Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 12:43 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,533,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Any tips for teaching Proverbs to 4th Graders?

The issue is they take the sayings too literal so they miss the point of them. Most get it once you break it down but majority of the class is deer in headlights with this topic.

Thanks.
Sorry, We don't teach Proverbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM

8,793 posts, read 15,233,641 times
A two hour delay due to winds is a nice, leisurely way to start off a Monday.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM

44,894 posts, read 59,882,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A two hour delay due to winds is a nice, leisurely way to start off a Monday.
Doesn't a delay really mess you up plan wise? It always did for me. Part of the reason was the A/B schedule.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Doesn't a delay really mess you up plan wise? It always did for me. Part of the reason was the A/B schedule.
Nope. I have third grade in the morning and fourth grade in the afternoon. I just bump to tomorrow what I was going to do this morning.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:38 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,667,032 times
Level 3 Lockdown today. One child decides to call 911 on his phone because he was scared...*sigh*

3 more days until our mini break. I'm ready for it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Our grading day is work from home now too because they lengthened the school year but did not raise our pay. Our grade posting process however requires us to get signatures which you can't do from home. I will be scrambling on Monday to get signatures because I chose not to go in. I think giving us a work at home day when we have reports that must be signed is insulting. Just pay me for the days I work thank you.
Ivory. Have you seen this MEA piece?
https://mea.org/the-disappearing-educator/

Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,533,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Our grading day is work from home now too because they lengthened the school year but did not raise our pay. Our grade posting process however requires us to get signatures which you can't do from home. I will be scrambling on Monday to get signatures because I chose not to go in. I think giving us a work at home day when we have reports that must be signed is insulting. Just pay me for the days I work thank you.
You have to get signatures? We just put them in the computer.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:53 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,585,570 times
I was so ready for our three day weekend. Yesterday (Friday) was Parent/Teacher conferences. I convinced my principal that no one comes to see the music teacher, so she let me take students skiing. Last year we took about 45ish people, this year? 70! Lots of paperwork, but well worth it!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,398,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You have to get signatures? We just put them in the computer.
Yup. Plus I have to sign certain hard copy documents. We have to have the principal sign off on our failure letters and have to sign the final grade report for each class.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,398,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ivory. Have you seen this MEA piece?
https://mea.org/the-disappearing-educator/
Yeah. It's depressing. Low morale, they treat us unprofessionally, under pay us, over work us and then wonder why teachers don't want to stay. Unfortunately, the market is still glutted. As long as they can get warm bodies in the classroom nothing will change. If I weren't too old to make a career change I'd be joining the teachers who are leaving. I tried to find something but there's a stigma attached to leaving a career and then trying to restart it.

We're feeling the sub shortage now. I sub my prep about once a week now and that's expected to get worse. What do you know. Vilify teachers and education in general and no one wants to walk in the building. It doesn't help that my district pays less than the districts around us for subs either but they tell us that has nothing to do with it.

I'll be honest, reading that article makes me hopeful that in a few years there will be a real shortage and I'll be able to switch districts and fix my pay situation (I'm still at step 1 after 7 years of teaching with no recognition for my second masters degree). I may actually be able to make a decent living for the last half dozen years I teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching