Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Just read a great open letter to the President from a teacher. They are asking why, ....I think one has to read it to understand...

I am a teacher. You know, one of those about whom you and your Secretary of Education say are so important to our young people. If only I - and thousands, perhaps millions of other teachers - could believe those words.

Continued here--

Dear Mr. President
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:25 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just read a great open letter to the President from a teacher. They are asking why, ....I think one has to read it to understand...

I am a teacher. You know, one of those about whom you and your Secretary of Education say are so important to our young people. If only I - and thousands, perhaps millions of other teachers - could believe those words.

Continued here--

Dear Mr. President

This is what I've been saying for years now:

Quote:
If you are President of all of the American people, why are not all of our children entitled to the quality of education your children are receiving?
teacherken speaks much more eloquently than I in his appeal to our president.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You're hated because you: don't know anything about teaching, have a pension that you don't contribute to, only work 7.5 hours a day, have 4 months a year off, have the audacity to take jobs away from normal people during those 4 months, don't pay for your health care, are turning the kids into robots, can't be fired, belong to a powerful union that makes school board members piddle in their drawers.

Did I miss anything?

I'm being sarcastic folks and just repeating things I've seen on this forum.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Seriously, when schools like New Trier in Wilmette, IL and ETHS in Evanston, IL (where my kids went) don't make AYP and people then use that to say that these are not good schools, I question the sanity of the idea that any of this testing means anything at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're hated because you: don't know anything about teaching, have a pension that you don't contribute to, only work 7.5 hours a day, have 4 months a year off, have the audacity to take jobs away from normal people during those 4 months, don't pay for your health care, are turning the kids into robots, can't be fired, belong to a powerful union that makes school board members piddle in their drawers.

Did I miss anything?
I'd say that's a pretty accurate list of right wing talking points that they've used to stir up public hatred towards educators.

The fact that a lot of them are bogus doesn't shame them at all.

Quote:
I'm being sarcastic folks and just repeating things I've seen on this forum.
The RWNJs who think Limbaugh is a newsman also think those are real.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I'd say that's a pretty accurate list of right wing talking points that they've used to stir up public hatred towards educators.

The fact that a lot of them are bogus doesn't shame them at all.

The RWNJs who think Limbaugh is a newsman also think those are real.

The thing is is that it's not just coming from so-called "right wingers".

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, when schools like New Trier in Wilmette, IL and ETHS in Evanston, IL (where my kids went) don't make AYP and people then use that to say that these are not good schools, I question the sanity of the idea that any of this testing means anything at all.
Absolutely. New Trier has a well-deserved national reputation for excellence.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Continued here--

Dear Mr. President
You are not hated you are blamed.

Blamed for something well beyond your control. You are blamed for being a peepee poor parent when you are not the parent. Of course you are not the parent, you're the teacher, but an increasing number of people seem to want assign teachers with parental responsibilities.

Another way to put it is you are being blamed for the peepee poor level of parenting practiced by an increasing number of "parents" during the most important years which is the first four or five.

Johnny doesn't know colors, can't count to 100, has never seen the inside of a library and whose parents never sat down with him to read a book. To keep Johnny entertained they plopped him down in front of the boob tube tuned to Square Bob Sponge Pants for hours and hours on end.

If Johnny is a little hyperactive and hard to handle let's calm him down by feeding him drugs. Drugs are good for control but when it dumbs him down let's blame the teachers.

And it has nothing to do with left or right wing.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You are not hated you are blamed.

Blamed for something well beyond your control. You are blamed for being a peepee poor parent when you are not the parent. Of course you are not the parent, you're the teacher, but an increasing number of people seem to want assign teachers with parental responsibilities.

Another way to put it is you are being blamed for the peepee poor level of parenting practiced by an increasing number of "parents" during the most important years which is the first four or five.

Johnny doesn't know colors, can't count to 100, has never seen the inside of a library and whose parents never sat down with him to read a book. To keep Johnny entertained they plopped him down in front of the boob tube tuned to Square Bob Sponge Pants for hours and hours on end.

If Johnny is a little hyperactive and hard to handle let's calm him down by feeding him drugs. Drugs are good for control but when it dumbs him down let's blame the teachers.

And it has nothing to do with left or right wing.
I agree. It has to do with parents thinking their child is a special snowflake and NEVER to blame for anything and NOT RESPONSIBLE for their own learning.

How did we get here? When I was a kid, I knew that school was my job. Lord help me if a teahcher called home. I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month. I wouldn't have dreamed of talking back to a teacher or, blatently, not paying attention (texting, twittering, facebooking or playing temple run during class like kids do today). If a teacher caught me, unintentionally, daydreaming, I prayed she didn't call home. It was YES MA'AM the rest of the day in hopes I could get on her good side.

I wasn't the greatest student but I wouldn't have pulled 1/10th of what kids pull today and get away with. As a teacher, all I can do is take a phone away but they get it back at the end of the hour so the punishment is they have to do what they were supposed to in the first place which is not use their phone during the day. No wonder they whip them out. If they get away with it, they get to play. If they don't, they just end up doing what they were supposed to in the first place so there's no real punishment here. Seriously, they need to take the phone or ipod until the following Monday.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Pretty well sums up the frustrations of many teachers.

The Finland example is a perfect case. All the virtues of the Finnish educational system are touted while ignoring the demographic and social welfare programs that make the educational goals and objectives possible. Finland also has a strong vocational component which is intergral to the success of their students. The current administration is unwilling to recognize vocational needs and instead focuses on a singular path to college for all. This is evident in terms of the testing and standards used to measure progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching