.

Jenks School District Average Teacher Salary & How to Become a Teacher

Old 03-30-2011, 03:38 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
That's not the teachers' fault. That's the way the system is set up. If you don't like teachers having summers off, then convince your state to change the calendar from an 1800's agrarian style to a perpetual (or year round) calendar.
I never said it was the teacher's fault, nor did I express a like or dislike of it.

Another poster asked what time off I was talking about, I answered. Teachers are paid less, but they get a lot more time off. Summer break, spring break, winter break, some have fall break. It is a lot of time.

Quote:
Once again- you are blaming teachers for something that is completely out of their control. Heck, I'd venture to say that most of us would actually prefer a year-round calendar since so much time is wasted in reviewing year after year.
Once again- you are arguing against something I never said, just like earlier when you implied I said teachers make too much, something I certainly didn't say.

I don't blame the teachers for the calendar, I am just pointing out that they do get a lot more time off than other professionals, and that is part of the reason I'm okay with their salary being lower than others that work an entire year.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
No- I'm basing my entire argument on how the information, depending on the source, is misleading. All I want people to do is check the facts and consider who is doing the "spinning". Public school teachers do not make comfortable salaries as many websites and news outlets would lead you to believe.
Bring us some facts then, I really would be interested to hear it. You keep saying the salaries are twisted by them including administrators, can you point us to average teacher salaries without administrators or proof that the sites showing salaries include administrators and how much that impacts the average?

Pointing out the minimum salary of teachers in Oklahoma doesn't refute any wider teacher salary averages.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Bring us some facts then, I really would be interested to hear it. You keep saying the salaries are twisted by them including administrators, can you point us to average teacher salaries without administrators or proof that the sites showing salaries include administrators and how much that impacts the average?

Pointing out the minimum salary of teachers in Oklahoma doesn't refute any wider teacher salary averages.
I already did in my very first post. Wow.

It's whatever, Slackjaw. I will continue to defend my profession and you will continue to provide every reason to tear it down. I'm taking my ball and going home.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I disagree, it is certainly possible to make it on $35k per year and not live in the slums, and have utilities.
Where I live (VA suburb of Washington D.C.), the median home value for my zip code in '09, according to City-Data, is $432,734. A first year teacher with a B.S. starts at $44k. I recently had someone honestly tell me that a first year teacher should start at $35k. Now I know that a first year teacher isn't going out and buying a new house, but $35k in this area would be way too low IMO.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:14 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The fact that you have an opportunity to supplement that salary during the summer months when you are off is a plus, not a negative, of your profession.
This may be easier said than done. For about 12 years I taught elementary summer school for four weeks each summer. When budget cuts nixed the summer school program I looked into other positions for the summer. School ends the 3rd week of June and teachers go back the last week of August. It isn't easy finding temp work to fill in that gap.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I know a teacher that was making more than $78K a year in NJ.

I did his taxes today.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I already did in my very first post. Wow.
I don't see where you proved anything. You showed tables of minimum salaries, and a link to an average salary. That doesn't prove anything regarding average teacher salaries.

Quote:
It's whatever, Slackjaw. I will continue to defend my profession and you will continue to provide every reason to tear it down. I'm taking my ball and going home.
I'm not trying to tear it down, you started the thread to instigate discussion on teachers salaries and I merely stated my opinion that your salary seemed fair given the pension and time off.

Now it seems you are leaving in a huff because you have been unable to convince me of your side by attacking straw man after straw man instead of the questions or points being made.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Where I live (VA suburb of Washington D.C.), the median home value for my zip code in '09, according to City-Data, is $432,734.
I honestly don't see how most can afford a house at $432k, be they a teacher, an accountant, a fireman, a retail manager, or a whatever. That is a problem with housing prices, not salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching