U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM

7,717 posts, read 10,571,563 times

Advertisements

Looked for the old thread and couldn't find it.

Just found out today that North Carolina is adding a 6th standard to the teacher evaluation program.
This 6th standard will evaluate Teacher Effectiveness.

As it was explained to me, it will not matter if you have distinguished (9 out of 10) in all the other 5 standards--if you have practicing (6 out of 10 or lower) you will be in danger of losing your job.

The standard will look at 3 years of testing scores and this will become part of your permanent record and the SINGLE biggest reason you get your contract renewed.

Ain't I glad this is my last year in this dismal abyss we used to know as education...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM

22,392 posts, read 17,165,578 times
If they tie test scores to my PR, I won't stay in teaching. I have no control over test scores. My students are not just the product of my classroom. They are the sum total of their parents/homelife and every teacher they had before me.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,427,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If they tie test scores to my PR, I won't stay in teaching. I have no control over test scores. My students are not just the product of my classroom. They are the sum total of their parents/homelife and every teacher they had before me.
hahahahahahahahahahaha

that's funny! Don't you realize that has no bearing on anything? It's all YOU!

I thank the good lord above every single day that I got out.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM

22,392 posts, read 17,165,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
hahahahahahahahahahaha

that's funny! Don't you realize that has no bearing on anything? It's all YOU!

I thank the good lord above every single day that I got out.
It amazes me that anyone is stupid enough to tie a teacher's PR to test scores. If my students arrive at my door unprepared for my class, for whatever reason, I can't teach my standards. I have to do damage control first.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM

959 posts, read 848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Just found out today that North Carolina is adding a 6th standard to the teacher evaluation program.

As it was explained to me, it will not matter if you have distinguished (9 out of 10) in all the other 5 standards--if you have practicing (6 out of 10 or lower) you will be in danger of losing your job.

The standard will look at 3 years of testing scores and this will become part of your permanent record and the SINGLE biggest reason you get your contract renewed.

Ain't I glad this is my last year in this dismal abyss we used to know as education...
We have this new formula to be used (and when our principal put it up at our last faculty meeting we all laughed as it looked like something Einstein would have done!) and test scores is part of ours as well, but not only of our students, but of our school overall, so if you don't have kids who test, you take the school's score and that will be 50% of your evaluation! However, there are a lot more variables than this that I don't have time to share at the moment...BUT what makes it totally insane, is that we do not get our FCAT and school scores until the following year, soooooo your evaluator or evey YOU may not even be at the same school to finish the evaluation!

AND like you, I am glad this is MY last year too, and I jokingly told my evaluator, if she is in a "pinch" and has run out of time, to not even bother coming in as I will NOT be here next year! I really think the inmates are running the aslyum....

Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,909,663 times
We are headed in that direction. Starting in 2012, 40% of our evaluation will be based on student performance. As far as standardized tests are concerned, they are often a snapshot of a child at that moment. I've had students not pass and the only reason was they got off track while bubbling in their answers and couldn't get back on track.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM

346 posts, read 254,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We are headed in that direction. Starting in 2012, 40% of our evaluation will be based on student performance. As far as standardized tests are concerned, they are often a snapshot of a child at that moment. I've had students not pass and the only reason was they got off track while bubbling in their answers and couldn't get back on track.
Yes it's ridiculous on many levels, what if your student is like my son, a poor test taker....

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

7,717 posts, read 10,571,563 times
Seriously, education has run amuck. I was a solid "C" student in high school. Bored and didn't give a sheet. In college I made high "B" and "A's" because I was interested in what I did. I spent 10 hours a day on campus, 4 of them in the library reading content that wasn't even related to my studies...
In elementary school I scored the 96th percentile on the IOWA//what happened once I got to high school?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM

6,225 posts, read 5,597,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

So, so glad I don't teach in North Carolina anymore. It's a great state, but I'd never teach there again.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,909,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
Yes it's ridiculous on many levels, what if your student is like my son, a poor test taker....
If a student gets off track while bubbling, we are not allowed to help the student adjust. The child is on his own. For example, they realize they are on #35 in the booklet, but are answering #33 on the scan sheet. I've had to collect answer sheets knowing it's messed up and all I can do is make a note of it as a testing irregularity.

I had another student (third grade), who scored a big "zero" because I caught him sneaking the use of a calculator and I had to tell the testing coordinator. Both were students who should have passed with an advanced rating. Maybe next time I'll just have to look the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching