Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have my dream job. Is it true that you guys are only allowed to work 6 months per a year?
Well we are mandated to only work a certain amount of time but the media spins it. 100 hours per month and 1000 hours per year. But that is only block time. You are on duty for much more than that.

Depending on seniority you can work as little or as much as you like though. Two years ago I averaged 17.2 days off per month but only made $55k. This year I will average around 12 days off a month but should clear $120k. Not bad for a W2 employee in their 20's who just shows up and goes to work, never brings it home, etc. And I am at a small carrier, the bigger ones pay about 2x.

It's a job people do because we love to do it (not unlike teaching) and make sacrifices to do it. I really do love it, best job in the world IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well we are mandated to only work a certain amount of time but the media spins it. 100 hours per month and 1000 hours per year. But that is only block time. You are on duty for much more than that.

Depending on seniority you can work as little or as much as you like though. Two years ago I averaged 17.2 days off per month but only made $55k. This year I will average around 12 days off a month but should clear $120k. Not bad for a W2 employee in their 20's who just shows up and goes to work, never brings it home, etc. And I am at a small carrier, the bigger ones pay about 2x.

It's a job people do because we love to do it (not unlike teaching) and make sacrifices to do it. I really do love it, best job in the world IMO.
Excellent. I'm in my 20s as well but have chosen another path. The wheels are rolling to the point where I couldn't switch to something as cool as being a pilot. Oh well.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
That would even further prove that public teachers aren't underpaid, and in fact most likely overpaid when relative to their corporate brothers and sisters.

Not really. 10 cents is more than 5 cents, but that doesn't make 10 cents a lot of money.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
I would say the answer is yes to all of those. I was worth less (MUCH less) as a flight instructor teaching others to fly than I am as a pilot flying those same people at an airline. In fact, the airline spent more money on me in the first 2 months of employment training me than I did getting all of my government certificates on my own.
And this is why those who can will do and those who can't will be left to teach.

I disagree. I think a teacher is worth, at least, what they could make in industry. If you're not competitive, you will lose your good employees to the competition. Can we afford for teachers to not be the best?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Excellent. I'm in my 20s as well but have chosen another path. The wheels are rolling to the point where I couldn't switch to something as cool as being a pilot. Oh well.
The happiest guys I've worked with were ones who made the career switch later in life. They used their previous career to pay off their house, save for retirement etc. and get set up and basically just work 3 days a week for min pay as a fun retirement gig with excellent medical and travel benefits. You can live anywhere in the country and commute in, often people live in the outlying areas of the country and commute in to the hub. This means they have low cost of living and work 3 days a week plus a couple several week long vacations. Great way to go to enjoy life IMO.

Mostly union so you don't have to take crap, just show up, do your job and go home. I don't even have a cell phone listed with the company.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
That would even further prove that public teachers aren't underpaid, and in fact most likely overpaid when relative to their corporate brothers and sisters.
Not really. Many people who teach in private schools do so for reasons other than pay. I know several teachers who teach in private schools for religious reasons and a couple who do it because they love to teach but can't deal with the discipline problems in many public schools these days. You can't put a price on that or use it to compare teaching in public schools. If money were no issue, I'd probably teach in a private school where I'd be valued.

I do know teachers who teach in private college prep schools who are paid a lot more than I am and have much easier schedules but I don't think that the public is going to be willing to pay $18,000 per student per year and purchase all books and supplies needed for their student any time soon so we can duplicate that in public schools.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And this is why those who can will do and those who can't will be left to teach.

I disagree. I think a teacher is worth, at least, what they could make in industry. If you're not competitive, you will lose your good employees to the competition. Can we afford for teachers to not be the best?
That answers your own question though. If you can't do the job, you can't honestly expect to compare yourself to someone who is actually doing a job with the same degree.

Teachers in schools don't really teach. They "show and tell", the majority is rote memorization. In college and afterward (in the work force) is where the real teaching and learning is done. Most new pilots at my company haven't ever been exposed to the 121 airline world, it is up to the captains to teach them what they need to know.

Just like those studies posted above show, paying and hiring the best does nothing to increase education levels. This is because teachers need not be "the best" to accomplish their goals. Perhaps a few need to be, for the best and brightest of students who attend AP classes and such, but the majority need only be just "good enough" to show up and present the material.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The happiest guys I've worked with were ones who made the career switch later in life. They used their previous career to pay off their house, save for retirement etc. and get set up and basically just work 3 days a week for min pay as a fun retirement gig with excellent medical and travel benefits. You can live anywhere in the country and commute in, often people live in the outlying areas of the country and commute in to the hub. This means they have low cost of living and work 3 days a week plus a couple several week long vacations. Great way to go to enjoy life IMO.

Mostly union so you don't have to take crap, just show up, do your job and go home. I don't even have a cell phone listed with the company.
I'm a business owner so I don't have it that bad... but my business is so dependent on me being active that if I became a pilot, I'd basically have to shut down and lay off 60 people.

And then there's the part where I haven't reaped all the benefits of all my hard work yet.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Not really. Many people who teach in private schools do so for reasons other than pay. I know several teachers who teach in private schools for religious reasons and a couple who do it because they love to teach but can't deal with the discipline problems in many public schools these days. You can't put a price on that or use it to compare teaching in public schools. If money were no issue, I'd probably teach in a private school where I'd be valued.

I do know teachers who teach in private college prep schools who are paid a lot more than I am and have much easier schedules but I don't think that the public is going to be willing to pay $18,000 per student per year and purchase all books and supplies needed for their student any time soon so we can duplicate that in public schools.
I am a believer that private school is significantly superior to public school. And I went to the #1 public school in my state.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

So become one of those teachers if you can. You keep flip flopping. You are playing devils advocate from both sides. Make a point and stick to it, and acknowledge when we present information against that argument. So far you ignore research and studies that show teacher pay means nothing to education levels, and then when you say private pay is lower we say that is the true market value of a teacher. Then you say private pay is actually more. Seriously, WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching