Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 17,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But don't you think that there are local people that ARE applying and really need those jobs? I very much understand how anxious new grads are about wanting a teaching position, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to tell someone from out of state about a local position, if the competition is already there and applying.

I think it's so hard to generalize on these boards about STATES needing teachers. States don't need teachers, individual schools need teachers. And generally they want teachers that are certified for their state.
I was under the impression that you can apply for a different states licence? Was that wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middles View Post
Is subbing a foot in the door? I have heard good and bad things about subbing at schools what is your take on it?
It really depends on the school system. Some schools count subbing towards seniority, and it's a great way to get to know other faculty members; however if you're placed with a rowdy class and don't know how to keep in under control, it can make you look bad. Unfortunately, from what I've witnessed, schools have hired newbies right out of college vs. people who have subbed or done maternity leaves. I honestly just don't get the hiring technique sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by middles View Post
I was under the impression that you can apply for a different states licence? Was that wrong?
Depending on the license you got and the state you got it in, it can be fairly easy to get certified in other states (especially if your college followed the NCATE). From what I've researched, you have to submit an official request which includes your license, classes you took, etc.
Although I have seen districts showing interest in teachers from other states, it can be tough for someone out-of-state to get a job when there's plenty of teachers from that state/city/town already wanting the same job.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
It really depends on the school system. Some schools count subbing towards seniority, and it's a great way to get to know other faculty members; however if you're placed with a rowdy class and don't know how to keep in under control, it can make you look bad. Unfortunately, from what I've witnessed, schools have hired newbies right out of college vs. people who have subbed or done maternity leaves. I honestly just don't get the hiring technique sometimes

Depending on the license you got and the state you got it in, it can be fairly easy to get certified in other states (especially if your college followed the NCATE). From what I've researched, you have to submit an official request which includes your license, classes you took, etc.
Although I have seen districts showing interest in teachers from other states, it can be tough for someone out-of-state to get a job when there's plenty of teachers from that state/city/town already wanting the same job.
In my school district, subbing, especially long term subbing or working as an (underpaid) teachers aid is the best way to get a job. We have a strong teachers union here in PA and school administrators think hard before they hire an unknown person. They hire very, very few people and if they hire someone that hasn't worked here before, it's going to be someone with a pretty unique background or skill.

I know that some states don't have a lot of colleges, but if you look at a map of US colleges, you can appreciate more why there is a glut of teachers in the eastern half of the country. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Map+o...=en&authuser=0 There are a dozen four year colleges within 40 minutes of my house and every one of them offers an education major.

With NCLB, teachers MUST be certified to teach. If a Principal has 100 teachers that are certified applying for a job, it's understandable that he wouldn't really consider someone that wasn't certified. In PA, if a teacher is not properly credentialed, a letter has to be sent home to each parent telling them that. You can imagine how well that would go over.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching