U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Best State for Teachers?
Tennessee 2 16.67%
North Carolina 2 16.67%
South Carolina 1 8.33%
Georgia 6 50.00%
Florida 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM

23 posts, read 34,293 times

Advertisements

This is a thread to vote on and discuss the best state for Teachers in the "Southeast". I only included the states above due to those being the only states of importance to my fiance' and I.

I am basing the Poll as well as the general discussion on 3 factors(in no particular order):

1. Teachers pay overall. (What State would a Teacher have the best chance at making the most money.....and yes I know it isn't about the money but who wants to work for pennies when they could work for dollars a mile up the road)

2. Overall cost of living/tax burdens/housing/rent/etc. (What State could a Teacher survive in on their salary...get a decent house, be able to enjoy the night life, etc.)

3. Administrators/Retirement (What State WANTS Teachers and WANTS them to have a good pension and an enjoyable retirement and shouldn't have to lay very many Teachers off)

If you have any previous experience with a State or know someone that does please share it. And I know school districts are different so if one school district stands out over the others, perfect...share it.

I kind-of want to keep this on a larger-city base. So if we focus more on "best city" instead of "best state" let's either focus on relatively big cities(think: Greenville, SC and larger) or decent size suburbs outside a big city(think: Maryville, TN)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM
LLN
Status: "If you keep looking back, you can't move forward" (set 28 days ago)

3,606 posts, read 4,456,756 times
NC has got to be the worst.

No raise for 4 years, then a 1.5%, but with all step increases frozen.

The republicans in house HATE the NCEA (not a real union, just lobbyist) so they make teachers the pawns

Most legislators are not educated to begin with, and have no clue as to what 21st century education means...or requires.

Education used to be the pride of NC, now it is the joke.

I feel NC used to be the leader, and I had great pride in that, now we are in intellectual free fall. I am so glad my kids are in college and out of the k-12 quagmire.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,205,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
NC has got to be the worst.

No raise for 4 years, then a 1.5%, but with all step increases frozen.

The republicans in house HATE the NCEA (not a real union, just lobbyist) so they make teachers the pawns

Most legislators are not educated to begin with, and have no clue as to what 21st century education means...or requires.

Education used to be the pride of NC, now it is the joke.

I feel NC used to be the leader, and I had great pride in that, now we are in intellectual free fall. I am so glad my kids are in college and out of the k-12 quagmire.
I agree completely! I am trying to find a teaching job OUT of NC!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
None of the above? Have you been keeping up with Florida? They are stripping teachers to the bare minimum. NC as others have said is also very punitive. I am currently in Michigan hoping to find a full time position before August 15--then I will have to go back to NC for another year...
And do you really want to talk about SC? If you are absolutely desperate and HAVE to find a job, I would try NC then SC (Greenville area)
I know quite a few teachers in Johnston / Harnett county that have bailed from Georgia and ran to NC...
Not sure what the pay is in Tennessee, but Memphis and Nashville seem to be hiring anyone with a license.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
None of the above?
I agree with this as well!

Personally, I'd be heading out to Colorado. The market is fairly easy according to some people I know there. (As in they have 5 applicants, and it is a matter of picking the best of the worst). I've also heard that Nebraska and Kansas have many open positions as well.

I know you want the South/Southeast area, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have never made the move.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 PM

7,698 posts, read 10,494,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I agree with this as well!

Personally, I'd be heading out to Colorado. The market is fairly easy according to some people I know there. (As in they have 5 applicants, and it is a matter of picking the best of the worst). I've also heard that Nebraska and Kansas have many open positions as well.

I know you want the South/Southeast area, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have never made the move.
Not hat I do not LOVE the state of North Carolina. BUT losing money every year is rather INSULTING. And as usual, I believe NONE of the elected officials have taken pay freezes / cuts.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Not hat I do not LOVE the state of North Carolina. BUT losing money every year is rather INSULTING. And as usual, I believe NONE of the elected officials have taken pay freezes / cuts.
I do love where I live, my house, my school, my friends. However, I am worse off financially now than I was 6 years ago subbing and working in a grocery store. The cost of living is higher where I am than where I live in Michigan (by a LOT), and my pay is horrible! I'm killing myself working about 25 hours a week in retail. Which is ironic, because I moved here to stop working two jobs

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM

753 posts, read 319,105 times
I teach in Northeast Tennessee. From what we hear, Chattanooga cannot keep teachers from jumping the state line into Georgia. The pay is higher, and the retirement is much, much better. (Although I'd say most states have a better retirement than Tn.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching