Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Are you ever right. I even have to do that in a Gov't job because I make such a low salary. I would give up a foot just to get $50k a year even if i had to work 50 hours a week.

Did you get your degree in an in-demand field? I chose my certifications carefully so that I could diversify and cover two highly specialized areas. If I had to change careers, I could go back to school and prepare for a diversity of the current high-demand fields. I would face age discrimination, but I hope that I could excel to the point where I was the most desirable candidate. Is there any reason why you can't go back to school to make a $50k/year job? You just have to be really good at what people need done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 AM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
Quote:
What doesn't make sense? If you are getting paid $50k yearly all you need do is budget so you can pay your bills when you are on summer break. See whether you work all year or not you still earn $50k yearly. It's about what you do when you are off work it's the fact that you still get a yearly salary for not working the full year.
No.

I do not get paid a yearly salary for only working part of a year.

I get paid a salary for 192 days of contractual work. That contract ends on the 192nd day of work for the school year. The school system isn't paying me a penny for the 8 weeks in between the academic years.

You're entire premise is tragically flawed and it's a blatant indication that you either haven't a clue or have a chip on your shoulder.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's time to put a stop to summer vacation for the teachers and students. It would solve the problem of students not learning enough or proberly and it would solve the issue of the teachers having all that time off. Students never really did need to have all summer off anyway. They just get bored after 2 to 3 weeks so why not keep the Schools open. Yeah, yeah I know the heat in the Schools what's wrong with fans or dare I say it window A/C's.
Are you willing to have your property taxes go up by 20%? Going to year round schooling is going to require a 20% increase in teachers' salaries if you expect them to work an additional 2 months of the year.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is not true in every state. In Colorado, every teacher must have a subject major, and take education programs in addition. I'm not sure how long this has been in effect; at least 10 years now is my educated guess.

Prospective Students | School of Education | University of Colorado at Boulder (Elementary)
Prospective Students | School of Education | University of Colorado at Boulder (Secondary)
Prospective Students | School of Education | University of Colorado at Boulder (Music)
Stop it with all of that logic. It doesn't fit the mob mentality here.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Are you ever right. I even have to do that in a Gov't job because I make such a low salary. I would give up a foot just to get $50k a year even if i had to work 50 hours a week.
So, it's the teachers' fault that they went to school and majored in something that paid well whereas you didn't?

I tell you what, if the grass is so green on this side, get yourself to the local college and get your certification.

You already have a bachelor's degree right? RIGHT?

Once you get your certification, you can start reaping these fat salaries and outstanding perqs.

Come on and get yours while you can.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
So, it's the teachers' fault that they went to school and majored in something that paid well whereas you didn't?

I tell you what, if the grass is so green on this side, get yourself to the local college and get your certification.

Once you get your certification, you can start reaping these fat salaries and outstanding perqs.

ROTFLMAO....

I've posted many times that I make half of what I could in industry as a teacher. This is not a great paying profession. At least not for science majors.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ROTFLMAO....

I've posted many times that I make half of what I could in industry as a teacher. This is not a great paying profession. At least not for science majors.
You'll never hear me complain about what I get paid for my 192 days of work, because it's actually very comfortable and I work a lot in the summer doing other things to cover other things.

Now, if they want to pay us more...I won't complain.

However, I will not abide by this myth that we're paid a full time salary for part time work because it's simply not true.

My salary is based on 10 months worth of work and nothing more.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
You'll never hear me complain about what I get paid for my 192 days of work, because it's actually very comfortable and I work a lot in the summer doing other things to cover other things.

Now, if they want to pay us more...I won't complain.

However, I will not abide by this myth that we're paid a full time salary for part time work because it's simply not true.

My salary is based on 10 months worth of work and nothing more.
I run into trouble finding summer work to help out. Because I teach a lab based class, I'm still in the classroom a week or two after everyone else is out taking care of chemical waste and doing chemical inventories so I can order what I need for the next year. I WISH they'd let me order as I go so that I never over ordered but they won't. I have to place one order at the beginning of the year and if I miss something, we just don't do that lab. Also, when I do find companies willing to hire me, they want me permanently, not for 6 weeks in the summer. I would love to find a standing summer job. So far, no luck. Not even a nibble. Though I did have a head hunter try to get me to interview for a permanent job. If I can't find something for the summer, before dd goes off to college, I will have no choice but to go back into industry. I'm not going to jeopardize my children's college educations to teach someone elses kids. My kids have to come first in my life. If they don't want to pay me enough to take care of that, then someone else will have to teach their kids. Fortunately, for them, and unfortunately for me, there is a glut of science teachers out there. It took me 2.5 years to find this job. There's no incentive to boost my pay so I can stay because there's someone who is unemployed who would take this job at less than they're paying me. So, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to engineering I go.... It was fun though. At least I got to teach for 5 years and I knew this was, financially, risky when I took it. I hoped for the best and got the worst. That's the way life goes sometimes.

We work full time. We just concentrate our hours in 10 months of the year. It's funny, people want to say we should not be paid for days we're off, like hourly workers, yet they we are not paid for every hour worked, like hourly workers. Seems they want it both ways. They want to pay us only for our face time and then call us part time workers because we get a long summer break. They, conveniently, forget all the hours we work on the weekends, on evenings and when we're on vacation. As I said, I'm still in my room 1-2 weeks after school gets out and I'm back in it 1-2 weeks before it starts getting ready. In between, I'm trying to work to make some extra money and get my continuing education done. Where in the world do people get that we are part time workers? Not on your life.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:

It's a no win situation isn't it? If the discussion is about a need for better benefits, pay, or something else tied to working conditions, how often have you heard, "Hey. You knew the situation going in. If you don't like it, get another job". But, if a teacher says part of the reason he has stayed with this career includes the schedule and decent benefits, how many times has he heard, "Good for you. You knew what your benefits and time off would be going in. You have a good job." Most likely you'll hear how you have it too good.

I will readily admit that for the cost of living in the area, my pay is adequate. I have always said that it's not a decent salary for 194 contract days and a lot of hours go into those days. Rarely have I felt the need or desire to complain. The benefits are fair while employed. The pension is good, but the retiree healthcare is costly. The time I have had available to spend with my son has been priceless. The fact that my schedule has matched his has probably been the greatest benefit of my career. Of course, I knew all of this going in. Like Ivory has mentioned, I too would rather see the summer break spread out throughout the year in more of a modified calendar schedule, but I'm not going to feel bad about spending June 21-August 27 at the pool with my family either. That's part of the deal I signed up for.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
This illustrates part of my attitudes towards public schools.....and teachers that are quick to kill kids' creativity.

Ken Robinson - multiple intelligences - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching