Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,803,393 times

Advertisements

I just read Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper.

My 5th grade grand daughter is currently reading it and loves it so far. It is an quick and easy read at lexile 700L

The story is told from the point of view of a child of 11 who has a severe from of cerebral palsy. She cannot walk or talk and can only move her thumbs. She starts off with no communication and gets communication devices. Then she sees a documentary about Steven Hawking and the computer that talks for him. Eventually she gets her own computer to speak for her and people discover that she is extremely smart.

I won't give away the plot, but the story is very emotional and gives insight into both the disabled child and the other middle school children and even into her teachers.

I highly recommend this book for late elementary, middle school and junior high students.

Another book I recommend will depend on the students ability to process school shootings. It is Mockingbird by Katherine Erskine. This one is written from the point of view of a girl with Asperger's syndrome and is a more difficult read because of the language as well as because in the story, the girl's brother has just been killed in a school shooting at the middle school where she will go the following year. It is an excellent book, but I am keeping this one away from my granddaughter for a bit because of the school shooting subtext.

I recommend it to adults who want to understand children with asperger's syndrome and to older kids who can handle the school shooting without being scared it will happen at their own school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching