Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't agree with protecting bad teachers. Sink or swim. Good teachers rise to the top. Bad ones, need to be gone.
I agree, but I don't think it should be based on test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
But that is what RTT is about and that is what will take over from NCLB.

Rahm made a statement that said he took from RTT for teacher accountability.
So this is not new and all schools will eventually have to use this teacher evaluation.

Rahm: President Obama supports me against striking teachers | WashingtonExaminer.com
"I want you to understand, the president has weighed in," Emanuel said. "Every issue we're talking about regarding accountability of our schools, quality in our schools to the education of our children, is the core thrust of Race to the Top."

Emanuel added that the "notion" of the teacher evaluations he proposed came from Race to the Top.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Quote:
People are evaluated every day, about things that are out of their control. When I did substance abuse counseling, I was evaluated based on the number of clients who relapsed. Believe me, having a performance appraisal based on drug addicts relapsing was hardly "fair". Same as airlines, are judged based on planes taking off and landing on time. So, you control what you can, as much as you can.

But, it was also put into a matrix, with other performance measures. I think that the union is actually "scaring" teachers using this scare tactic....I doubt teachers would be evaluated solely on test scores, because there are too many teachers, who would be cut out of the loop, and not have any kind of performance measure, for example, I taught SPED, almost none of my students were even tested.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
I saw in the NYT today that one kindergarten teacher had 43 students.

Aside from whatever issues people may or may not have with regards to compensation, one teacher and 43 five year olds is not just ridiculous but dangerous.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Kindergarten is rarely full day. Was it split with 22 and 21 in each session?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:

If the system is implementing the current Kindergarten recommendations (NCLB and RTT) it will be a full day program. That's one thing that systems with large numbers of at risk or Title I students have done over the last several years.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Try looking at all the cold hard facts and leave your loyalties aside. The combination of the economy, tax limits, budget limits, and teachers' union demands,...I side against the union on this one. They seem to be acting like a spoiled kid begging for an expensive video game system and iPad right after his parents lost their jobs.

Oh, and below is the head of the Chicago Teachers Union. Read the story and watch the video.

Karen Lewis, Chicago union chief boasts: I spent college years 'smoking lots of weed' | Mail Online

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is what RTT is about and that is what will take over from NCLB.
I know.
When Virginia's NCLB waiver was approved, I wasn't jumping for joy.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
It was one class

Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,263 times
If the money isn't there then the CPS shouldn't be asking for a longer school day. If the CPS determines that a longer day is necessary and taxpayers agree then it needs to be realized that this won't be free.

Further, RTTT (and its predecessor NCLB) are exactly why the Federal government need to get out of education and let the states handle it (which is their responsibility, anyways). I don't know for certain but if I were to guess, I would guess that Illinois and Chicago are net donors when it comes to Federal education tax dollars. It makes little sense that educators in Chicago (or anywhere else, for that matter) should have to take orders from D.C. about how best to manager their schools.

I have no problem with evaluation, but as others have stated that are too many variables at play for student test scores to be a significant portion (i.e. more than say 30%) of judging whether or not a teacher is good at their job. I understand that in other professions that inaccurate evaluation systems exist, but that's not a good enough reason to transfer such an idea to education.

Overall I have to side with the CTU on this one. Unions in my opinion are indeed a very good thing for the teaching profession (and they do a lot in protecting the interests of the students, too). Sure some bad teachers are protected (though I think that this problem is blown out of proportion), but I'd rather have that than a situation where good teachers are let go based on faulty evaluation or don't even bother to enter the profession in the first place because working conditions and compensation have gotten so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching