U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
74,469 posts, read 34,736,866 times
Reputation: 17850
I think it's more due to student behavior. When I went to school the class sizes were 30+ and I don't recall hardly any behavior problems.

You could have a class size of 15 and have it be a nightmare class based on the students alone.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Status: "Desperately searching for the grading fairy...." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Whoville....
21,943 posts, read 16,312,373 times
Reputation: 11516
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think it's more due to student behavior. When I went to school the class sizes were 30+ and I don't recall hardly any behavior problems.

You could have a class size of 15 and have it be a nightmare class based on the students alone.
I agree with you there. When I was a kid, if I acted like the kids do in my classes, my parents would have backhanded me into tomorrow AFTER the principal used his holey paddle on my behind.

Other countries can get away with large class sizes because education is a privlidige not a right and kids know they can and will be kicked out of class/school if they do not toe the line. Here we defend the child no matter what. We really need to stop doing that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 PM
 
65 posts, read 74,452 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Class sizes have gotten insane. In the charter school I taught at I'd start the year with 35 students in a class and I taught chemistry and physics!!!! Research shows that chemistry and physics classes should not be larger than 24. It is, simply, not safe to conduct labs with larger classes.
Absolutely. We had to dissect frogs without lab labs, on rickety old desks, with 34 students. We go over lab training and safety as a department every year, which talks about the research you mentioned. And then we are sent off to our rooms, filled wall to wall with students and are expected to hand them acid and scalpels! It's unreal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Status: "Desperately searching for the grading fairy...." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Whoville....
21,943 posts, read 16,312,373 times
Reputation: 11516
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrenter10 View Post
Absolutely. We had to dissect frogs without lab labs, on rickety old desks, with 34 students. We go over lab training and safety as a department every year, which talks about the research you mentioned. And then we are sent off to our rooms, filled wall to wall with students and are expected to hand them acid and scalpels! It's unreal.
The worst part is something most teachers don't know. If a student is hurt, the teacher is personally liable. The student's parents can sue the teacher in addition to the school. The school actually has a defense. They can say that the teacher was not supposed to conduct labs that are unsafe. The teacher has no defense as they chose to conduct the lab in spite of the conditions.

No job is worth me losing my retirement and my kids losing their college savings and home. When I learned this I informed the charter school I would no longer do labs under those conditions so they fired me and hired someone else who didn't realize that they were putting their future on the line by doing labs under those conditions. The very same research that is discussed each year would be used to hang, not the school, but the teacher, out to dry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM
 
Location: interior Alaska
1,266 posts, read 924,288 times
Reputation: 2309
This is the reality of working k-12. They can put you anywhere you are certified/"highly qualified" to teach. The bottom line is that if you don't want to teach a particular subject, you shouldn't get certified in it, because it's possible a school will park you there even if it's not a good fit. I have seen several teachers get multiple certifications in order to make themselves more employable, and then get upset when the district utilizes the "wrong" certification...well, what were they expecting, really?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
 
18,868 posts, read 15,090,202 times
Reputation: 24849
Or the flip side happens...I have multiple certifications in SPED. I have done it for over 20 years. I finished my School Counseling degree, and unpaid interndhip I did for free, for an entire summer. I was ready to be a counselor. I have the experience, and credentials. And I was just done with SPED. And...my supervisor would not release me to get other jobs in the district. He could keep me in my position for three more years. I had no choice. Yes I did, I was SO pissed I quit. Screw that. He could not believe I up and quit. I did, and found a better job, with more pay, more freedom, travel, and upward mobility opportunities. I should thank him for being such an a hole. I would have never left my job, I loved it. But...- was not going to be told what I could and could not do....no reason not to let me be a school counselor, except that I made his job easy, I basically ran three departments, without admin pay, and there were no problems with parents or IEP compliance and documentation. I made his job too easy.

If you don't like how you are treated by a school district, don't be afraid to leave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 AM
 
8,241 posts, read 10,311,184 times
Reputation: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Or the flip side happens...I have multiple certifications in SPED. I have done it for over 20 years. I finished my School Counseling degree, and unpaid interndhip I did for free, for an entire summer. I was ready to be a counselor. I have the experience, and credentials. And I was just done with SPED. And...my supervisor would not release me to get other jobs in the district. He could keep me in my position for three more years. I had no choice. Yes I did, I was SO pissed I quit. Screw that. He could not believe I up and quit. I did, and found a better job, with more pay, more freedom, travel, and upward mobility opportunities. I should thank him for being such an a hole. I would have never left my job, I loved it. But...- was not going to be told what I could and could not do....no reason not to let me be a school counselor, except that I made his job easy, I basically ran three departments, without admin pay, and there were no problems with parents or IEP compliance and documentation. I made his job too easy.

If you don't like how you are treated by a school district, don't be afraid to leave.
Congratulations! Great advice. Good people with good skills will always find a place to be successful.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Status: "Desperately searching for the grading fairy...." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Whoville....
21,943 posts, read 16,312,373 times
Reputation: 11516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This is the reality of working k-12. They can put you anywhere you are certified/"highly qualified" to teach. The bottom line is that if you don't want to teach a particular subject, you shouldn't get certified in it, because it's possible a school will park you there even if it's not a good fit. I have seen several teachers get multiple certifications in order to make themselves more employable, and then get upset when the district utilizes the "wrong" certification...well, what were they expecting, really?
I'm not upset because they used the wrong cert. I'm upset because they used MY cert to hire someone else who didn't have the certs for the position. I was shoved aside to make room for him. If they had a need for me to teach math, so beit. they didn't have a need until they decided to hire someone who didn't have half of the requirements for the position. The only way this makes sense is if he's THAT MUCH better than me at teaching chemistry, in which case, I've just been kicked to the curb for him and I don't like that. If I'm not the best candidate for the job, I don't need the job.

Wish me luck. I just found out that one of the engineers I worked under when I first started in engineering is now a plant manager at a plant about an hour and a half from where I live and he's hiring engineers. An hour and a half is a long commute but if the money is right, it could be doable. I'm just worried that the money won't be right given I've been out of engineering for 5 years. All I can do is ask for what I need. Worst case is they say no.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-14-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top