Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM

13 posts, read 28,711 times

Advertisements

they closed the other thread before my questions where answerd, where is all the supplies going at the end of the year that are in all the rooms and in the supply closets, see school supplies theared for other posts

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
I have read all of zippo2u post in the other thread and NO one has answered his questions, so what's up with this

Old 09-25-2007, 04:22 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,481,687 times
Well, actually, you are right. No one out right said where they went.

**Perhaps they are being used for the next year, and were stocked up.

**Perhaps you do know of some cruddy teachers that like to take the supplies home at the end of the year

**Perhaps teachers left and brought them with them for their next years classroom

**Perhaps the teacher gave them back to the children, or donated them

**Perhaps you are full of soup and are starting trouble

It could be one or all

Old 09-25-2007, 05:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,189,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo2u View Post
they closed the other thread before my questions where answerd, where is all the supplies going at the end of the year that are in all the rooms and in the supply closets, see school supplies theared for other posts
Our schools send the supplies we bought home with the kids. The ones purchased by the school stay at school.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM

508 posts, read 1,671,477 times
Personally -

I taught in one school, where, at the end of the year teachers emptied their rooms of all supplies, personal items and any other items they wished to use the following school year. This was an unwriten requirement because anything left in the classrooms would be taken by maintenance. I learned this the hard way my first year; I left a radio, fan, and small microwave in my room over summer. When I came back, all three things were gone. I found the microwave in the maintenance breakroom and was told that my radio and fan had been taken home by a maintenance worker. I got my stuff back with the help of school administration. However, many teachers would lose supplies that simply disappeared over the summer. This has happened in more than one school that I have been at. So to answer your question zippo2u, I take my stuff home and bring it back because I am sick of being victimized by a small percentage of thieving maintenance workers.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,319,509 times
In our school they are donated to a local charity.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 AM

13 posts, read 28,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe29 View Post
I have read all of zippo2u post in the other thread and NO one has answered his questions, so what's up with this
finally what i wanted to happen a parent to take a look and ask a question thats all i wanted when i started this for parents to get involved and look at the fact that not only was their tax money but their earned money as well was going into the bank accounts of these teachers. i have been told i was full of it. i have been called a trouble maker and in a round about way a theif. but why is it wrong to ask a question from you teachers. if you have nothing to hide then why not answer the question? if they are donated to charity then who gave you permission to do so? the parents who bought them? are the parents even told what charity they are donating to? are the parents allowed to write them off on their taxes? or is it the teachers who get the write off? if you want to teach the children how to share then why are the supplies taken from them and put into these rooms to start with? if you want to teach them to share then let them keep them and if they want to share with a friend then thats up to them not you. its our place as parents to teach our children morals. you are there to teach reading, writing, and math. and speaking of sharing with 50k a year it seems to me you can afford to give one or two of these poorer students in your class a tissue or two. so who taught teachers how to share? and as for the other stuff white boards dry erase markers etc... if the teachers are the ones who make the lesson plans that these things are needed for than it seems fare to me that if you want them you buy them and if you cant afford them then you dont get them

Old 09-30-2007, 01:07 PM

825 posts, read 2,814,029 times
Interesting question. Assuming a teacher doesn't quit or transfer, they should just keep their supplies. I know I do. They get used eventually, believe me. It wouldn't make any sense for my administrator to totally restock my supplies each school year. In fact, it would be impossible. Supplies accumulate over time and they make it possible for me to do my job more effectively when I can count on being able to get my hands on something. I also share most anything with colleagues if needed.

I had to put everything away over the summer so the custodians could clean everything. I'm fortunate to be in a building where I trust the custodians and the administrators.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 AM

604 posts, read 4,616,183 times
It's really sad to hear these negative comments about teachers taking all the supplies home. Do you really think these teachers want 20 pairs of miniature scissors?

Most of the supplies you send in with your child at the beginning of the school year go into a "kitty" and used by the entire class. You would be surprised how many of your children's classmates do not come with any supplies at all.

This story says average teacher spends $475 of the own money each year on supplies
http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2...3D6&frame=true

How many office workers do you know who spend $500 a year to buy there own supplies? As I remember a lot used to find it's way home with me!

Keep up the good work teachers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.