Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Teachers should model the behavior they want the kids to emulate. Thus, unless the teacher wants to be told to shut his/her mouth, I think s/he should not be saying this even if s/he is frustrated.

The teacher should stop talking completely until the class settles down. Perhaps have a signal - turning off the lights for a minute, clapping hands or something of that nature - to indicate that the kids need to listen. Perhaps a sign that can be pointed to. Another technique is to whisper. Often the kids will strain to hear a whisper and will quiet down when you do this.

With younger kids, we used to tell them that they needed to put their outside voices into a big bag and that the voices could not come out until we went outside for recess.
You think that the proper way to deal with a teenager that "won't stop talking" is to point at a sign or whisper? Obviously, they aren't paying attention to begin with. By WON'T, its obvious that they have been requested to stop talking in some manner, the teacher didn't just walk in to a classroom and start with "shut your mouth". No wonder our education system is in dispair, everyone is so unwilling to discipline. And to say that because you tell a child to shut their mouth, you can expect them to say that to you, is outrageous. Should the teacher also expect to be sent to the office, or scolded, because she does that to students? They are on different levels.

I remember being in highschool, and getting away with murder in some classrooms. Being so rude to some teachers, that I shudder at my past behavior. Then there were those teachers, in which I was the model of perfection, and never missed an assignment and was pushed to my potential. Those were the teachers that probably would not have hesitated to tell me to shut my mouth and sit my butt down..... had I dared to push the envelope- althought I'm SURE I never did, expectations were CRYSTAL CLEAR on day one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Teachers should model the behavior they want the kids to emulate.
Yep.

Kids learn disrespect, like they learn anything, by watching others.

One can enforce rules and communicate expectations without exemplifying the very behavior that's being targeted for eradicating. Disrespect breeds disrespect.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I've been in classrooms where I was in the front of the room..3 strikes and you're out in the hall. Two polite "Please stop the noise" and then "out in the hall".
It's not fair to the other 20+ students that one wants to sing and talk louder than the adult in the room trying to give instructions.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Teachers should model the behavior they want the kids to emulate. Thus, unless the teacher wants to be told to shut his/her mouth, I think s/he should not be saying this even if s/he is frustrated.

The teacher should stop talking completely until the class settles down. Perhaps have a signal - turning off the lights for a minute, clapping hands or something of that nature - to indicate that the kids need to listen. Perhaps a sign that can be pointed to. Another technique is to whisper. Often the kids will strain to hear a whisper and will quiet down when you do this.

With younger kids, we used to tell them that they needed to put their outside voices into a big bag and that the voices could not come out until we went outside for recess.
I have only ever taught high school students and the majority of that time was in a G/T school with nearly no discipline problems and I cannot imagine whispering to get my students attention, let alone clapping, pointing at a sign or flickering the lights. It is frequently difficult to gain the trust and respect of students who think you treat them as "babies" and once gone, it is almost impossible to get back.

It is not possible to emulate not-talking in a classroom where you have to talk in order to instruct. So while I am careful to ask nicely the first, and even second time, there is no way I am going to endlessly be a doormat for those with poor attitudes and behavior. High school students are old enough to understand what is TOLD to them as well as what is shown to them and it is completely reasonable to demonstrate drastic disapproval when warranted.

I have told students that not talking meant closing one's mouth, especially when they interrupt each other (my biggest pet peeve) when asking for help or other questions. I have also had them come in and sit silently for their entire lunch period since they decided to talk throughout a class period.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Now, I hate professors who ignore the talkers. A lot of university professors do not care.
So you sit in a lecture, trying to follow. And somebody is buzzying and buzzying and buzzying.
And I simply cannot concentrate on the lecture (and that was mostly math).

Talkers, I paid for this lecture, as much as you did, unless you want to pay my tuition,
SHUT YOUR MOUTH UP!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
You have to teach the right way from the beginning of the year. You cannot expect respect if you don't respect the students.

If you have only one student who is doing this, then it is easy to say they must go out into the hall (if the administration allows it, not all do). However, if you have many students who are doing this, you need another tactic.

Of course, the first order of business is to handle this early in the year by teaching kids what they are supposed to do. Notice that kids today really do NOT know what the rules are because they are used to talking. It is interesting to me that kids who go to a live theater performance have to be reminded that the actors are not on tv. Much of the problem comes from the fact that we no longer teach kids to be polite early on. Seriously you would not have teenagers doing this if they were taught to be polite in the early years.

Things that can be done

1. Arrange the classroom so that talkative kids are not next to one another.
2. Walk around the classroom during lectures and when kids are supposed to be working. This can discourage them from getting off task.
3. Design your lesson plans so that they are engaging as much as possible.
4. Create simple rules, post them where the kids can see them and enforce them consistently. TEACH the RULES at the beginning of the year. DON'T ASSUME the kids will automatically know them. You can even practice the rules in a fun way during a lesson. One example from a teacher my son had was a test with the first instruction being read this test all the way through before you do anything. Then the questions had silly things like #1. Stand up and wave. Etc. At the end of the test, the last instruction was *write your name on this paper, turn the paper over and do none of the questions.* It was hilarious and it taught the kids that particular rule.
5. Reinforce positive behavior. I know that people think teenagers don't need this, but they do. One of my son's best high school teachers had a statue of the thinker that he would place on the desk of a student who was concentrating, working hard and really solving the problems. The kids all wanted that recognition.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
I would talk to the teacher. I'm sure if you made the teacher aware of how the student was taking this they would rethink their words. Could have been a bad day or they say it all the time. If the teacher is being disrespectful to the students they won't gain their respect.

Sure, talk to the teacher! Take more time out of her busy day, to sit there and chat with you, because your kid can't ****!

Hey, I wouldn't let anyone think I had nothing better to do than berate some poor teracher because he told my kid to shut up---like lets call a school board meeting while we're at it! if I were that teacher, i would hate you and your bratty kid forever more!

Instead, I would realize my kid had given her a hard time. without making it an issue, I might do somwething nice for her, like perhaps, send in a gift card for room supplies, just something to let her know the kid isn't raised by inconsiderate trash!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 09-23-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
There is an easy solution if the kids don't want to hear that kind of thing. Shut the hell up.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALonelyMan View Post
A high school teacher or any teacher who students won't stop talking tells their students to "shut your mouth,I don't want to hear your voice",I understand that teachers sometimes can get frustrated with students especially with teenagers,but is "shut your mouth" crossing the line?
Impossible to tell out of context. That wouldn't be the best first response, but when you say "students won't stop talking" that clearly suggests it isn't a first response, but that this is an ongoing issue.

We do students no favors when we expect nothing of them, when we allow them to be lazy, not to learn, and sit complacently by rather than instilling a sense of discipline and the understanding that it is disrespectful to disrupt class so that others cannot learn. And as others have wisely pointed out, if the students don't want to be reprimanded for talking, there is a simple solution.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM

178 posts, read 332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Sure, talk to the teacher! Take more time out of her busy day, to sit there and chat with you, because your kid can't ****!

Hey, I wouldn't let anyone think I had nothing better to do than berate some poor teracher because he told my kid to shut up---like lets call a school board meeting while we're at it! if I were that teacher, i would hate you and your bratty kid forever more!

Instead, I would realize my kid had given her a hard time. without making it an issue, I might do somwething nice for her, like perhaps, send in a gift card for room supplies, just something to let her know the kid isn't raised by inconsiderate trash!
I just think communication is better than assuming something bad is going on. If people would ask questions rather than jumping to conclusions life would be a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching