U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM

25,371 posts, read 28,760,052 times

Advertisements

It's getting to be that time of year again. Time to think about a summer job to supplement my income (at least get back what I spend out of pocket on my room). I'm open to suggestions. What types of industries hire summer help? What would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,444,919 times
Summer Camp Jobs--www.seriousteachers.com Yes, it is more than ironic that you would have to go to Taiwan to find people, who want to learn English during the Summer.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM

19,808 posts, read 21,639,929 times
When I was in high school, many teachers drove Greyhound in the summer...

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,444,919 times
I have a CDL B in my back pocket, LOL. I've seen some teachers make some good cash painting homes in the Summer.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,482,208 times
My teacher grandfather sold encyclopedias door-to-door in the summer .....

Teaching related positions could include summer school (through your district), summer day camps, or tutoring (either independently or through a company like Sylvan, etc.).

How about full-day childcare for working parents whose kids are out of school? Especially if they're close in age to your own kids, then you could just plan activities for the whole group.

Any seasonal place is a possibility: pools, golf courses, resorts -- whatever there is in your area.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,025,416 times
You can make good money doing SAT prep or private tutoring in the summer around here. $30-40/hour to tutor one-on-one sounds pretty tempting to me, other than the fact that it would be hard to find anything more than half time.

I'm contemplating applying to Target or Staples or somewhere I can get an employee discount to use in August to stock my classroom for the year.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM

80 posts, read 356,788 times
What kind of teacher are you? If you teach HS or Community College level, and have an advanced degree in one of the following: English, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, you can easily make a lot of money doing SAT/GRE tutoring. Joining an institution can net you $25-$30 an hour starting, but if you are pretty good, just freelance and you can charge as much as you want, I have seen $200, but the guy had a PhD in applied mathematics from MIT.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
You can make good money doing SAT prep or private tutoring in the summer around here. $30-40/hour to tutor one-on-one sounds pretty tempting to me, other than the fact that it would be hard to find anything more than half time.

I'm contemplating applying to Target or Staples or somewhere I can get an employee discount to use in August to stock my classroom for the year.
That is a good idea. Given what I spend there every week, the discount alone would be worth working at meijer and they have great sales before school starts.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Gatsby View Post
What kind of teacher are you? If you teach HS or Community College level, and have an advanced degree in one of the following: English, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, you can easily make a lot of money doing SAT/GRE tutoring. Joining an institution can net you $25-$30 an hour starting, but if you are pretty good, just freelance and you can charge as much as you want, I have seen $200, but the guy had a PhD in applied mathematics from MIT.
I am certified in chemistry, physics and math but I've only student taught math so I can't hire out as a math tutor around here. I heard that Sylvan pays about $12/hr but I'm not sure they do chemistry tutoring in the summer. Chemistry is a one time deal. You take it and you're done. They might hire tutors during the year but I doubt summer and I know they won't hire me to teach math because I haven't taught it for their, required, three years.

I'll have to look around to see if anyone else uses chemistry tutors or will hire someone certified in math who has never taught it. Tutoring is a natural fit and would help me WRT connecting with my struggling learners.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,209,713 times
Where I work we're able to sign up for "reserve pay". They take it out of my check every pay, so I get paid all year. I'm also teaching summer school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or