U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:41 PM

22,296 posts, read 17,040,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
IT, I am really surprised that with the advances intellect you have, you are also so hung up on what other people think of you. I didn't take many STEM classes in college, more so out of lack of motivation than ability. I know I have the intellect to handle a STEM degree. I also know that my IQ is in the top 5% of the population so most people that evaluate me are not as intelligent as me. So while I do consider what they say, because self-evaluation is imperative to reaching your potential, I also don't allow their opinion of me to demoralize me. I don't need their appreciation of me to dictate my happiness. I'm surprised your ego is as fragile as it seems to be.
I'm not. It's not about what someone thinks of me. If they were still allowing me to actually do the job I was hired to do, I wouldn't care what they think. It's about whether or not I'm being used where I can do the most good. If the only thing I'm good for is making room for a better teacher, I should make room for two better teachers by leaving altogether. This is about me being used to grease the door so someone better can slide in instead of being used where I can make the most difference. I didn't go into teaching to make it possible for someone else to teach. I went into teaching to raise the bar but bringing subject matter expertise to the classroom. If I'm not doing that, I don't belong here. That is, after all, why they CLAIM they hired me. Apparently, that was a lie.

This has nothing to do with what they think of me. It has to do with not using the skills I was hired for with no good reason. It's not like they decided to have me teach math because they felt I was the best person to teach math. They did it because they needed me to give up chemistry to the teacher they just hired.

I guess realizing that I don't really have the skills they want is hitting me hard. I thought I did. I've been paid some really high compliments for my ability to bring the real world into the classroom. They just took that away because the only thing I'm really good for is greasing the door so someone else can slide in. I'd rather be placed so that I'm in position to do the best job I can do than be used to place someone else where they can do the best job. I have too much going for me to be used THAT way. Somewhere out there, there just might be a school that thinks I'm the best person for the job instead of just someone to be used to make way for someone else.

It's not about what they think. It's about what they did. If they were still letting me do the job I was hired for....If I were still placed where I was most effective (instead of where it's convenient)...I wouldn't care what they think. Thoughts don't hurt. Pushing me out of the way does. I'm just trying to figure out why they didn't fire me outright. Then again, they have until June 16th to tell me I'm not coming back next year so maybe they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 940,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not. It's not about what someone thinks of me. If they were still allowing me to actually do the job I was hired to do, I wouldn't care what they think. It's about whether or not I'm being used where I can do the most good. If the only thing I'm good for is making room for a better teacher, I should make room for two better teachers by leaving altogether. This is about me being used to grease the door so someone better can slide in instead of being used where I can make the most difference. I didn't go into teaching to make it possible for someone else to teach. I went into teaching to raise the bar but bringing subject matter expertise to the classroom. If I'm not doing that, I don't belong here. That is, after all, why they CLAIM they hired me. Apparently, that was a lie.

This has nothing to do with what they think of me. It has to do with not using the skills I was hired for with no good reason. It's not like they decided to have me teach math because they felt I was the best person to teach math. They did it because they needed me to give up chemistry to the teacher they just hired.

I guess realizing that I don't really have the skills they want is hitting me hard. I thought I did. I've been paid some really high compliments for my ability to bring the real world into the classroom. They just took that away because the only thing I'm really good for is greasing the door so someone else can slide in. I'd rather be placed so that I'm in position to do the best job I can do than be used to place someone else where they can do the best job. I have too much going for me to be used THAT way. Somewhere out there, there just might be a school that thinks I'm the best person for the job instead of just someone to be used to make way for someone else.
You can also choose to look at it from a different perspective. Being an excellent teacher involves many different aspects. It involves content knowledge to be sure. It also involves ability to convey that content knowledge effectively to the students. It also involves ability to communicate effectively to the clients of your business, which happen to be the parents. It also involves ability to get a long with your peers and with administration. It also involves ability to connect with students so that they enjoy their school experience. There are many more areas, but I'll leave it at that. You seem to have the first two down. You probably need to work on the others. There is no shame in that. Rather than focusing on the content knowledge and ability to teach it, and reduce all the other areas to fluff, recognize that they are are your areas of weakness and work on them.

I do think that you are probably not valued to your satisfaction at your job. But I think you need to realize that you are being evaluated as an educator, not a scientist. And you are being evaluated by educators not scientists. So your insistence on feeling that "they are more interested in giving good grades than having content experts", is probably not making your relationship with your administration all that positive. Well that will be one of their evaluation points. My point is that in other posts it seems like you are always butting heads with your administration over a difference in philosophy. So it should not surprise you that they don't value you as high as they should. They may look at you as not being a team player, and being a high maintenance employee. That is also an aspect of being a good teacher. . . collaboration with your peers.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is what it is. You just do what you are told. Don't take it personally. I had multiple certs in SPED, but wanted to do counseling, I got my Masters in Counseling, and was ready to be a school counselor. I never was hired to do counseling, because they could not find anyone, or want anyone to do my job. The school hired a kid out of college for the school counselor job. I was so annoyed, it propelled me to leave the district. And worked in my favor anyway.

Maybe this is a sign to look around. You might find something better.
I agree. I just wish they'd been honest with me. If they weren't happy with me as a chem teacher, they should have said so. I turned down a job interview in March because the job started before the end of the year. I'm so ticked off at myself over that one right now. If I'd known they were looking to replace me, I could have taken that job.

I'm mad at myself right now for not measuring up and for passing on that interview. I keep hearing the voice of my first mentor right now. He told me "NEVER pass up an interview. You never know where they might lead." I feel like an idiot on all counts right now.

Hopefully something better is waiting. I have to have something someone wants. I have a few resumes out for engineering jobs. I guess I need to step it up. I was kind of testing the waters but thinking I wouldn't leave teaching for, at least, another year but now I'm thinking I need to make the move sooner.

Here's to hoping something better is waiting for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You can also choose to look at it from a different perspective. Being an excellent teacher involves many different aspects. It involves content knowledge to be sure. It also involves ability to convey that content knowledge effectively to the students. It also involves ability to communicate effectively to the clients of your business, which happen to be the parents. It also involves ability to get a long with your peers and with administration. It also involves ability to connect with students so that they enjoy their school experience. There are many more areas, but I'll leave it at that. You seem to have the first two down. You probably need to work on the others. There is no shame in that. Rather than focusing on the content knowledge and ability to teach it, and reduce all the other areas to fluff, recognize that they are are your areas of weakness and work on them.

I do think that you are probably not valued to your satisfaction at your job. But I think you need to realize that you are being evaluated as an educator, not a scientist. And you are being evaluated by educators not scientists. So your insistence on feeling that "they are more interested in giving good grades than having content experts", is probably not making your relationship with your administration all that positive. Well that will be one of their evaluation points. My point is that in other posts it seems like you are always butting heads with your administration over a difference in philosophy. So it should not surprise you that they don't value you as high as they should. They may look at you as not being a team player, and being a high maintenance employee. That is also an aspect of being a good teacher. . . collaboration with your peers.
The problem is I was hired for my my content area expertise. Suddenly, they get the chance to hire someone they like better, and none of that matters. I think I have different value teaching different subjects. For example, I'm considered highly qualified to teach astronomy but I wouldn't want to take me for astronomy. I'm not any good at it.

If my only value to the team is making it possible for someone else to play, I have no real value because anyone with mulitple certs will work for that. They don't need me. They've chosen to use me in a position that someone with the lowest certs in science and math could do. I just need to accept that they're asking me to leave and do so before I get fired....which I hope isn't next month. I really don't want to end up on unemployment again...

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-23-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

18,868 posts, read 16,002,659 times
You are not getting fired. You are just put in a place where they want you. You are like a cog in a machine. Don't take this as a personal issue. It is not.

Just like me, not getting the school counseling job...it was not personal....it was just easier to keep me in SPED for another three years. I was more valuable in SPED. Same as you are more valuable in Math.

Now, if they really wanted to get rid of you, or make your life miserable...they could easily do it....by not assigning you a classroom, and make you a "rover", or all the other tricks they have.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You are not getting fired. You are just put in a place where they want you. You are like a cog in a machine. Don't take this as a personal issue. It is not.

Just like me, not getting the school counseling job...it was not personal....it was just easier to keep me in SPED for another three years. I was more valuable in SPED. Same as you are more valuable in Math.

Now, if they really wanted to get rid of you, or make your life miserable...they could easily do it....by not assigning you a classroom, and make you a "rover", or all the other tricks they have.
Obviously, I forgot to mention that I'm giving up my classroom to the new teacher. I will be moving from room to room....

.....nuff said...

Given I've never taught math before, it's a stretch to say that I'm more valuable as a math teacher....unless I suck so bad as a chemistry teacher anything would be better....

Now I'm really depressed about this. Obviously, I should have stayed in engineering. Let's hope that is a correctable mistake.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Oops. Yep. You are in the doghouse. Who did you annoy? Really...success in teaching is very political. You just say yes to the "principal", and do what you are told. You don't act too smart or say anything at any meeting. You buy gifts and chip in money for baby showers..

Hmm....can you transfer to another school? Probably too late...

Last edited by jasper12; 05-23-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 PM

5,849 posts, read 3,886,527 times
Quote:

Like it or not we are just cogs in a machine.

Here is my story.

I started teaching early childhood special education so many years ago that Wisconsin didn't even have a teaching certificate in that area when I started teaching in that speciality out of state. After teaching a few years I returned to Wisconsin to get my masters degree in early childhood special education (by then Wisconsin had a teaching certification).

At that time there were very, very few public school districts who even served 3 to 5 year old handicapped children so I accepted a job teaching cognitive disabilities.

I was overjoyed when eight years later our district was going to open a EC EEN classroom. I thought that I would be a logical choice. I had a Masters degree in the area, several years of teaching experience in birth to five special ed. and I currently taught in the district. Boy, was I wrong! The first teacher hired, a cute, blond, single "girl" straight out of college. Then another opening, again they hired a cute, blond, single "girl" straight out of college. I was a married woman, somewhat older than 22.

When I discussed this with the hiring administrator (a real horn-dog) he said "I just can't picture you teaching early childhood". Hmm.

More vacancies came and went over the years and I applied for a transfer every time. Every new EC teacher hired was cute, single and right out of college. Rumor has it that the horn-dog administrator dated or attempted to date every one of the new EC teachers.

A few years after I turned 40 there was another EC vacancy. I casually let it slip to a friend or two (including the head of the union) that I had contacted an attorney to discuss an age discrimination suit.

What a surprise I was tranferred to EC and stayed there until I retired 15 years later.

Like it or not we are just cogs in a machine.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM

3,830 posts, read 5,725,351 times
You were happy to get dual certs because it gave you a leg up when interviewing for a job. Now that they need to tap that second area of certified expertise, you want to take your Bunsen burner and go home. If you're so committed to chemistry, give up the math cert.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Really interesting Germaine, I can easily see that happening. There was a teacher at our school, she easily weighed 350 or 400 pounds. She was made a "rover". Pretty delibrate. She was going all over the school. It was delibrate to get rid of her. I know another teacher, her classes were "stacked" with all the worst behavior kids in the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching