Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM

63 posts, read 115,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkygirl View Post
If it was that easy, it would have been done ages ago. The response will be that all students have a right to a public education. Perhaps if a teacher was repeatedly physically assualted.....but now resources are so slim I can imagine administration arguing that there was nothing they could do to help. It's great that some people are durable enough to keep at it for years, but if some burn out, well, that's to be expected.
It was done ages ago... When I went to school, not only could they "kick you out," but they could "bust your ass" as well. Nothing said "you better shut your mouth" like a proudly displayed paddle on the wall behind a teachers desk, all custom painted with holes drilled through it to cut down on wind resistance. Or, if the teacher didn't want to get her hands dirty, the asst. principal or any coach would be more than happy to oblige. Got my fair share.

BTW I kicked kids out of my class all the time up until I resigned last year. "Get out!" This one kid got kicked out of my class almost on a daily basis. The only things he cared to talk about was getting high or some other completely inappropriate non-sense. It didn't help that my principals were clueless on enforcing discipline. I did what I had to do to maintain order and protect the other students from catching his disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 AM

616 posts, read 854,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Johnson 44 View Post
It was done ages ago... When I went to school, not only could they "kick you out," but they could "bust your ass" as well. Nothing said "you better shut your mouth" like a proudly displayed paddle on the wall behind a teachers desk, all custom painted with holes drilled through it to cut down on wind resistance. Or, if the teacher didn't want to get her hands dirty, the asst. principal or any coach would be more than happy to oblige. Got my fair share.

BTW I kicked kids out of my class all the time up until I resigned last year. "Get out!" This one kid got kicked out of my class almost on a daily basis. The only things he cared to talk about was getting high or some other completely inappropriate non-sense. It didn't help that my principals were clueless on enforcing discipline. I did what I had to do to maintain order and protect the other students from catching his disease.
If digital cameras were in back then I would have some sweet photos of custom made paddles some of my teachers had..lol...one teacher had one that was actually shaped like an ass so when she used it, she never missed your cheeks..lol..boy that paddle hurt like hell too and it was painted red to make it hurt worse..lol..that red color did something to me, got my butt focused straight in class. no more acting out.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If it was that easy, it would have been done ages ago. The response will be that all students have a right to a public education. Perhaps if a teacher was repeatedly physically assualted.....but now resources are so slim I can imagine administration arguing that there was nothing they could do to help. It's great that some people are durable enough to keep at it for years, but if some burn out, well, that's to be expected.
It was that easy years ago. now, teachers are landlocked. this is why I'm all for teacher toting pistols. since the parents can't tame their hellish children that Colt .45 definitely will. not

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
It was that easy years ago. now, teachers are landlocked. this is why I'm all for teachers/professors toting pistols. since the parents can't tame their hellish children that Colt .45 definitely will. I bet those kids won't threatened the teacher if that see that holster and gun metal

Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
I would probably video your kid first. Getting angry at the police will only raise their suspicions.

Oh, yes, good point---we are trying to catch DS on tape.

I realize I'm OT somewhat, so won't post anymore here, except to say I totally sympathsize with teachers who's hands are tied. My cousin retired from teaching last year, she does sub now and then. she said she was actually afraid of some of her students, and she was teaching 2nd grade! hey, an 8-year old can be strong, and she's a little lady, 65.

It used to be teacher's word was law, now, its nothing----

Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I feel completely supported, speaking for myself - the team at my school presents a united front. I realize this is not the case in every school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

It's a probably a really good thing you're not teaching anymore, given your attitude toward students with disabilities.

You might be an enabler who thinks everybody is a college graduate.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
That's what "they"(Government) wants you to do. throw your hands up in disgust so they can step in and put all the kids to work. learning goes out the door. now you just have a generation of workers. which is exactly what the government wants. warms bodies with social security numbers.

You may be right. Hats off to those who are capable of so much self-sacrifice to save the world.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
This is just one of the problems contributing to the failure of our education system. A society full of entitlement and lack of parenting are definitely ingredients that play a role.
How about a society full of entitlement and too much "parenting" without any time-tested "child rearing"? ...

Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Believe me, the parents can't do anything, either. If I so much as frown at my ds, he calls CPS---that's the truth! They tell him any time he feels "threatened" by his family to call 911, which he has done on numerous occasions. I'm sick of finding police in my house. I even had a cop out here tell ME "the problem with you, lady, is you always have to have the last word"

Hey, in the first place, its ma'am, not "lady" said in a saracastic tone. Then, who said there was a problem with me---I told ds to finish his homework and go to bed. And, of course I have the last word---don't I? I'm the P-A-R-E-N-T! Not the scapegoat! Also, every time they come out here they give ds their card and actually encourage him to call them anytime he feels like his parents are "making him feel bad"

Teachers have no authority anymore, but neither do parents. imagine law enforcement taking sides with a bratty 14-year old and "telling the parent off" doesn't that empower the kid? What am I supposed to do, tell ds do his homework if he likes, and go to bed when he pleases? Next they will go to school and upbraid the teacher for telling the kid something he doesn't like.

I agreee parents should be ALLOWED to be accountable for their kids' behavior, shouldn't law enforcement stand behind parents, instead of allowing and encouraging a kid to do as he pleases and call the cops on his parents if he doesn't like something?

Next time---and there will be a next time with DS---we will be prepared to videotape the whole thing and see who would like to see it---local news, CNN, Dr Phil----Cops encourage kid to call 911 if he doesn't like parents "rules"
You are kidding, right? Can you pretty please confirm?

:shocked ::shocke d:

PS: Hmmm...thinking about a good country to ask political asylum in ...

Old 09-22-2011, 04:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Believe me, the parents can't do anything, either. If I so much as frown at my ds, he calls CPS---that's the truth! They tell him any time he feels "threatened" by his family to call 911, which he has done on numerous occasions. I'm sick of finding police in my house. I even had a cop out here tell ME "the problem with you, lady, is you always have to have the last word"
I hear this and wonder where in the world this actually happens? I have never seen a child actually call CPS on his parents. I'm not doubting you, but I don't quite understand how your child got to the point of doing this. What kinds of threats is your child experiencing that lead him to call CPS or the police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching