Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
when you say this to people here, they look at you like you have 3 heads. in reality, low cost private is working in places where what people receive here in welfare would be considered rich! places like nigeria, zimbabwe, china, india, pakistan etc. many of the poor have looked at the product of the public school system and opted for something else.
You HAVE to be joking--the low income schools in these places are succeeding because they have donations from all over the WORLD to support these schools AND their measure of success is FAR different from what we would consider successful. The focus at schools in Zimbabwe is to teach kids to read and farm, not how to do higher level Calculus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
when you say this to people here, they look at you like you have 3 heads. in reality, low cost private is working in places where what people receive here in welfare would be considered rich! places like nigeria, zimbabwe, china, india, pakistan etc. many of the poor have looked at the product of the public school system and opted for something else.
Now if only you could find an army of teachers willing to work for third-world pay, we'd be set.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now if only you could find an army of teachers willing to work for third-world pay, we'd be set.
I'm not signing up. My kids have developed this nasty habit of eating every day.

Personally, I'm giving up. If I'm not valued by society, society can have this job. I'm going to miss it though. It's been fun. Just not fun enough to accept being disrespected, a public scape goat AND work long hours for low wages.

It's funny, they say you don't know what you have until it's gone. That's really true. I really miss being respected for what I do. THAT is worth it's weight in gold. Engineering pay, benefits and retirement aside, just being respected again is worth going back into engineeering. I can go back to things that matter too like the inner city youth engineering program I used to work with. Unfortunately, that is the experience that led me to teaching. I didn't realize that the respect the kids and their parents had for me wasn't because I was teaching their kids but because I was an engineer. I figure I can do First Robotics and the Electric Car Challenge (do they still do this one?) and scratch the itch to teach.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You HAVE to be joking--the low income schools in these places are succeeding because they have donations from all over the WORLD to support these schools AND their measure of success is FAR different from what we would consider successful. The focus at schools in Zimbabwe is to teach kids to read and farm, not how to do higher level Calculus...
Unfortunately, at the rate jobs are leaving this country, that's about what we'll be needing for our kids in 20 years.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know...as for the kids in middle schools are you talking specifically about your town or in general?

In my area. At my school. Every year I have about 140 students. Year before last I made a count of the students who I knew had children. It was 22 students responsible for 26 children. Only about 4 were boys. Four of the girls either had two children or were pregnant with their second before the end of the year. That's only the students that I knew of.

Many of the girls arrive in ninth grade already having had their first child. I haven't made a count so far this year. I know I have one girl pregnant with her second. I've referred her to our parenting center because I'm concerned that she's endangering the baby by wearing jeans instead of maternity pants. She has four weeks to go, and she always wears jeans unzipped. It's not dress code, but the administrators won't address it. Frankly, it's gross. You can see all the way down the back of her pants because she leans over on the desk. No underwear in sight. It's not like I look, but she's got it out there for everyone to see. I have at least five other girls that I know have babies. Some of the boys have two. We're very prolific.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
In my area. At my school. Every year I have about 140 students. Year before last I made a count of the students who I knew had children. It was 22 students responsible for 26 children. Only about 4 were boys. Four of the girls either had two children or were pregnant with their second before the end of the year. That's only the students that I knew of.

Many of the girls arrive in ninth grade already having had their first child. I haven't made a count so far this year. I know I have one girl pregnant with her second. I've referred her to our parenting center because I'm concerned that she's endangering the baby by wearing jeans instead of maternity pants. She has four weeks to go, and she always wears jeans unzipped. It's not dress code, but the administrators won't address it. Frankly, it's gross. You can see all the way down the back of her pants because she leans over on the desk. No underwear in sight. It's not like I look, but she's got it out there for everyone to see. I have at least five other girls that I know have babies. Some of the boys have two. We're very prolific.
Stories like this are just heart breaking. Kids who have kids have so much stacked against them.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Stories like this are just heart breaking. Kids who have kids have so much stacked against them.
Many of 'em are just carrying on the family tradition.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Many of 'em are just carrying on the family tradition.

I know. No one would ever go for it but I think we could improve life quality for many people now AND in the future if we took one generation and forced them to use birth control until they were 21. Many teen parents had teen parents. If you could eliminate teen parenting in just one generation, you'd reduce it for many generations to come.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
The quality of students at private schools is better. Many private schools are church-based, and teachers are willing to teach for less because they are working for the Lord.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I know. No one would ever go for it but I think we could improve life quality for many people now AND in the future if we took one generation and forced them to use birth control until they were 21. Many teen parents had teen parents. If you could eliminate teen parenting in just one generation, you'd reduce it for many generations to come.
I recently read a blurb in the local rag where some 46 year old guy was arrested for abusing his 12-year-old..... grandson. I was like, "um, wow..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching