Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

168 posts, read 338,416 times

Advertisements

This thread is really because the OP is angry that people spoke about his/her lack of ENglish language skills. Most people expect teachers to be competent, dedicated professionals and we understand that teachers do not know everything. However, it is expected that teachers will have a good grasp of the language spoken in the country in which they are looking to teach.

OP, it is really that simple. I speak a foreign language, but if I want to be a teacher in a country where that language was spoken, I would seriously immerse myself and brush up before trying to to get a job. I speak fine and I get my point across, but I would want to polish my language skills first. If you really want to teach here, you need to the same. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We don't expect teachers to "know it all", but we do expect the ones teaching in America the schools to know the difference between "most" and "must".
Ditto.......

Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So? That's not a big deal. You need to understand that it is OK not to know as long as you help the kids find the answer.

One of my son's best physics teachers would tell the kids if he didn't know an answer and encourage the research needed to find it. He had very little he was not able to answer, but he did this when he didn't know something and the kids (AP kids), appreciated his willingness to be open about it.
I suspect that you son's physics teacher was crafty enough to understand the teaching value of not knowing everything ....

I do this a lot as a sales tactic when I'm working with clients. When they ask a question about something that's important to them, learning how to research the answer in our product is as vital as having the answer for no effort.

They rarely forget the research lesson and are far more capable of using my products to their advantage in the future.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
This thread is really because the OP is angry that people spoke about his/her lack of ENglish language skills. Most people expect teachers to be competent, dedicated professionals and we understand that teachers do not know everything. However, it is expected that teachers will have a good grasp of the language spoken in the country in which they are looking to teach.

OP, it is really that simple. I speak a foreign language, but if I want to be a teacher in a country where that language was spoken, I would seriously immerse myself and brush up before trying to to get a job. I speak fine and I get my point across, but I would want to polish my language skills first. If you really want to teach here, you need to the same. Simple as that.
I would agree. It's not personal, OP -- I'm sure you're a lovely person, but unfortunately, even if you're not teaching English grammar, writing, or literature, you're communicating ideas. Ideas need to be communicated clearly in order to be understood.

Speaking as a parent, it's been very frustrating when my daughter's teachers have given assignment directions which were ambiguous. For example, in the direction, "For questions #1-3, answer in one paragraph," does the teacher mean that the student is to write a single paragraph which addresses questions #1-3, or does he mean to write one paragraph per question? One paragraph or three? Obviously, choosing either option could be risky.

Knowing English well could alert a teacher to those potential areas of uncertainty, and I'm sure that with dedicated study and immersion in the language, your language skills will improve immensely. However, as it stands now, I would recommend further study before beginning my career as a teacher of native English speakers.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 AM

234 posts, read 882,767 times
If any of you went around this site and go to any threads or posts and READ, you will see a lot of grammar and misspelled words, a lot of mistakes. So, my question is:
For the people who are bashing me.

Why are these people (AMERICAN born, so called english speakers) making mistakes in their grammar and misspelling words?

So don't judge me, for I know my limitation and weakness and I have the guts to acknowledge it. I plan to overcome this limitation and weakness. And I will be the best teacher out there.
I know what I want, and I am going after my dreams. Not many can say the same.
And people like me who have high self esteem and go after our dreams, will always come across losers who only have mean things to say.

I am within, my rights, according to the terms of service and I do follow rules. Now for those who are being rude and correcting others when is not asked, they are breaking the site rules. If I was a mean person, I would report you all, that are here just to judge and be rude. But since I am an adult, I am going to let it go, for I HAVE A LIFE.

The end of story. I am not going to be here arguing with ignorance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-31-2012 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: fixed some typos and removed (some) rude remarks

Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
A terms of service http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html reminder for ALL posters:
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
and
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-31-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
Teachers are not encyclopedias that they most know it all. A teacher most dominate the area which she will teach. She most have at least 90% to 95% knowledge of what she going is teaching, the subject matter. The other 10% or 5% that she is lacking knowledge of, she most do research and get her self up to date, before she gives a class, so she doesn't pass on wrong information.

Teachers like I said are not encyclopedias, for they are human beings. They will one day or another make a mistake. Humans are bound to do mistakes one time or another. No one is perfect, expect one human being that I know of, was Jesus.

Teachers like doctors need to be more cautions, YES. And try not giving wrong information or doing any mistakes. Try to correct themselves when they do or try not doing them at all.

The keyword here is TRY. Especially doctor who handles lives, they MOST try not doing any kind of mistake. And teachers Do and most try knowing the subject matter she will teach.

But even doctors, it is rare but doctors do diagnose people with a wrong symptom saying it is a seriously. Example if you have the flu and you end up just having a normal cold. Just giving an example. That is why there is second opinions.

Anyways, point is that if an English teacher teaches english, she must know what is a verb, linking verb, adverb, and be able to tell the differences and the similarity and what not. Yes, but if she does a mistake and a student correct her she should be able to accept she did a mistake, or if she caught herself doing a mistake try to correct it.

A teacher teaching pre-school or kindergarten must know that there are short vowel A sound and long vowel A sound . And be able to teach the sounds by rhymes so the student can learn to read and differentiate the sounds of the As and so on.
And know that a child of 3 will not learn like a child of 5 and blah blah...

The point is each teacher, if she is an art teacher, english teacher, elementary, or pre-school teacher, she needs to know and have skills to be able to handle the job.

Okay, so for those who think a teacher is Jesus and most be perfect. Think again for she is a human being and will do mistake. The point is facing up to your mistakes and know your limits and TRYING TO OVERCOME THEM.
Teachers are generally not thought to be perfect. I have several friends and family members are teachers. I've never thought of them as having to be different then me, which is certainly not perfect.

However, if they were planning to go into a field where they were to teach my children, I would indeed expect them to not only know how to speak correctly, but also how write clearly. For someone whose native language is not English, I think you are doing extremely well at expressing yourself Romila and I'm sure that with time your written English will improve.

I think the fear for most posters is that if your posts are an indication of your ability right now that you really will not be able to get a job here because you will be competing with people who do not have a language barrier. As I've mentioned before, there are already thousands of out of work (certified) teachers desperately looking for work.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
To add to this^^^ post, even if your grammar is excellent (and I agree, the mistakes you have written are pretty minor), a discernible accent will work against you too. My children have complained in the past when they were assigned teachers they found difficult to understand. The guidance counselors would find themselves with multiple requests to transfer into a different class.

When our middle son went to college, his advisor told him one of the most important ways to set himself up for success was to make sure he took classes with native English speaking professors.

Right or wrong, it will happen.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM

155 posts, read 347,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
And just because we work in a job that is publicly funded doesn't mean we are able to do anything you need us to for free.

I teach computers and a web design class in high school. I have had 3 different parents bring their computer into my classroom (while I'm teaching) and describe a problem they are having with their computer and ask me could I please tell them what is wrong or fix it? Yesterday, when I was in the grocery store, I had a parent tell me she heard I taught web design, she just started a new business and she wondered if I could "whip up" a quick webpage for her. I told her about a local company that designs web pages, and she said "Yeah, but they will charge me". Then I told her about a class she could take at a local community college to teach HER to do the webpage, and she said she was too busy to take a class.

The 3 parents who brought in their computer? I told them about the local computer repair store, but they said they didn't want to do that because it would cost them to get it fixed. One of them insisted "Can't you take a quick look and tell me what is wrong? It won't take long."
You are missing out. I am a high school computer science teacher too. I tell parents like this, "I would be more than happy to help you. My consultation fee is $200 an hour with a minimum of two hours upfront. Can I give you a call after school?" I don't know why they suddenly no longer need my services.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
And just because we work in a job that is publicly funded doesn't mean we are able to do anything you need us to for free.

I teach computers and a web design class in high school. I have had 3 different parents bring their computer into my classroom (while I'm teaching) and describe a problem they are having with their computer and ask me could I please tell them what is wrong or fix it? Yesterday, when I was in the grocery store, I had a parent tell me she heard I taught web design, she just started a new business and she wondered if I could "whip up" a quick webpage for her. I told her about a local company that designs web pages, and she said "Yeah, but they will charge me". Then I told her about a class she could take at a local community college to teach HER to do the webpage, and she said she was too busy to take a class.

The 3 parents who brought in their computer? I told them about the local computer repair store, but they said they didn't want to do that because it would cost them to get it fixed. One of them insisted "Can't you take a quick look and tell me what is wrong? It won't take long."
Please, for the love of God, tell me that you told them NO!

I know someone that is like this..they go to my friend who is a chiropractor..and they have never paid once! Just because you are a teacher doesn't mean that you are a doormat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching