U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

130 posts, read 317,650 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching for several years, and I am afraid that my district is now making me bitter towards the teaching profession. I am hoping to reach out to some educators and see if how I feel is at least valid.

The first thing that I notice is that we are treated just like the students. For example, we are allowed to wear spirit shirts and jeans on fridays. The students have to tuck their shirts in, but we do not. Well today my supervisor said we had to tuck our shirt in to as "an example for the students" I'm sorry, but i didn't do 5-6 yrs of school just to be treated like a 15 yr old.

The other thing, while I am not racist at all, the administration, school board and the people in the upper positions are all african american. There are very few people from other races that are in positions of power. Being a minority myself, I feel like my chance for advancement is very low.

I have a supervisor that is EXTREMELY NEGATIVE. While all the other departments are going out to eat together on inservice days, all the teachers in my dept leave. There is no cohesion at all. Everyone does for themselves. Don't ask to borrow supplies either because you will not get any. I found out that a teacher at another campus(same district) was new and the teachers all pitched in and gave her stuff. Not my school/dept. I have just three posters up on my walls, student loans I need to pay and I am not spending my hard earned money to decorate a classroom when I don't even know if I will be here next year.

Customer Service- That is what the district calls the sheet of paper that we have to put out on our door with a picture, our degree and education level, room number and a personal philosophy about how students can succeed. To me, it seems that they are trying to make the teaching profession into retail or some service occupation.

Not allowed to text or make personal phone calls even during our OFF period. The handbook says we must support student achievement this is done by listening to the student respecting the student and engaging in school activities. There is nothing in any book that says the student must respect the teacher. We are not allowed to eat or drink in class. I can understand the food, but my mouth gets dry from teaching and answering questions and I can't even have a bottle of water?

That is everything off the top of my head right now. Am I jsut being a non conformist? or is this really too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM

25,387 posts, read 31,396,850 times
I came out of industry and I've never had so many rules about what I could and could not do on my break time. We were told this year that we can't even use the school Wi-Fi on our personal computers or phones to check emails. Compared to industry I am micromanaged much in the way students are, which drives me nuts.

I did have a dress code in industry but it was just business casual and special shirts with out company logo on them on tour days (the company provided the shirts). I think teachers should have a dress code that is different from the students dress code. One that is more professional. I've noticed that the male teachers who wear shirt and ties to work seem to be more respected. I wish there was a professional dress version of the shirt and tie for women. Suits are just too expensive to buy on a teacher's salary and I ruin my clothes in the lab.

Ah...customer service...The charter school I worked at had us put on a dog an pony show twice a year where we had to set up these elaborate displays about all the educational things going on in our classes. I taught chemistry and physics and everything on my table came from my personal collection because I had NOTHING in my classroom. I spent over $1000 of my own money my first year in supplies for demonstrations and so the kids could do labs. I left the chemicals but took all the equipment I bought.

In industry, you only display your diploma and accomplishments if you're pretty high up the food chain. Seriously, the kids don't care what degrees you have.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM

130 posts, read 317,650 times
Hey ivory, it's good to see that it's just not just me. I mean our district is horrible, but I can't change out of it right now. I am hoping to do that before I sign my contract again next year.

I think the whole school wifi is bs. I mean I have brought my own personal computer to work several times just to be able to show students things. I teach spanish and YOUTUBE has a lot of great videos about pronunciation and such, but alas, we are not allowed to use YOUTUBE, we are only allowed to use teachertube or whatever it is which not only sucks but doesn't have spanish stuff even on it.

I have had a dress code before and that is not really a big deal, but the issue that I have is that any time that they issue a directive at the students, we instantly have to follow it. Umm I'm a teacher NOT A STUDENT. I feel belittled and not at all an adult when they do that. As for the professional clothes during a lab, i don't think you should have to wear that stuff. I mean the coaches are not outside in professional clothes on the field so why shouldn't think apply to you?

yeah "customer service" I abhor that term, like every fiber in my being cringes when it hears those two words. I am pretty rebellious, I refuse to buy supplies unless it is for worksheets and that's it. You did better than I would have because I wouldn't have spent my money.

And you are right, the kids could care less what you have a degree in. I put bachelor's degree for my sheet and someone asked me how were people going to know what I studied. I said, "if they want to know that bad, they can go to my university and look up my records there"

Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,606,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
I have been teaching for several years, and I am afraid that my district is now making me bitter towards the teaching profession. I am hoping to reach out to some educators and see if how I feel is at least valid.

The first thing that I notice is that we are treated just like the students. For example, we are allowed to wear spirit shirts and jeans on fridays. The students have to tuck their shirts in, but we do not. Well today my supervisor said we had to tuck our shirt in to as "an example for the students" I'm sorry, but i didn't do 5-6 yrs of school just to be treated like a 15 yr old.

The other thing, while I am not racist at all, the administration, school board and the people in the upper positions are all african american. There are very few people from other races that are in positions of power. Being a minority myself, I feel like my chance for advancement is very low.

I have a supervisor that is EXTREMELY NEGATIVE. While all the other departments are going out to eat together on inservice days, all the teachers in my dept leave. There is no cohesion at all. Everyone does for themselves. Don't ask to borrow supplies either because you will not get any. I found out that a teacher at another campus(same district) was new and the teachers all pitched in and gave her stuff. Not my school/dept. I have just three posters up on my walls, student loans I need to pay and I am not spending my hard earned money to decorate a classroom when I don't even know if I will be here next year.

Customer Service- That is what the district calls the sheet of paper that we have to put out on our door with a picture, our degree and education level, room number and a personal philosophy about how students can succeed. To me, it seems that they are trying to make the teaching profession into retail or some service occupation.

Not allowed to text or make personal phone calls even during our OFF period. The handbook says we must support student achievement this is done by listening to the student respecting the student and engaging in school activities. There is nothing in any book that says the student must respect the teacher. We are not allowed to eat or drink in class. I can understand the food, but my mouth gets dry from teaching and answering questions and I can't even have a bottle of water?

That is everything off the top of my head right now. Am I jsut being a non conformist? or is this really too much?
My district has issues too, especially in my department (we have two clearly divided camps) but we have very few rules from the administration. We have no dress code (and I literally wear jeans, t-shirt, and sneaks a couple of days a week), we can make personal calls during prep or lunch, and our admins frequently let us leave early if something comes up without docking us a day. Oh, and we do not have department supervisors.

Now our current contract negotiations did not go well, and that really soured the staff on the admins, aside from that though we get along ok.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 10,186,126 times
Responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post

Complaining about something like this makes you sound like a 15 yr old - you also didn't do your schooling simply for the right to wear your shirt untucked.

Does the administration reflect the demographics of the community? If so, I don't see what the problem is.

Departments are made up of individuals, and you are part of the make-up of the group. While your supervisor may be a dud, that doesn't stop people from supporting each other.

To me, it just sounds like a cutesy name for posting your philosophy.

Not being able to have water or use your phone during preps sounds petty, but you're still only having to meet the same guidelines as students.

Honestly, all your complaints revolve around you personally. I'd have more respect for somebody who was frustrated by a district because the students weren't getting what they needed. Maybe you're just burnt out and need a change of scenery, but these sound like pretty minor complaints. I don't see it as non-conformity.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it sounded like you wanted real opinions.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Responses below.

Honestly, all your complaints revolve around you personally. I'd have more respect for somebody who was frustrated by a district because the students weren't getting what they needed. Maybe you're just burnt out and need a change of scenery, but these sound like pretty minor complaints. I don't see it as non-conformity.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it sounded like you wanted real opinions.
Why is it teachers are not allowed to have complaints about their jobs??? We didn't join a convent and there is good and bad in every job. Comparing how I'm treated as a teacher who how I was treated as an engineer, it does feel like the administration thinks I'm one of the students and I'm going to skip class or text intead of teach. Most days if feels like they think I'm going to do anything I can to NOT do my job. I really miss having a boss who assumed I would do my job so much that he'd be shocked if it didn't get done.

In industry, if you needed to make a personal phone call, you were just expected to do so without disruption to your job. You were expected to act like a professional. Is it really so wrong to want the same kind of respect as a teacher?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 10,186,126 times
Not allowed to complain? That's a good one.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM

35,107 posts, read 41,803,825 times
Wow, I'm glad I am out of school and did not have any of you as teachers. As my Aunt and several in laws and a few very good friends have always said:

Teaching is about the children and NOT about the administration.

If you have lost sight of the reason you are in the classroom it is time to get out of the classroom so someone who really does care more about the children than the administration can get in there and do what they love to do.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Wow, I'm glad I am out of school and did not have any of you as teachers. As my Aunt and several in laws and a few very good friends have always said:

Teaching is about the children and NOT about the administration.

If you have lost sight of the reason you are in the classroom it is time to get out of the classroom so someone who really does care more about the children than the administration can get in there and do what they love to do.
So, that means we should just put up with anything dished out "for the children"??? No. When I'm in my room, what I do is for the children. Dealing with my administration is it's own headache. I don't believe it is wrong to want to be treated like a professional by your boss. Those children we're teaching see how our administrators treat us. When they treat us like children, how much respect do they have for us? How does that impact our ability to do our jobs?

Now I would consider it unprofessional to complain to the children. However, coming to a board like this where no one knows your name to vent about it is not an issue at all. It sucks to not be treated like a professional. There's nothing wrong with saying that. In fact, getting it off your chest and seeing that others feel the same way is healthy.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Not allowed to complain? That's a good one.
Well, you're bashing her/him for complaining as if complaining by teachers is not allowed or, somehow, wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or