Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Oh, I know my time teaching here won't last-it's sure not worth the money. I just have to figure out what I am going to do. I need a job where I am done at a scheduled time and I dont have hours of work every day and on weekends.
Not many like that out there. Factory worker, secretary (in some cases), bank teller, construction worker, . . . . I gueess there are a few, focus on jobs where you are paid hourly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
New Mexico is BIG on hiring teach for America kids. They work cheap and the feds pick up a big part of their low salaries. Experienced teachers for the most part are out of the picture here.
I haven't heard of any TFA candidates being hired here. I was talking to my principal the other day and he made it seem like they wouldn't even be considered for a position. I don't know if he meant district-wide.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
New Mexico is BIG on hiring teach for America kids. They work cheap and the feds pick up a big part of their low salaries. Experienced teachers for the most part are out of the picture here.
What??? Maybe that's true only in very rural areas and in areas with a high percentage of Native Americans. I have never worked with or met a Teach for America teacher in my city after 21 years of teaching. New teachers get hired frequently at my school. Granted there are way more applicants than jobs, but there are jobs. At my school several brand new teachers have been hired over the past three years, but they all started out taking Educational Assistant jobs at the school for he first year. Then when the teaching openings occured, they got those positions.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
jobSearch -

south carolina IMO tends to do a lot of hiring annually. HOWEVER, be careful where you apply or where you accept. the more desirable districts are usually in or around greenville, columbia, charleston, rock hill (proximity to charlotte), and to a lesser extent the aiken / augusta area and myrtle beach.

if you look at SC stay as far away from the i-95 corridor as you can. low pay, low performing schools, some of the towns are down right dangerous. these are the places however that do tend to hire mor than any other district. primarily b/c their turnover is so high.

i got my job in greenville in 2004 over the phone. different times now though.

job renewals usually go out after spring break and are due by late april. so May for the majority of the state is when the jobs begin to pop up.

unlike NC, SC does not have a statewide salary schedule. however, most of the districts pay pretty much the same. the coastal districts tend to pay better though because the cost of living is higher.

anything east of columbia you need to stay away from. trust me.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,623 times
Default Hiring teachers

I am in Denver, Colorado and have spent the last 2 years subbing in the hopes of getting a job to no avail. I am thinking about moving to Austin, TX to get a job. Does anyone know if they are hiring? Any other places I should try? I can't do rural. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
If you think you will like Texas style education, I have heard of some hiring there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching