U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 AM

234 posts, read 717,760 times

Advertisements

My friend she is a new teacher. Have done substitutions of one day only, to substituting for one month, even has far as 6 months.
So, in her resume it is filled with substitutions experiences, I am talking about since she got started in 2009, she has like 50 different substitutions on her resume.

From that, with just a list of experiences, she got her first job, as a first grand teacher. She is not tenure. Of course that will take time, like an year or 3 of experience. If she even get tenure, since many states has decided not to tenure teachers anymore.

She has no benefits, such as health and dental plan, and etc.

I mean when a teacher is tenured, she has benefits such as health and dental plan, a good retirement plan, and so on. Of course that benefits get taken from the person salary, a percentage of it.

So, when day she got really sick and couldn't to go a doctor, because she has no money. And then she need to go to the dentist, again no money.

So she decide to apply for the welfare, health and dental assistance. And guess what because of her low income and her situation she got it. They even asked her if she need food stamps.

I mean. Can someone with a low income, a public worker, a teacher get these benefits? welfare?

She earns like 26 thousand a year. Which I think is sad, for all the money she wasted in college. She is from CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 AM

7,894 posts, read 12,157,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
My friend she is a new teacher. Have done substitutions of one day only, to substituting for one month, even has far as 6 months.
So, in her resume it is filled with substitutions experiences, I am talking about since she got started in 2009, she has like 50 different substitutions on her resume.

From that, with just a list of experiences, she got her first job, as a first grand teacher. She is not tenure. Of course that will take time, like an year or 3 of experience. If she even get tenure, since many states has decided not to tenure teachers anymore.

She has no benefits, such as health and dental plan, and etc.

I mean when a teacher is tenured, she has benefits such as health and dental plan, a good retirement plan, and so on. Of course that benefits get taken from the person salary, a percentage of it.

So, when day she got really sick and couldn't to go a doctor, because she has no money. And then she need to go to the dentist, again no money.

So she decide to apply for the welfare, health and dental assistance. And guess what because of her low income and her situation she got it. They even asked her if she need food stamps.

I mean. Can someone with a low income, a public worker, a teacher get these benefits? welfare?

She earns like 26 thousand a year. Which I think is sad, for all the money she wasted in college. She is from CA.
Are you sure she is full-time in a public school? What you describe is not typical.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,444 posts, read 50,699,085 times
The average starting salary for teachers in CA is $35,760, so that's possible.

Some other states are as low as $25,000. Teaching requires some king of motivation other than money.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,575,484 times
If you're so concerned about your friend, why don't you help her find a better job?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,097,479 times
Just like any profession, the salary and benefits vary. In our school district long term (for a full school year) substitutes get full benefits, as do full time teachers before they are tenured. Day to day substitutes do not get benefits.

Is your friend teaching at a public school in California? Teaching K - 12? What is a full grand teacher? Do you mean main teacher as opposed to a teachers aide?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,754,462 times
most teachers at least on the east coast get health benefits - 26,000. seems low to me for california but what do i know - is she in a public school or private school - private schools typically pay lower - considering someone above said starting salary in ca is 35,000. maybe she is a para-professional which do earn less money and depending on the state many not get benefits - if 26,000. is below the poverty line i guess she would be entitled to public assistance -
tenure in this area takes 10 years and having your masters degree completed - no masters no tenure - i know some states are doing away with tenure but i doubt they will do away with the masters degree -

Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,597,633 times
The "no benefits until tenure" thing is relatively new but spreading. My wife's district does that with retirement and 403(b) right now. Teachers are required to put 14% of their paycheck into their retirement fund; there is no requirement to contribute to the 403(b), but it is the only deferred income option available. If you don't make tenure, neither fund vests and the district gets to keep all of your contributions into the 403(b) and the state keeps all the contributions into the pension. This works because technically the district is placing the money into the 403(b) in exchange for the teacher taking a salary reduction. It is not technically the teacher's income going into the 403(b), so the funds belong to the district.

Of course, 403(b) are lousy lousy investments anyway, so it is no big loss to not use them. The bigger issue is that you lose your mandatory pension contributions if you do not make tenure (which takes 5 years in Missouri).

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM

20,594 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post

Welcome to the stark cold realities of being a teacher. You are now free to move to another career...

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM

6,034 posts, read 7,195,904 times
Please remember that the salary is for 9 months of the year, not the full 12.

35,760 california minimum equates to 47,680 if annualized

Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,798,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Please remember that the salary is for 9 months of the year, not the full 12.

35,760 california minimum equates to 47,680 if annualized
Please remember that average does NOT mean minimum. It means that HALF the starting teachers make LESS than that. More precisely, it would be roughly half, since it's not a median. (Ironically, I know the difference because I had good math teachers back in the day - the type that would, today, no longer be attracted to the field, since they can easily compute what a shaft today's compensation is.)

Also, please remember that multiplying the salary by 4/3 does not magically make that additional money appear in someones' bank account. The idea that there is somehow a large supply of temporary backup jobs at that same salary that teachers can easily get hired at year after year (even though they'll be leaving in 3 months to return to the teaching job) is a complete fiction.

By your logic, you could take pro hockey players' salaries and double them to get their REAL salaries. After all, they only play 6 months of the year.

Not a teacher - no dog in this fight - just calling out this post as inaccurate ax-grinding.

Last edited by Big G; 02-02-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or