Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

I graded tests on Friday from 8:00 until midnight, graded three assignments in one class, graded correction work and two assignments in another class yesterday (about 4 hours) and then got up this morning at 6:00 and graded 3 classes of test retakes (9 different versions of tests) and lab reports in two classes. I just finished entering the grades. Other than taking a shower and taking breaks to eat, I did nothing but grade today for over 12 hours....and I'm not done I still have late work to grade for two classes and final lab reports for the term but they'll take me all week. It's a big lab. It's a good thing this is finals week. I don't have lesson plans to prepare and the tests are automatically graded except for one class.

I love it when people tell me I work part time...

So, how much time did you spend working on school work this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM

137 posts, read 248,559 times
Yes, we work part time and have summers off. And if you teach foreign language you backpack across Europe or spend the summer in Latin America. Anyway, in response to your question, our semester ended this week so all my grading is done.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
About 4 hours Friday. It was "work at home" day (students are always off the last day of each quarter. We got "work at home" those days instead of a raise for the last 5 years) so I went goose hunting in the morning and did grading in the afternoon. I had gotten it down just to the finals for my 5 semester classes.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Well, it is almost 6:00 pm here and I am still in my PJ's. Not because I have lounged around all day, but because I have been working on my lessons at the kitchen table and have not bothered to get dressed. Lucky you. I have not even started my grading. I guess I am lucky that tomorrow is President's Day so I can get the rest of my work done.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I graded tests on Friday from 8:00 until midnight, graded three assignments in one class, graded correction work and two assignments in another class yesterday (about 4 hours) and then got up this morning at 6:00 and graded 3 classes of test retakes (9 different versions of tests) and lab reports in two classes. I just finished entering the grades. Other than taking a shower and taking breaks to eat, I did nothing but grade today for over 12 hours....and I'm not done I still have late work to grade for two classes and final lab reports for the term but they'll take me all week. It's a big lab. It's a good thing this is finals week. I don't have lesson plans to prepare and the tests are automatically graded except for one class.

I love it when people tell me I work part time...

So, how much time did you spend working on school work this weekend?
I just spent three solid days sitting in front of a computer trying to make a syllabus for a new course I just developed. I anticipate at least another whole day of this, and the semester hasn't even started. I'd say I spend about two to three hours planning and grading for every one hour of class, and that's if I'm short on time.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quite a few hours. I teach language arts and social studies. I have a total of 53 fourth graders. I'll use just one assignment as an example. They just responded to a prompt and worked through the writing process. I am assessing five different benchmarks in this one assignment. Those five benchmarks are recorded under two different standards in my gradebook. I would estimate it took between 5 and 6 hours to complete.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Well, it is almost 6:00 pm here and I am still in my PJ's. Not because I have lounged around all day, but because I have been working on my lessons at the kitchen table and have not bothered to get dressed. Lucky you. I have not even started my grading. I guess I am lucky that tomorrow is President's Day so I can get the rest of my work done.
You may have lost track of time but I don't think you've lost a month.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hehe.

It's MLK day - but here in the Texas wilderness, the teachers have a staff day even though the students are off. They won't even call it MLK day here.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Evidently, I did.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Classroom management. Stop being so OCD about it. Let the kids grade their own papers, check as complete or not, and tests done on Scantrons. I never spent time on grading. Waste of time, INMO

Why be a martyr? No one cares. You can teach effectively, and have a grade book, with assignments, with out spending 12 hours a day grading papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching