Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I teach in NC and this, person's letter is epic.

Please understand, I have unique qualifications, am old, and I don't care, I am more or less a renegade. You might have missed or looked over the part about section six..something. Anyway 30% of my evaluation is from the performance of the other core subject teachers at my school. The PE and art teachers are a composite of core scores.

Many people are upset/worried. I think it is great.any adverse auction whatsoever and it is lawsuit city.

Can you imagine explaining that to a jury of my peers.....ker-Ching!
Yeah I didn't get the reference to "Standard 6," but I figured it had something to do with evaluations based on test scores. I've heard of specials teachers in other places being evaluated based on test scores of students in other subjects...completely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Yeah I didn't get the reference to "Standard 6," but I figured it had something to do with evaluations based on test scores. I've heard of specials teachers in other places being evaluated based on test scores of students in other subjects...completely ridiculous.
This year, the 40% based on student performance is figured by looking at how well we meet our SMARTR goals. In a few years, classroom teachers will be rated on the results of state standards testing, while others will continue to be evaluated based on SMARTR goals.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
[/b]Don't give up. Keep your fire and passion and make it a reality. This is the kind of hope and change President Obama is talking about. One little step at a time. How many people are willing to support a Summerhill school? Find out. Take a poll. Get a petition. Start a volunteer group. You can do it!
I haven't given up. One day I will have something up and running. The former public high school where I am teaching was just taken over by a management company. Everyday I tell myself if only I had 5-10 other people we could do such a better joib.

This year I am going to seriously apply for grants and whatever to get a school up and running. For the record I would LOVE to have it in Detroit, Pontiac or some other of Michigan's Persistently Lowest Achieving areas.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
This year, the 40% based on student performance is figured by looking at how well we meet our SMARTR goals. In a few years, classroom teachers will be rated on the results of state standards testing, while others will continue to be evaluated based on SMARTR goals.
I haven't heard of "SMARTR" goals, can you explain what that is?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Specific, Measureable, attainable, realistic, time bound, rigor. That's what it stands for. The school sets a SMARTR goal. Then each teacher sets a personal goal based on the school goal. As an example, I had to write a goal that described the population of my class ( how many on or below grade level in reading, ESOL and IEP numbers, etc.). All students on grade level have to make at least one year progress in reading. All students below grade level have to make at least one year + progress.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Specific, Measureable, attainable, realistic, time bound, rigor. That's what it stands for. The school sets a SMARTR goal. Then each teacher sets a personal goal based on the school goal. As an example, I had to write a goal that described the population of my class ( how many on or below grade level in reading, ESOL and IEP numbers, etc.). All students on grade level have to make at least one year progress in reading. All students below grade level have to make at least one year + progress.
Do schools and teachers get to be realistic about these goals, or do outside forces pretty much dictate the goals, leaving little professional discretion to local educators?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Do schools and teachers get to be realistic about these goals, or do outside forces pretty much dictate the goals, leaving little professional discretion to local educators?
It was pretty much dictated. Any student on or above grade level in reading has to make at least a year progress. Those below have to make more than a year progress in order to close the achievement gap. We just have to say what % fit into each category for the goals. Of course, if the kids don't meet those goals, then it affects my evaluation. I can do all that I can to get them there, but I can't make them learn. I guess I can learn to tweak the data.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Here is his prelude blog btw, that goes into much more detail than the letter:
I (Used to) Love Teaching « Middle Grades Mastery
Looks like he wrote these blog entries just before choosing to resign.

Last edited by marigolds6; 11-05-2012 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Can anyone tell me how to effectively differentiate a nationally-aligned 6th-Grade Common Core math standard to meet the needs of 25 heterogeneously grouped 6th-grade students with abilities ranging from beginning second grade to post 11th grade with no classroom support?
what do you MEAN? YOU'RE the PROFESSIONAL. If you are having trouble it's YOUR PROBLEM. Any other questions?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
I could have written this letter. NC HAS to be at or near the bottom, even though other posters are saying it's the same elsewhere. I've never seen such a cluster &^%$ of a system. Thank GOD I got out with my sanity intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching