Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times

Advertisements

Teachers, what are you thoughts about the new Common Core standards? Any praise or criticism at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I know very little about them and haven't heard much. I don't believe Virginia is adopting the Common Core Standards. From what I am reading, our state standards are very similar.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Texas just applied for an NCLB waiver. If we get it then we must implement RTT and the Common Core Standards are part of that.

I did read over the Math K-12 and it looks like more algebraic concepts are being introduced in 6-8.
Don't know if I like that so much.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 AM

Virginia received the NCLB waiver, but the CC is not part of it. We are using the state standards instead. The waiver requires 40% of evals to be based on student progress.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Virginia received the NCLB waiver, but the CC is not part of it. We are using the state standards instead. The waiver requires 40% of evals to be based on student progress.
Ok, I didn't realize that. Texas also declined to go with the Common Core Standards so maybe we can keep what we have even if we go to RTT.

Teachers in NYC implemented RTT and the union has sued regarding the 40% eval item.
Chicago teachers, as part of their strike, don't want the 40% eval item either.

What teacher in their right mind would go to a low performing school knowing that 40% of their evaluation is based on the kids passing the tests ? Something like that would make teachers want to go to good suburban schools and fight over AP and Honors classes.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Personally I'm very skeptical of Common Core, particularly when noting some of the forces behind it (not just state educational leaders but also textbook companies, testing companies, etc.). Further I'm not sure I like the idea of one-size fits all for every state. I guess for Math and Language Arts the idea is somewhat more palatable, but it will never, ever fly for social studies or science.

Overall I also have a problem with more Federal government intrusion into something (education) that is Constitutionally supposed to be the purview of the states. There's something that doesn't sit right with me when these standards are supposed to be voluntary but the Federal government is twisting state's arms by withholding funding. I like what I heard a leader in Virginia say which, to paraphrase, was that whatever amount of money the government gives to fund these changes isn't going to cover all of the mandates that come along with it, and states are going to have to spend out-of-pocket for everything that is unfunded.

In regards to the teacher evaluations based on testing, this is quite problematic on a number of levels, perhaps the most important being that it isn't supported by research. Such a system is going to be very discouraging to a lot of good teachers/potential teachers and it's going to make filling positions in urban schools/districts difficult in the years ahead.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok, I didn't realize that. Texas also declined to go with the Common Core Standards so maybe we can keep what we have even if we go to RTT.

Teachers in NYC implemented RTT and the union has sued regarding the 40% eval item.
Chicago teachers, as part of their strike, don't want the 40% eval item either.

What teacher in their right mind would go to a low performing school knowing that 40% of their evaluation is based on the kids passing the tests ? Something like that would make teachers want to go to good suburban schools and fight over AP and Honors classes.
We don't have much of a choice. No collective bargaining here.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did read over the Math K-12 and it looks like more algebraic concepts are being introduced in 6-8. Don't know if I like that so much.
I'm not a teacher, so please pardon my ignorance, but isn't that when algebra should be introduced? I sucessfully completed Pre-algebra and Algebra I in 7th & 8th grade respectively. My oldest took the same classes a full year earlier in 6th & 7th.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not a teacher, so please pardon my ignorance, but isn't that when algebra should be introduced? I sucessfully completed Pre-algebra and Algebra I in 7th & 8th grade respectively. My oldest took the same classes a full year earlier in 6th & 7th.
I think it is fine to start pre-algebra in 6-7th grade for the more advance students. The problem I have seen is they are teaching some geometry and pre-algebra concepts starting in 3rd grade to all students. Many of these students can't do basic arithmetic because they have not had enough practice and repetition. They end up getting to HS without knowing how to multiply or divide without a calculator. But the education experts think that is OK since calculators are usually available.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM

The calculator should not be used as a crutch as it is in some schools and districts nationwide.

That said, I think that the introduction of the concept of a "variable" and some other basic algebraic thinking should be okay for students in upper elementary schools--provided they know their basic facts. If they don't, that must take precedence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching