Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I never concerned myself with cheating and self grading...everyone put their homework assignment on the desk at beginning of class, I marked it as "complete", ten points. Reviewed homework, everyone grade their own papers...keep them for test review.

Tests, multiple choice, Scantron. 50 points.

I never collected papers for grading.
With the common core standards, the days of the multiple guess-only tests will be by the wayside. It's centered around more writing and assessments will follow suit.

I agree with some of what you said. You simply cannot grade every daily assignment nor can you inspect every single answer on the ones you do grade. Grade some assignments, not others, and skim. Save that time for tests and projects that give you a better idea of what the students have learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
Exclamation A warning to all teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Guys: This thread makes me weep.

Let me introduce you to MS Technology. GEEZ.

If you teach MATH, 6 - 12 you shouuld be using MATHXL, a Pearson program that is aligned with Pearson books, but which can be used with any book. Also let me introduce you to MS GRANT..This is a math and tech program that grantors eat up. I spend 0 time grading math, Mathxl does it. I spend my time teaching mentoring and doing what I am supposed to.

Grading is grunt, non-value added work. MATHXL can be set up to have kids rework till they get it write.

Let me introduce you to ENGRADE...it is free and you can spend your time, setting up your questions and having students answer via ENGRADE.

Let me introduce you to IXL...yep, more technology, and it costs, but remember Ms GRANT above.

I don't mean to be harsh, but if you are slaving away grading a bunch of papers, without employing technology YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR JOB IN THE 21st Century. Period.

There are lots of solutions out there, but you need to change the way you do business, and that my friends is a real weakness in most teachers.

OBTH, my test scores are tops, my kids learn, since I spend my time, in value added efforts, not rote grading. You should too!
Okay. I write in response to your opinion on MathXL. .
As a user of MathXL as a student, I can tell you that it is unbearable to work with. It appears that I am not the only one with gripes about the program. The majority of students in my school that have fallen victim to MathXL this year have a similar opinion to mine about the program. Even if answered correctly, your input may be rejected as wrong if it is not the exact answer that MathXL wants. For example, on one of my answers on an algebra 2 quiz was (n+n)=x. My answer was counted as incorrect because the answer was (2n)=x, which always produces the same result as (n+n)=x.
On a written quiz, if a student produces an answer to a problem such as 1, but the answer to the problem was actually -1, a teacher may consider awarding the student with partial credit (in my case, odds are I would be awarded partial credit). If I haven't persuaded you yet that MathXL is not classroom-worthy, let me tell you that last year, I had the 2nd highest average in geometry/trigonometry. We used a much more useful program called DyKnow. This year, as a result of using MathXL for quizzes and homework, I currently have an average of 85% in my algebra 2 class.
All my life I have heard teachers accuse us students of being lazy. I never thought I would live to see the day I saw students lash out at teachers for being lazy. In conclusion, MathXL is not a quality program and should be kept out of the classroom. Teachers use it to grade the work of the students out of sheer laziness. If you are a teacher who is considering using MathXL, I implore you not to be fooled by the "easy" and "helpful" appearance of the program. MathXL has had a negative effect on me, the majority of the students, and my school as a whole. Please, I beg you to do the proper research and tests before using MathXL in your classroom!
Attached Thumbnails
hours spent grading-wtf.jpg  

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-24-2015 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: removed the rude comments.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I taught high school math and I agree about MathXL. The problem with many of these programs is that they do not allow for partial credit nor do they allow for answers that are correct, but in the wrong format.

Aside from that Pearson is a moneygrubbing company that should not be given any extra money by the school districts.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:30 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I taught high school math and I agree about MathXL. The problem with many of these programs is that they do not allow for partial credit nor do they allow for answers that are correct, but in the wrong format.

Aside from that Pearson is a moneygrubbing company that should not be given any extra money by the school districts.
I avoided taking any classes in college that required purchasing mywhateverlab codes. NOPE! Pearson can go suck on a large pickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching