Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Sorry, title too long. What do your principals and directors of special education do to support the staff members or to deal with students that excessively hit, kick, bite adults?

I have a question for special education teachers in public elementary schools. What do your administrators do to help you with children who have severe behavior problems (children that hit, bite, slap and kick teachers, aides and therapists)? Students that hit hard enough to leave bruises, or bite and break the skin, or cause injuries that are severe enough that adults need to see a doctor. What do your principals and directors of special education do to support the staff members or to deal with the student. Not what the policy says that they should do or can do but what do they actually do?

One of the reasons that I retired from teaching special education was that I was fed up with being a “human punching bag”. Now one of my good friends is in a similar situation in her classroom for Moderate level Cognitive Disabilities. John Doe is 11 years old and very strong for his age. He is almost 5 feet tall and 80 plus pounds.

His teacher documents his behavior. During a 40 minute period this morning he hit his current aide 22 times. Later, he kicked the teacher in the leg and the hand. In the afternoon JD really lost control and started to throw books, chairs, and anything else he could get his hands on before he could be settled down. Again, the principal said that the school couldn’t do anything except write a note to his mother. It is so frustrating. Just because you are a special education teacher shouldn’t mean that you have to accept being constantly bruised and injured as part of your job.

The other children in the classroom, and in the school, are afraid of him and try to avoid being anywhere near him. He has hit other students but usually an adult is able to step between JD and other students in time.

I’m really not asking for classroom suggestions as many very experienced teachers and therapists have worked together to plan for this child. He has a sensory diet, room layout designed to meet his needs, behavior modification plans, appropriate level academics, and a one to one aide.

However, there is absolutely no follow through at home.
His mother doesn’t believe in saying “No” or even that her “darling, little baby” has any behavior problems. He will frequently hit & kick his mother and run away from her in the school parking lot and she does not correct his behavior. She says that they would never consider in-home autism therapy as “he doesn’t need it” and will not discuss medication or behavior with JD’s doctor again because “he doesn‘t have any problems”.

Although, JD is impulsive he is able to control his actions at times. For example, he usually has acceptable behavior on mornings that his class is going to McDonalds for lunch (a rare community outing). Of course, the flip side of being able to control yourself to have good behavior also means that he can control himself to have bad behavior. Many times, he will laugh after he hits or kicks an adult (possibly because he knows that they can't do anything about it).

Central Office says that any issues such as this need to be handled at the building level. Recently the principal has been observed turning off her walkie-talkie or ignoring call for emergency assistance in that classroom.

I apologize for this lengthy rant but I think that my friend could really use ideas of what is done in other school districts. What do your principals and directors of special education do to support the staff members or to deal with students that excessively hit, kick, bite adults?

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-03-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
At my other school they placed the student in full inclusion. SERIOUSLY. When he acted out, climbed out the window, and across the street, the principal, counselor and another adult approached the student, offered pop tarts and a comfy bean bag to sleep in until he was ready to go back into the classroom.

Have they started to blame you for causing his behavior?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
1. Document the occurances.
2. When you have one month of documentation, convene an IEP meeting, to discuss a behavior plan. This will be the document to use when the child starts to have a negative behavior...and really, you need to look at how to prevent these occurrances from happening, the goal is really prevention...is the child being over stimulated? Too many demands? What is happening, that makes the child react so negatively, and violently?
3. Discuss placement, and current LRE, is the child a danger to other children when he has a behavior crisis?
4. Document injuries, next time you get hurt by this child, file a workers comp claim, see the workers comp doctor. You may not get time off, but you will get treatment, and it starts a documentation chain of occupational hazards as a result of this child and his behavior.
5. Don't expect the Principal to do anything. They don't care about SPED, SPED kids, or SPED teachers. You need to be pro-active in this situation...and it starts with paperwork, and documentation.

I re-read your inital post...and you can't expect any thing from parents...so really, this meeting is an IEP meeting to discuss the current behavior plan, because it is not working. I worked with kids like this before...and...sometimes...just figure out what will cause you the least amount of grief...

I had several "biters"...and I would discontinue working with them, and when I found out their "motivation"...it was "carrot/stick" all day long..."if you bite me, you won't be able to have any free time today to listen to music"...So, the little "darling" would work for ten minutes...and get music for twenty...then the cycle would continue...I would stop the music, he would try to bite me, I would tell him, "no music then for the rest of the day"...and it would just continue...I had this precious...for eight years. His Mom let him listen to music with his earphones, every second of the day, after he left school.

Last edited by jasper12; 05-04-2012 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Document the occurances.
2. When you have one month of documentation, convene an IEP meeting, to discuss a behavior plan. This will be the document to use when the child starts to have a negative behavior...and really, you need to look at how to prevent these occurrances from happening, the goal is really prevention...is the child being over stimulated? Too many demands? What is happening, that makes the child react so negatively, and violently?
3. Discuss placement, and current LRE, is the child a danger to other children when he has a behavior crisis?
4. Document injuries, next time you get hurt by this child, file a workers comp claim, see the workers comp doctor. You may not get time off, but you will get treatment, and it starts a documentation chain of occupational hazards as a result of this child and his behavior.
5. Don't expect the Principal to do anything. They don't care about SPED, SPED kids, or SPED teachers. You need to be pro-active in this situation...and it starts with paperwork, and documentation.

I re-read your inital post...and you can't expect any thing from parents...so really, this meeting is an IEP meeting to discuss the current behavior plan, because it is not working. I worked with kids like this before...and...sometimes...just figure out what will cause you the least amount of grief...

I had several "biters"...and I would discontinue working with them, and when I found out their "motivation"...it was "carrot/stick" all day long..."if you bite me, you won't be able to have any free time today to listen to music"...So, the little "darling" would work for ten minutes...and get music for twenty...then the cycle would continue...I would stop the music, he would try to bite me, I would tell him, "no music then for the rest of the day"...and it would just continue...I had this precious...for eight years. His Mom let him listen to music with his earphones, every second of the day, after he left school.
Oh..and do what jasper12 suggests.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM

[quote=jasper12;24164445]1. Document the occurances.
4. Document injuries, next time you get hurt by this child, file a workers comp claim, see the workers comp doctor. You may not get time off, but you will get treatment, and it starts a documentation chain of occupational hazards as a result of this child and his behavior. What can you do with this?
5. Don't expect the Principal to do anything. They don't care about SPED, SPED kids, or SPED teachers. You need to be pro-active in this situation...and it starts with paperwork, and documentation. What do you do with the seven months of documentation if administration won't support you?

I re-read your inital post...and you can't expect any thing from parents...so really, this meeting is an IEP meeting to discuss the current behavior plan, because it is not working.But, what do you do if every teacher and therapist who works with the child feels that his problems & behavior is too severe for him to be served in a public school setting? I worked with kids like this before...and...sometimes...just figure out what will cause you the least amount of grief...quote]

Thank you, however I’m really not asking for classroom suggestions as many very experienced teachers and therapists have worked together to plan for this child. He has a sensory diet, room layout designed to meet his needs, behavior modification plans, appropriate level academics, and a one to one aide.

The entire classroom routine and schedule revolves around JD to minimize his violent outbursts.
In fact, numerous classrooms are effected when he is totally out of control---teacher of Emotional Disturbed students, Early Childhood teacher or Occupational Therapist and sometimes all three need to leave their classrooms/students to assist in restrainting and calming him and securing the safety of his peers.

His behavior has been throughly documented since he started in October, IEP revised several times, he is almost totally self contained in special education classroom, accident reports filled out and sent to Central Office every time someone is bruised, skin is broken (although, biting is a minor problem) or injury, etc. etc.

What can we do now? Thank you for your suggestions and input.

BTW. In this district they always blame the teacher for any child's behavior problems.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-04-2012 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Well...there are reasons why he acts out...and there are problems when he is at a point of needing restraint. So...you need to have legal at this next IEP meeting to discuss the policy on physical restraints to minimize danger to peers and staff. Have you done that yet?

And miserable as this kid is to work with....FAPE..he is gonna be there to age 22...so figure something out.

But it sounds like placement is the problem. He needs a more restricted environment. With severe behaviors like this...he should not be in a school with reg ed kids. Special school...not just special class....

Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM

For my student it was the fact his mother was in and out of jail, rehab or just checked OUT. The admin just wanted to address his issues as being cause by and in the school. They said if the school could create an environment where the student was safe and accepted, all would be good. \\Still the student went home every afternoon not sure if mom was there, had a boyfriend over, if there was food, or if his younger brother was safe.
He wanted to be at home to protect his brother and save his mother. No amount of safety or acceptance at school was going to change that.
When his mom was home, sober and clean, and he had food, we was a GREAT kid.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM

I'll try posting it again.

The district is very careful about legal issues. Everyone who works with John Doe has up to date training in proper physical restraint procedures through an official program and physical restraint, when needed, is clearly stated in his IEP. I was a substitute aide with him last fall and even though I was “just a sub.“ I needed to update my restraint training.

To give you an idea about his strength. I was sitting next to him while he was calmly doing TEACCH drawers (which he enjoys) when he suddenly turned and slapped me in the chest so hard that he pushed my adult size chair and me, a plus size woman, backwards two feet. The pain was so bad that my eyes watered and it left a handprint bruise on my chest (through my shirt). The principal said to fill out an accident report and to write a note home telling the mother. The principal also said that we couldn’t do anything else because he was a “special education student”.

It costs big bucks for the school district to transfer a student to a special school and to pay his monthly tuition. The last time that they did it was because the special education classroom teacher got so angry about always getting hurt that she went to a judge and got a restraining order against her own student! The district finally took noticed and enrolled him in a special school where he thrived.

That student was in my classroom for several years before that and he was extremely difficulty to work with (I was injured by him on two different occasions enough to miss a week plus of work each time). However, I didn’t think that he was as dangerous to others as JD.

Well...there are reasons why he acts out... My opinion is that JD acts out for multiple reasons, he isn’t used to restrictions, rules and expectations and would rather be home watching TV & eating whatever and whenever he wants to eat. Also, I think he may enjoy hurting other people, as he is usually laughing and smiling when, or just after, he hits or kicks others. JD will suddenly, without warning or provocation, just walk over to a peer or adult with what appears to be the sole intent of hitting or kicking them.

I know that I’m ranting and rambling again but the situation is SO upsetting.

How can you get administration to do something?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Been there. Document how he is a danger to other kids.

I called the police on a "child" who was 5'0"...but full of rage...and had no conscience. He would stab teachers with crayons. Our "classroom" was basically a "soft" room, with no weapons. He went to juvie at age 14...I was glad to see him go. He was a psychopath with an IQ of 60. Anyone who thinks all SPED kids are nice...wrong.

Well...worst case....just let him cruise around the classroom, get him a bean bag chair, an IPod...and don't bother him. I don't make my life difficult...obviously the parents could care less...so...why make your life miserable?
the Admin just wants this problem to go away.....so take the easy way out.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Been there. Document how he is a danger to other kids.

I called the police on a "child" who was 5'0"...but full of rage...and had no conscience. He would stab teachers with crayons. Our "classroom" was basically a "soft" room, with no weapons. He went to juvie at age 14...I was glad to see him go. He was a psychopath with an IQ of 60. Anyone who thinks all SPED kids are nice...wrong.

Well...worst case....just let him cruise around the classroom, get him a bean bag chair, an IPod...and don't bother him. I don't make my life difficult...obviously the parents could care less...so...why make your life miserable?
the Admin just wants this problem to go away.....so take the easy way out.

Thanks for your input.

He does have his own bean bag, does get to swing (sensory diet) whenever he requests it, does very little academics compared to other kids of his level, spends a lot of time on a computer doing games & fun activites, all in all a great school life.

JD's mom couldn't care less but administration can be real jerks if he doesn't make what they feel is satisfactory progress. Without union protection in Wisconsin our district is firing and non-renewing teachers left and right so the classroom teacher is worried about that as well. Otherwise, I think that she would just not "bother him".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching