Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Convenient viewpoint. It's nice to think that complex problems are so simple.
That poster is just stating the obvious. Odds of me ever had worked for any union shop = 0%.
But then again, I would never would have become a teacher, as I could (and did) earn 10 times that in high-tech. (though I loved teaching my engineers the technology). Often (though not always), pay is related to what is considered 'value added'. Fortunately, I never had to work with anyone in a union. No flames please, and back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Perhaps your students have too much power because you give it to them. A few ruin a class only if you let them. What you focus on grows....focus on your great students. I bet they will be delighted and perhaps have been waiting for it.
I don't give it to them. Administrators who roll every time a parent complains do.

And then there's the really scary stuff. It would take only one student lying about me to finish my career and they know it. I know two teachers who had students lie about sexual advances. In both cases the student's recanted but it doesn't matter. Neither one of them will ever be able to get a job as a teacher again.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Honestly, I think that education began to fail when the DOE was established.

When you have millions of dollars going into a bureaucracy and administration that has little to no "boots-on-the-ground" experience, that believes in a hierarchy rather than an applicable philosophy, and that believes in a "one-size-fits-all" education, you end up with classrooms that become battlegrounds, schools that become teen social organizations, and a general philosophy that turns schools into dumping grounds for parents to throw their children so that they they don't have to deal with them. The DOE arbitrarily sets standards across the board, and 'teaches' teachers that their purpose is to socialize, not teach - then insists that the teachers are failures because they cannot both socialize the children and teach them the basics. It's why some teachers "get caught" teaching students only to barely pass standardized tests rather than teaching them to learn.
Background & Analysis

The Feds contribute about 10% of the direct education budget - with a huge chunk of that going to the Special Education mandate, though less than there should be.

The Education Department was created at a federal level in 1980. The "one-size-fits-all" education is not primarily a function of Washington - and even when the federal government got involved in national standards, to a limited degree, it was NCLB in 2001, nothing before that. Homogeneous curriculum is not a modern product, either - statewide standards have existed for more decades than federal standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
(If the Teachers' Unions) demanded that their members be accorded parental and student respect, there would be a massive state- and nationwide movement to eradicate the unions, because they dared to insist that students and parents bear equal responsibility in education.
Demand?

There is no enforcement possible, making it wasted breath for the unions to demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching