Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, perhaps you don't know how CPS works. They have to investigate every complaint, even if repeated complaints from the same people.

ThE "where's there's smoke there's fire doesn'tt always apply. My ds had a habit of making stuff up, incredible stories, and it was believed. And, if you'd read my post, you'd see that I tried to communicate with the school. I made repeated requests for an appointment to discuss what was going on. I was told, oh, you need to wait until the first report card so we have something to talk about. Meanwhile, they were sending home notes every day, phone calls about every day, etc. My mistake was I tried to work with them ..I quickly found out they weren't looking for solutions, they were looking to vent. I had solutions, or at least posible solutions, they simply wouldn't listen.

His behavior fit a basic profile of an abused child, but everyone who fits that profile isn;t an automatic child abuse case.Get your facts straight, which I would have loved to do if just given the chance, but I was shut out of the evaluation process. What are my child's "issues?" I'm certainly not going into detail on a public board. Needless to say, they didn't necessiate CPS workers showing up at school, terrifying my children by asking questions like would you like to live somewhere else? Is your mommy mean? The kids didn't want to go to school after that for fear of being taken away. Also, it was completely inappropriate to have sheriffs and social workers show up at home and our place of employment asking damanging questions.

That old saw "where's there's smoke there's fire" followed us. CPS workers never come back to those they've interviewed and say the case was ruled out, we were found to be fine parents. People were left to draw their own conclusions with incomplete information. Basically the system destroyed our integrity as a family and sowed suspicion and mistrust. Good going----take an intact famly, both parents well-educated and very concerned for their child's educational welfare, and turn them into parents who don't even want to enter the school building. Parents aren't interested? How did it get that way, especially when we know you marvelous teachers have a foregone conclusion we are all a bunch of trash that's abusing our kids, so----THAT"'S why you can't teach!

Oh, and BTW, I certainly do understand how CPS works, having gone through 12-15 investigations. Seems you teachers can't handle critical thinking (but you....teach it). The minute you "suspect" anything wrong, (and lets face it, you "suspect" more with a child who's difficult to manage than a littlle darling who's mother is on the school board). Well, once it becomes a CPS issue, you can't speak with me. BS----you can't speak with me about the CPS issue, that doesn't mean you can't discuss my child's progress, or set up an IEP. The fact that we were under CPS investigation was used to refuse an ARD meeting---we can't speak with you while under CPS investigation. So who's not interested in the child's welfare? That's why we had to spend $$$$$ on attorney fees, us, the bad parents. But don't let the fact that you've just about destroyed a family that was doing just fine before you came along bother you any.

Oh, and both children are now in private school and flourishing. They're not looking for ways to kick the child out, or harass the parents to the point they can't function at their daily lives. There also tends to be a higher level of respect in private schools for the parents---we're professionals, too, not trailer trash that you readily admit you think public school students are!

I will agree with one thing the AP said, why didn't I mention all these "issues" to the school before he started? Frankly, I thought they were over with. Like I mentioned, he was in several school situations prior to public school, had been to individual and group counseling, and seemed ready, I had no idea such issues would resurface in the new environment. Do you suggest I go there and set him up with past, resolved issues? Looking backwards I suppose I should have. But, once labeled as the "horrible, abusive mother" like I said, they wouldn't even talk to me, wouldn't even say hello. Apparently they can't intrepret such basic rules.

So, DT (dear teachers), you might have a small inkling as to why you are hated. Perhaps if tried working with us, instead of automatically assuming we're the root of all evil, you might get somewhere.
So.....are you homeschooling yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

606 posts, read 901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So.....are you homeschooling yet?
She put her kids in private school. Apparently, private school teachers are ok. She reserves her anger and distain for public school educators only.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If you disagree with YOUR local school board, vote them out. What do you care what other cities/counties do with THEIR local school board? Maybe the community wants "the filthy rodents" in office. Maybe what the agenda of the "filthy rodents" is what their community wants?
What do I care? I care because I want to see all children in our society - and any enlightened society for that matter - receive a quality education. That's why.

The community has the right to do many things but the masses do not have the right to muck up a child's intellectual development with religiously-inspired political propaganda. I couldn't give a flying bleep what the community wants -- they don't have the right to use the school system that way. I realize, though, that a lot of people want to protect these traditions under the auspices of cultural traditions like 'state's rights' and 'local control over education'.

There is nothing wrong with local control per se. Indeed, other school systems around the world use a combination of local, state, and federal influences to manage the school systems. But when local control means succumbing to super-charged political activists, no way. There is no way I will ever support that. And if the constitution says otherwise then that old document needs a changing like a filthy diaper.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Talk about attitudes, I was riding with a friend who happened to be a teacher. (Yes, it happens, some parents actually are good enough to associate with teachers). She got pulled over for speeding, she was going about 50 in a 30 MPH zone. She was highly indigant SHE was pulled over, and kept saying to the cop that she was a TEACHER, therefore, she shouldn't be ticketed. She even indicated the school parking sticker, she was a TEACHER! he gave her the ticket, anyways. Apparently, TEACHERS make rules, but they don't follow them
There absolutely are teachers out there like that, unfortunately, and I think you have nailed the psyche almost to a tee: Teachers are used to being in control and some almost see themselves as civic missionaries.

The best teachers see themselves as missionaries and don't see the need in pointing it out to people. As I've said earlier in this thread, we should just shut up and do our damn jobs. There will always be people who don't respect what we do, but they'll respect us more if we back away from the politics a little. I think the raised political profile of teachers and teachers' unions has harmed the profession of teaching.

FWIW, I actually do believe that there should be a teacher's union, but it should be more in the form of a teacher's federation or an association, not a high-profile, speak-into-the-bullhorn union who's led by some executive jackass careerist who just wants to put more 'points' on his 4-page (and growing) resume.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That is not a choice. More often than not, I will be right. As my grandmother used to say, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst". Sadly, it is rare when I have a child who is causing problems and the parent actually sides with me and helps. I love those parents but they're rare.

I'm sorry but my experience is that acorns do not fall far from the tree. Odds have it if I have problems with your child, I'm going to have problems with you. Between the parents who don't parent and the parents who think their child can do no wrong and the parents who think teachers are always at fault, it's best I brace myself when I call you.

However, you'll be glad to know the opposite happens too. When I have great students, I assume they have great parents. And again, I'm, usually, right. Sorry but acorns don't fall far from the tree. There are annomolies but, most of the time, I can guess correctly what I'm in for when I call home just by what I'm calling home about. I find that kids and parents fit into pretty neat pockets (this is actually human nature and how psychics make their living. You really only need to know a few things about a person to be able to predict a lot and you'll, usually, be right.)
Pygmalion effect?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times
Quote:
Talk about attitudes, I was riding with a friend who happened to be a teacher. (Yes, it happens, some parents actually are good enough to associate with teachers). She got pulled over for speeding, she was going about 50 in a 30 MPH zone. She was highly indigant SHE was pulled over, and kept saying to the cop that she was a TEACHER, therefore, she shouldn't be ticketed. She even indicated the school parking sticker, she was a TEACHER! he gave her the ticket, anyways. Apparently, TEACHERS make rules, but they don't follow them

I can tell you stories about law enforcement folks and the things they not only try to get out of , but do..like drag racing on a 3 lane divided highway--DRUNK--in a brand new MUstang and taking out a telephone pole at 100 MPH+ and their brothers in blue taking them home before an investigation can even start..and still collecting the insurance.
Talk about rules and SHATTERING them..remember the rules the teachers have to live with were not made by them...thank your legislators..

Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps you don't know how CPS works. They have to investigate every complaint, even if repeated complaints from the same people.
A basic investigation does not require a LAWYER.

Quote:
ThE "where's there's smoke there's fire doesn'tt always apply. My ds had a habit of making stuff up, incredible stories, and it was believed. And, if you'd read my post, you'd see that I tried to communicate with the school. I made repeated requests for an appointment to discuss what was going on. I was told, oh, you need to wait until the first report card so we have something to talk about. Meanwhile, they were sending home notes every day, phone calls about every day, etc. My mistake was I tried to work with them ..I quickly found out they weren't looking for solutions, they were looking to vent. I had solutions, or at least posible solutions, they simply wouldn't listen.
I wouldn't believe anything you said to me if your tongue cam notarized. I am sure that you do tell the truth on occasion but who would know? You are clearly angry, belligerent, and not particularly rational. Add that to a child with the issues you have described (including making allegations of abuse) who WOULDN'T call CPS on you????

Quote:
His behavior fit a basic profile of an abused child, but everyone who fits that profile isn;t an automatic child abuse case.Get your facts straight, which I would have loved to do if just given the chance, but I was shut out of the evaluation process.
You have stated before that your own child makes allegations against you. Why would we take your word over your child's, especially if there is ANY tiny thing substantiating it?

Quote:
What are my child's "issues?" I'm certainly not going into detail on a public board. Needless to say, they didn't necessiate CPS workers showing up at school, terrifying my children by asking questions like would you like to live somewhere else? Is your mommy mean? The kids didn't want to go to school after that for fear of being taken away. Also, it was completely inappropriate to have sheriffs and social workers show up at home and our place of employment asking damanging questions.

That old saw "where's there's smoke there's fire" followed us. CPS workers never come back to those they've interviewed and say the case was ruled out, we were found to be fine parents. People were left to draw their own conclusions with incomplete information. Basically the system destroyed our integrity as a family and sowed suspicion and mistrust. Good going----take an intact famly, both parents well-educated and very concerned for their child's educational welfare, and turn them into parents who don't even want to enter the school building. Parents aren't interested? How did it get that way, especially when we know you marvelous teachers have a foregone conclusion we are all a bunch of trash that's abusing our kids, so----THAT"'S why you can't teach!

Oh, and BTW, I certainly do understand how CPS works, having gone through 12-15 investigations. Seems you teachers can't handle critical thinking (but you....teach it). The minute you "suspect" anything wrong, (and lets face it, you "suspect" more with a child who's difficult to manage than a littlle darling who's mother is on the school board). Well, once it becomes a CPS issue, you can't speak with me. BS----you can't speak with me about the CPS issue, that doesn't mean you can't discuss my child's progress, or set up an IEP. The fact that we were under CPS investigation was used to refuse an ARD meeting---we can't speak with you while under CPS investigation. So who's not interested in the child's welfare? That's why we had to spend $$$$$ on attorney fees, us, the bad parents. But don't let the fact that you've just about destroyed a family that was doing just fine before you came along bother you any.

Oh, and both children are now in private school and flourishing. They're not looking for ways to kick the child out, or harass the parents to the point they can't function at their daily lives. There also tends to be a higher level of respect in private schools for the parents---we're professionals, too, not trailer trash that you readily admit you think public school students are!

I will agree with one thing the AP said, why didn't I mention all these "issues" to the school before he started? Frankly, I thought they were over with. Like I mentioned, he was in several school situations prior to public school, had been to individual and group counseling, and seemed ready, I had no idea such issues would resurface in the new environment. Do you suggest I go there and set him up with past, resolved issues? Looking backwards I suppose I should have. But, once labeled as the "horrible, abusive mother" like I said, they wouldn't even talk to me, wouldn't even say hello. Apparently they can't intrepret such basic rules.

So, DT (dear teachers), you might have a small inkling as to why you are hated. Perhaps if tried working with us, instead of automatically assuming we're the root of all evil, you might get somewhere.
Quote:
My Ds delights in calling CPS with false claims about both dh and me. ....... There's been about 15 CPS cases against us, all filed by DS or on his behalf due to things he's said.
Remember this post? Where you ADMITTED your own child is the one making the allegations. Why is the teacher even slightly to blame here?

Oh wait. They are not.

And didnt you also say your son is not in a private school but a mental health facility? But in another thread said:

" He's been in 4 mental health hospitals, now currently in a long-term mental health facility under court order. "

Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Pygmalion effect?
No, Pavlovian...

Sorry but acorns really don't fall far from the tree. Kids who have parents who would discipline them if I called, don't give me reason to call. It's the ones who know that their parents will defend them, or blame me or who have just given up on them that give me grief.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A basic investigation does not require a LAWYER.

I wouldn't believe anything you said to me if your tongue cam notarized. I am sure that you do tell the truth on occasion but who would know? You are clearly angry, belligerent, and not particularly rational. Add that to a child with the issues you have described (including making allegations of abuse) who WOULDN'T call CPS on you????

You have stated before that your own child makes allegations against you. Why would we take your word over your child's, especially if there is ANY tiny thing substantiating it?

Remember this post? Where you ADMITTED your own child is the one making the allegations. Why is the teacher even slightly to blame here?

Oh wait. They are not.

And didnt you also say your son is not in a private school but a mental health

facility? But in another thread said:

" He's been in 4 mental health hospitals, now currently in a long-term mental health facility under court order. "

Why don't you check out the dates on them? since you are so concerned with "checking me out" why don't you take a look at the timeline? Oh, of course, don't believe anything I say!

Just so happens there's "more to the story" than i care to post on a public board, but was more than willing to "share" with the school system, if only given a chance!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, Pavlovian...

Sorry but acorns really don't fall far from the tree. Kids who have parents who would discipline them if I called, don't give me reason to call. It's the ones who know that their parents will defend them, or blame me or who have just given up on them that give me grief.
I find the good kids may be chatty but buckle down the first/second time you correct them. It's the constantly disruptive students that could care less what you do or who you call where you already know the outcome before you even act on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching