Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The gangs have been using that as a symbol.

Red or blue signifies which gang they belong to.

<![CDATA[Rosaries Being Used As A Gang Symbol In Tahoe]]>
Interesting. Hasn't happened here yet. I expect it will soon. [Around here, "colors" were banned in the urban system I taught in over 15 years ago; at the same time, many of the poorer schools (especially in the more religious areas) decided to implement dress codes: black and white / or / a dark color and white "uniforms" (basically, dark bottoms, no jeans, white top, dark sweaters. Dark shoes and actual socks. No printed stuff all over shirts...... It worked out well since kids didn't have to have the "new" clothes, the "new" sneakers, etc. Granted, this was for K-8 and HS went back to whatever the current look was.] I am not at all surprised the kids using rosaries for "colors" will claim it as freedom of religion....

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 09-16-2011 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I thought you were harsh with the OP. This is a relaxed forum. Her thoughts were crystal clear to me. There was no reason to call her on the carpet the way you did.
Again, when you put this out there for the world to find, you are just asking for your school to fire you....especially posting on school time/computers, etc. They can and do check websites, doesn't matter if it is a relaxed forum or not, when contracts come up there will always be that little question in the back of the mind of the principal wondering if this person continually uses i vs I in written documents at school??? A typo is one thing, repeated improper use is a big red flag.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, when you put this out there for the world to find, you are just asking for your school to fire you....especially posting on school time/computers, etc. They can and do check websites, doesn't matter if it is a relaxed forum or not, when contracts come up there will always be that little question in the back of the mind of the principal wondering if this person continually uses i vs I in written documents at school??? A typo is one thing, repeated improper use is a big red flag.
Good advice Teachers can get fired by something as small as holding a cocktail in a picture. It's best to not give administrators an easy excuse to fire you.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Good advice Teachers can get fired by something as small as holding a cocktail in a picture. It's best to not give administrators an easy excuse to fire you.
Gee, according to parents here, teachers can't be fired because they have tenure.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I think you are being very dramatic. Very.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Do you have a link about this teacher?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
I read this article several months ago so I can't recall her name atm. I will send you the link when I find it.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Former Teacher Sues For Being Fired For Facebook Pics - News Story - WSB Atlanta

H.S. Teacher Loses Job Over Facebook Posting - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

Reputation.com Blog : Reputation.com
this is the wine drinking picture one..

N.Y. Teacher Could Be Fired Over Controversial Facebook Post

Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,520 times
The student should care about himself. Are you a teacher or a surrogate parent?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Former Teacher Sues For Being Fired For Facebook Pics
That makes very little sense to me. WHY was she fired? Yes, I know she was :gasp: drinking in Italy on :gasp: an adult vacation. But none of that is against the law nor could it be construed as immoral. ESPECIALLY since she was a PS educator.

Quote:
N.Y. Teacher Could Be Fired Over Controversial Facebook Post
Well first of all her colleague is ridiculously immature and a bit of a tattle tale. People should be allowed to vent on their FB walls without fear of losing their job. I'm disgusted that teachers are being fired over crap like this instead of real issues that actually effect their performance and their students.

Quote:
H.S. Teacher Loses Job Over Facebook Posting
Yet again, it seems that some parents get their knickers in a twist over silly, silly things. People can vent and say things without it meaning "their heart isn't in" their job. My goodness. I think it's a damned shame school boards are pandering to the LCDs of society.

No wonder good teachers are a rare commodity these days.

BTW, this is CITY DATA. Not Facebook.

ETA: These teachers were fired for what they said or for photographs, not their internet grammar usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching