Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but a savvy Principal could shut down any parent volunteering, without giving a reason. It is just "understood" that some parents are told that we don't need any help, thanks. No reason has to be given. Some parents are just told that all the volunteer jobs are taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
A similar type incident (although no accusations of anything sexual, thank Flying Spaghetti Monster) was the last straw for me in teaching. One morning, the principal called me into her office out of the blue to ask for my side of a story in which one of my students accused me of pushing her down to the floor at the end of a school day, which never happened. My principal asked me what I would say to her parents when they showed up to confront me, which they were planning to do, and I said, "I'd tell them the truth- their daughter is a liar." I pretty much decided on the spot that I needed to find something else to do with my life, and left the field altogether about a month later.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Are you allowed to sue students for false accusations?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:31 AM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry, but a savvy Principal could shut down any parent volunteering, without giving a reason. It is just "understood" that some parents are told that we don't need any help, thanks. No reason has to be given. Some parents are just told that all the volunteer jobs are taken.
They have already said that. too late to be "savvy". anyways, why do you guys answer in place of the school? let them have their chance.
What do you suggest to the OP's husband anyway? Not to sue? Not to try? go away and die?
You guys do not understand one thing, this is not the school that is going to be sued. This is a different school.

Last edited by Dressy; 09-25-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Just explaining that volunteering at a school is not a "right". And for no reason at all can be terminated at any time by a Principal for no reason.

Maybe the OP's spouse would be better off looking for work, and talking to an employment counselor about WIA funds for additional training, and going to school to upgrase skills for another profession.

It is easy for us to support the OP, and tell her to get a lawyer, but unless this family has a lot of extra money, that is not easy to do. And any progress could take years.

Frustrating? Yes. But focus on things that you can control, and move forward.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you allowed to sue students for false accusations?
No, they are minors but you might be able to sue their parents since parents are responsible for damages their children cause whether by accident or on purpose.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
Although it IS important to get the perverts out of the classroom, its just as important NOT to get rid of an able teacher just because a ticked off teenager has a vendetta against him/her.

Like one of the posters said, in today's society men are like the women during the Witch Craft Trials. If a woman says I touched her inappropriately, the burden of proof that I did not do so is on me and even if I am found to be innocent, society will view me as a nasty pervert.

Not that this has happened to me thank GOD, but this is exactly the reason why I stay away from certain promiscuous women and try my best not to tick some brat off.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Although it IS important to get the perverts out of the classroom, its just as important NOT to get rid of an able teacher just because a ticked off teenager has a vendetta against him/her.

Like one of the posters said, in today's society men are like the women during the Witch Craft Trials. If a woman says I touched her inappropriately, the burden of proof that I did not do so is on me and even if I am found to be innocent, society will view me as a nasty pervert.

Not that this has happened to me thank GOD, but this is exactly the reason why I stay away from certain promiscuous women and try my best not to tick some brat off.
Not that I'm blaming you but the brats just get worse because they know they hold the power when everyone tries not to tick them off....I just have to wonder how bad this will get before it gets better...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM

178 posts, read 332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
1. Do that carefully. They may retract that denial if they realize they goofed up. Do not push too hard at first. Remember, it is NOT your parental rights that you are after, it is the source of the defamation that you want to extract from them.
Contact them by e-mail. Do not threaten them and be too formal in the beginning. Inquire mildly why your husband can't volunteer as much as others? Explain, that you husband is not unemployed and has lots of time to volunteer. So, he wants to be helpful.
And his help can be very useful to them, since he has a lot of experience in working with children. He also has a lot of experience in educating children. Pretend that you are clueless. Pretend that you are harmless. Pretend that by volunteering first, he is hoping to get some job with them in the future. This will make you look helpless and they will make more mistakes that you will use in your favor.
(yes, I am a very bad person )

2. As for putting everything in writing, I am surprised that you have not yet done that.
Compile a letter to lawyers. Wait until you are better equipped with the source of defamation. Once you have the evidence, that there was in fact a call, and someone spread bad rumors about your husband, THEN start sending your letter to lawyers.
But wait until you have a real evidence. It would be better. If someone who spread bad rumors find out you are planning to sue they may start hide away.

3. Keep us posted.
The decision from the new school just happened this last Wed. My husband was very upset. Everything was handled in a verbal manner and the super had two other admin in the room during the meeting. By email will be the easiest way to ask for documentation.

We have documentation from the other school, but I'm talking about a step by step explanation from day one. There are so many little details to explain. WHen we found out from the police that there was no crime and my husband got hired as a sub in May we tried to just move on. We weren't happy with the situation but just wanted to move on with life. It is depressing to have to be constantly in fight mode. But now we are being forced to fight back, because they can bully us again. If my husband gets a job anywhere at any state town or country and they decide to make trouble for us they will make a call and we are back at day one. The only way my husband can get a new job in any industry without looking over our shoulders is by the new employer knowing the whole story.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post

Seriously? You honestly think that a woman who is truly promiscuous is going to lie about being touched by a man? I hate to break it to you, but believing that a woman is promiscuous b/c other people say that she is, and then making unwarranted advances, is precisely what causes most sexual harrassment suits--not the woman's actual promiscuity. If she were actually promiscuous, she would have no problem with anyone touching her, even inappropriately.

Moreover, those laws are in place to afford protection to women, and one case does not mean that men are being "victimized" b/c they no longer have carte blanche to touch women indiscriminately without impunity. And you label "certain" women as promiscuous I also can't believe that someone who labels "certain" women as promiscuous--which is a label that men (and women) use to victimize women--is actually trying to hypocritically claim that men are "victimized" by such women.

I certainly don't agree with what is happening to the OP, but this doesn't mean that sexual harassment laws victimize men. In fact, they are in place so that men can no longer victimize women.

The problem here is not that these laws are in place but that people decide to take the law into their own hands, which is illegal, and which is why defamation is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching