Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM

45 posts, read 115,214 times

Advertisements

AACCCKKK! Please don't cut my salary again! I want to get another job in another state teaching. That can't be a safe move can it...being at the bottom of the totem pole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
My suggestion would be to get out of teaching entirely and do something else. Seriously, teachers are being blamed for all kinds of things that are not their fault and their salaries and benefits are being cut to the bone.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
My suggestion would be to get out of teaching entirely and do something else. Seriously, teachers are being blamed for all kinds of things that are not their fault and their salaries and benefits are being cut to the bone.
Great advice. I have been teaching for 25 years and if I had only opened my eyes earlier I would have gotten out 23 years ago.

It is probably only going to get worse...NC is ready to cut for the 4th straight year. The 2011-2012 budget is only slightly above Mississippi (50th).

Since I taught in state facilities and residential, I do not have a pension. Still, at 51, I believe I have time to start again in somethoing a bit more substantial.

RUN Jennifer5221, RUN....

Old 06-12-2011, 07:28 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Great advice. I have been teaching for 25 years and if I had only opened my eyes earlier I would have gotten out 23 years ago.

It is probably only going to get worse...NC is ready to cut for the 4th straight year. The 2011-2012 budget is only slightly above Mississippi (50th).

Since I taught in state facilities and residential, I do not have a pension. Still, at 51, I believe I have time to start again in somethoing a bit more substantial.

RUN Jennifer5221, RUN....
Try being in Mississippi. I'm bringing home less than $2K/month after 25 years. My only hope is to be able to start double dipping before they make it illegal. Fortunately I'm in a large district and our budget cuts are salary only and not positions. There are a few positions available, but the pay is very low and the conditions are what you would expect for a troubled district in the 50th state. I think I might be eligible for food stamps if my kids were still in school!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 PM

149 posts, read 326,120 times
Teachers I am so sorry to read these comments.
Although I am not a teacher, I appreciate teachers very much for all the hard work you do.
Every time I hear the budget "crisis" news from NYC it starts with "we are going to lay off teachers" and it makes me so upset.
They should cut some of these "do no good" politician jobs who make an enormous amount of money and vote to give themselves raises.
UNREAL

Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Next year will be better for us than the past two. Step plus 1%. The school board had been "trying" to get step plus 2%, but couldn't quite do it. We had freezes the past two years. No reduction in force next year, no increase in class sizes. Full day kindergarten is expanding in 37 schools, so there will be an increase in teacher and IA positions in that area.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Try being in Mississippi. I'm bringing home less than $2K/month after 25 years. My only hope is to be able to start double dipping before they make it illegal. Fortunately I'm in a large district and our budget cuts are salary only and not positions. There are a few positions available, but the pay is very low and the conditions are what you would expect for a troubled district in the 50th state. I think I might be eligible for food stamps if my kids were still in school!

If only rep points were enough. I bring home $2900 on a 10 month payout. Less thanm what I made 3 years ago when I moved to NC from Michigan where the education funds were slashed 4 years ago. I had hoped the slashing was 2-3 years away here in NC. NOT...

My wife sad years ago that teaching was dead end career (and she teaches) but I refused to see it and thought just about the kids. I am a SpEd teacher and actialy wanted to beive I made a difference. But everytime I changed one kids situation, I was targeted by admin and other teachers and eventually forced out.

I just couldn't condone status quo and thought the kids deserved more than worksheets and picturebooks in highschool.

The act of teaching has been very rewarding, but those warm fuzzies will not pay the bills..You can say it ain't about the money, but after you spend $35K or more for a 4 year degree and your siblings are all earning TWO times what you do--and they barely graduated high school--self-respect becomes a priority.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

339 posts, read 975,577 times
That is very unfortunate, I have a lot of respect for teachers, both my parents were educators in the public schools system. Funny how we want to pay teachers babysitter salaries, yet we complain about the quality of education. You get what you pay for. I want the best and the brightest teaching my children and with those salaries its not going to happen. I don't see why good teachers should not have same type of salaries as engineers, accountants, they are also professionals. I don't want my kids spending 6 to 7 hrs a day with people that don't like their jobs or just chose that career because he/she could not get anywhere else. My problem is with their pensions, benefits, tenure rules, those are liabilities the tax payer cannot afford.
Question to teachers: Would you rather be paid 90 - 100k with no benefits, meaning, you pay your insurance (health and life), you save for your retirement. That is how most professionals are paid in the private industry. Maybe a 401k match at most. Wouldn't that be much better? I think it would. No more liabilities for the tax payer but just the salaries, which I consider an investment.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM

339 posts, read 975,577 times
I also wanted to add that my parents also abandoned teaching after only a few years, though they stayed in the public school system. My dad started his teaching career with a masters in Secondary History, was a history teacher for less than 5 years until he realized the salary was too crappy. He left teaching to complete a masters in Social Work and later a Masters in Public Administration to finally become a school principal. Even then the salary was crappy for the ridiculous amount of responsibility he had.

My mom was a Secondary Spanish/theater teacher for five years when she decided to go back to school and do a PhD in Social Work. She became the social work coordinator for the district and also had a crappy salary for the ridiculous amount of responsibility she had.
Two extremely bright people that ended leaving the classroom because the pay was just not enough. They did stay within the system because they loved working and helping teenagers, but most teachers that leave the classroom leave the system altogether.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Wah...do you have a masters degree? Have you done extra classes to get into the highest lane? I was at a Masters plus 32, I did National Board Certification, which gave me a bonus of $3000 for ten years, and I did an extra credential in a needed area, which bumped me up another $3000 a year.

Where I worked that was the way to make more money. I also taught summer school, and extended school year. I was at the top of the pay scale when I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching