Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,392,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I asked my son what happens at his school (private college prep) when kids do not finish tests. He says that if a large number of students do not finish then the teacher usually finds a way to give everyone extra time. However, if just one or two kids don't finish then they just don't finish and it is reflected in their grade. If kids have learning disabilities then they may get extra time but those kids are identified in advance.

If 15% of your kids are not finishing then the tests may be to long.

Edited to add: Maybe you can give two part tests so that each portion of the test is easily finished in one class period.
I believe that, at least half, of that 15% take more time because they know they can. If I told them they would not get more time, I believe most would finish. There are only really two who, habitually, cannot finish my tests. There are 3 or 4 who play the game this girl was playing which is to drag their feet so they can get an extra day to study after talking to their friends about what is on the portion of the test they didn't see.

This particular test had two parts. It took me 8 minutes (calculations) to take the first one and 7 to take the second one. It should take my students about 3-4 times as long to do the calculations (32 minutes) and maybe 15 minutes to answer the 30 multiple choice questions which were inspection questions. You either knew the answer or you didn't. There was nothing to figure out, well at least on the original version. The make up did have things they had to figure out. I don't think the test is too long.

This is typical. I try to keep the written portion and MC portions under 10 minutes each for me to do. It's typical for me to have 8-12 students who ask for more time. Most will simply stay and finish. 4, habitually, want to come back the next day. One of the four will, habitually, attempt only one or two problems and then wants to come back. He doesn't get to come back because I require a reasonable attempt. One who always wants more time could do the test in the time it takes me. He's just anal about checking every answer 10 times lest he miss something. Which he did on this test and I'm sure he's beating himself up over his 98%. I use his test to check the answer key to his version. He rarely has anything wrong but if I gave him 3 hours, he'd take 3 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,517,996 times
[quote=captain_hug99;24278003]The question really is WHY is it taking the students so long to complete the test. Is it motivation so that they can learn the test and study before finishing after school, or is the test just too long.

Do you use the rule of thumb of make the test, cut it in half, take the test yourself, double the time it takes you and then see where you are?[/quote]

This is a great idea. Also, the idea of making it a two part test on two different days.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
The question really is WHY is it taking the students so long to complete the test. Is it motivation so that they can learn the test and study before finishing after school, or is the test just too long.

Do you use the rule of thumb of make the test, cut it in half, take the test yourself, double the time it takes you and then see where you are?
What do you mean cut it in half?

I use 3-4 times my time to do problems requiring calculations and double my time for multiple choice inspection questions.

This test had 5 written problems (took me 8 minutes) and 30 multiple choice (took me 7 minutes). The test is pretty much the test I gave last year with the numbers changed so I actually had to take it to make the keys. I did not have as many students not finish last year. That is true of my last three tests. I was suprised when everyone didn't finish this one because they did last year.

There's no cutting this test in half. It had one of each problem type and my students knew they'd be on the test. 85% of my students finished with time to spare. Except for three students, my guess is the ones who don't finish just don't know the material and think that sitting there thinking about it will bring it back to them. Two are just really slow and one just checks his answers a bazillion times. He's my top student so I just let it go. It's not a question of what grade he'll get on my test. It's a question of how high the A will be.

I don't mind if the students are working the entire time but when they refuse to even start part of the test or sit there and stare off into space and then expect more time, I want to tell them which train station to get off at. Unfortunately, if I allow one student more time, I must allow all students more time even if some really need it. I have two who do. They do everything in slow motion but they're good kids who do their own work and manage to scrape by in spite of being very challenged by the material.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,364,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Unfortunately, if I allow one student more time, I must allow all students more time even if some really need it. I have two who do. They do everything in slow motion but they're good kids who do their own work and manage to scrape by in spite of being very challenged by the material.
This is precisely why I would NOT allow more time. Unless the kids are learning disabled, which you said they're not, then they need to learn to get their act together.... better to learn now rather than first year of college.
Also, as long as the rule of "time minutes is up; turn it in" applies to ALL students, then parents don't have a leg to stand on with their complaints.
Are these kids slow with their math, or is it the multiple choice/objective answer part that is slowing them down?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,800,375 times
As a guideline AP exam allows 90 minutes for 75 MC questions. If you use that as a guide then your MC section should take around 25 minutes. That allows 25 minutes for the 5 written questions. Is that enough time?

I don't know think that you can use the AP exam as a guide for your written questions. From what I understand about the AP exam the written questions are more involved than the typical college prep chemistry test.

Honestly, at my kids school the kids just get the questions wrong if they don't finish them. The one time that a significant portion of the class did not finish a test, the teacher retaught the material and gave a different test. Students were free to keep the higher of the two grades. In that case two thirds of the students did not finish. If you have only a few kids not finishing then they just aren't finishing. If you have a significant portion not finishing then the tests are probably to long. It's hard to know from your posts which it is.

If parents complain then let them complain.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,713,712 times
I have always, always been a slow test-taker, regardless of my comprehension of the content being assessed. In the past, I haven't been allowed additional time and done horrible just because I panic, feel rushed, and are more worried about others leaving the room or chatting once their done, etc.

That being said, I would let the girl finish what hasn't been completed on Monday and then make it be known that from now on, students will have to complete their tests on the same day that the tests are given... otherwise questions will be marked wrong that aren't completed. If you have a legit reason to miss the class then you can take the test the next day you return but will be given a different version.

If they know they'll need more time (like I would) then it is their responsibility to either visit you before their official class to get a head start or plan on staying after class/school. Try to divide your test up into separate parts and when a student completes one part then they can move to the next, but once they start a section they have to complete it before they leave your room. For example, if your test had two sections and 7th period Sally visited your classroom during homeroom then she would be required to complete the first section before leaving your room. When she finished section 1 then she can leave, and then finish section 2 during her regular 7th period class.

I know this may seem like a lot of work and may inconvenience you if students want to visit your classroom prior to school starting which is crucial plan-time, but as a slow test-taker, I really REALLY appreciated those teachers that were accommodating

Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,244,444 times
I allow a specific amount of time. Students must complete in this amount of time or be penalized. I agree students will share test questions/answers with their peers. I have multiple tests covering the same information. I will often give each class a different test every period. It is almost comical to see the look on their faces when they realize the answers told to them by their friends can't possibly work for the questions they have. Usually, I only have to do this a couple of times a year to prevent the sharing of answers.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
I often had problems finishing tests on time when in high school. In college it only happened once -- at a very bad time (very last final exam before graduation which ended my 4.0 gpa -- and it was because the examiner had to cut the class time by 30 minutes for an appointment!), but any questions I didn't get answered were always counted as wrong.

Speaking only as a former student, I think if 15 percent don't get the test finished in the allotted time, you should shorten the test a little. A test doesn't have to cover everything you taught in class.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I allow a specific amount of time. Students must complete in this amount of time or be penalized. I agree students will share test questions/answers with their peers. I have multiple tests covering the same information. I will often give each class a different test every period. It is almost comical to see the look on their faces when they realize the answers told to them by their friends can't possibly work for the questions they have. Usually, I only have to do this a couple of times a year to prevent the sharing of answers.
I switched out tests each hour the last test I gave and saw a 5 point drop in my later hours scores. Go figure.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,268,441 times
I've taught 7th and 8th grade social studies for 6 years. I've never let a student come back to my classroom to finish a test. My students know that once they've seen the test they must finish it in that sitting. Period. End of story. In my opinion if you let a student leave your class and then return, even an hour later, the integrity of the their test has been compromised. I've seldom had a situation where anything more than 2-3 kids didn't finish. And in most cases the majority of the class finished with plenty of time to spare. For the 2-3 that didn't finish I gave them an extra 5 minutes or so to finish up, then collected it and sent them to their next class with a pass. Social studies is a little different though in that there is usually no calculating. So if you studied, you would easily finish in time. With a math or science class I can see there being more factors that could cause kids to not finish. But my stance would not change. I would shorten the test before I would ever allow a kid to return to finish a test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching