Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Ha! We don't go out if the temperature rounds to 50 or below, my policy.

We're looking at about 10-12 inches, so we'll be shut down for awhile. Saturday activities have already been cancelled.
We go out unless it is very cold (say the teens or lower). Today was nice, but we have a new principal so I was wondering. Truth be told, a few weeks ago we had highs in the 20s and wind chills in the teens and she just said, "Make sure they are bundled". I detest indoor recess. I'd go nuts.

We may see a dusting overnight, but I think that's a stretch. They did cancel evening activities. We got that email around 1:30 and it still hasn't done anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We go out unless it is very cold (say the teens or lower). Today was nice, but we have a new principal so I was wondering. Truth be told, a few weeks ago we had highs in the 20s and wind chills in the teens and she just said, "Make sure they are bundled". I detest indoor recess. I'd go nuts.

We may see a dusting overnight, but I think that's a stretch. They did cancel evening activities. We got that email around 1:30 and it still hasn't done anything.
I do too, but I like the time to prep.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I do too, but I like the time to prep.
The parents don't complain?

I don't need the prep time enough to miss recess.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I take my kids outside all the time unless it is windy and cold.

I'm usually the only one on my team. My partner takes them out every now and again. The other team hasn't take them outside since mid November, if not earlier.

My old district had a mandatory 30 mins of recess. Unless the wind chill was too low, that is the only time, you could not take your kids outside.

I have 18 boys so I need my recess and quiet time.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I take my kids outside all the time unless it is windy and cold.

I'm usually the only one on my team. My partner takes them out every now and again. The other team hasn't take them outside since mid November, if not earlier.

My old district had a mandatory 30 mins of recess. Unless the wind chill was too low, that is the only time, you could not take your kids outside.

I have 18 boys so I need my recess and quiet time.
Why don't they take them out? I'm really curious. We are the opposite. We all take our kids out unless it's really nasty. Even in a light mist or drizzle, we go outside.

If the weather was okay and we didn't go out, I'd be fielding emails from parents.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
The parents don't complain?

I don't need the prep time enough to miss recess.
Indoor vs outdoor the parents have never said anything. We only have 15 minutes, so if we go out it's more like 7 because we have to be to lunch immediately after.

You get a lot more planning time than we do.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Indoor vs outdoor the parents have never said anything. We only have 15 minutes, so if we go out it's more like 7 because we have to be to lunch immediately after.

You get a lot more planning time than we do.
So far this year we have had indoor recess maybe three times. We get 20 minutes, but sometimes we stretch it a little longer. Our 4th grade recess is scheduled for just after lunch. It's a hectic time though. At 12:30 I send my morning class of 3rd graders to their afternoon class, get my afternoon students and take them to lunch at 12:35. Recess is scheduled for 1:05-1:25, but we usually don't get outside until about 1:15 or 1:20 so we stay out until 1:40.

I do seem to remember that we get more planning time. I can't get any planning done while they are in the room.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Why don't they take them out? I'm really curious. We are the opposite. We all take our kids out unless it's really nasty. Even in a light mist or drizzle, we go outside.

If the weather was okay and we didn't go out, I'd be fielding emails from parents.
"It's cold!"

I don't go out in drizzle because most of our playground/play area will be mud since the grass has been beat to death so it's too muddy.

Since its not mandatory to go outside, they just to movies in the classroom.

Only time I stay inside is rainy and extreme cold.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
"It's cold!"

I don't go out in drizzle because most of our playground/play area will be mud since the grass has been beat to death so it's too muddy.

Since its not mandatory to go outside, they just to movies in the classroom.

Only time I stay inside is rainy and extreme cold.
It's funny how the idea of "cold" changes as you move south/north!

It's not mandatory for us to go outside either, but we do. The kids need to get out and move. Movies in the classroom would definitely grab the attention of both parents and my admin.

Our grassy areas are pretty muddy right now, so we allow them on the mulched playground, blacktop basketball courts and a covered concrete area that we have up next to the school. We are pretty lucky that we still have a good amount of "dry" outdoor space.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It's funny how the idea of "cold" changes as you move south/north!

It's not mandatory for us to go outside either, but we do. The kids need to get out and move. Movies in the classroom would definitely grab the attention of both parents and my admin.

Our grassy areas are pretty muddy right now, so we allow them on the mulched playground, blacktop basketball courts and a covered concrete area that we have up next to the school. We are pretty lucky that we still have a good amount of "dry" outdoor space.
I know about the movies but as of yet, we have not heard anything them. I'm sure, if certain people from the district are here and the movies are on and we will have an issue about it

We just have grass area and the swings etc area. One area is hardtop/blacktop but the kids rarely go over there.

I just enjoy not being inside with them outside.

I went out today and everyone looked at me crazy but the kids were fine until it was time come in and they felt cold then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching