Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Not me. I've only got three weeks to go and I'm definitely not ready to go back. I've been informed that I have a two-day workshop that I must attend the week before. (Paid, but only 60% of my per diem.) It's during the week of our anniversary vacation. I haven't told them that yet. I love being able to sleep when I'm sleepy and wake up when I'm refreshed. We have enough short breaks throughout the year to ward off the burn-out.

I remember when we got out before Memorial Day and went back after Labor Day. At one point, we returned the first of August. Now the legislature has mandated a later starting date, so I don't go back until August 8. That's right around the corner. Summer is fading fast.
"Must attend..."? They tell you now? You have a vacation planned, so you're not going, right?

I have five more weeks until we report on August 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Four weeks until teacher's report back. Why is it the first half of summer goes so slow while the last half goes so fast? I swear time speeds up.

Time to get to work rewriting lesson plans and planning for the year.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,233,844 times
I go back next week, but I have two days of a PD today and tomorrow that I was informed about only two weeks ago by school email. It is a paid workshop, but at 60% of my per diem. I wonder how many other professions get to work more for less.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I go back next week, but I have two days of a PD today and tomorrow that I was informed about only two weeks ago by school email. It is a paid workshop, but at 60% of my per diem. I wonder how many other professions get to work more for less.
I thought you had a vacation planned for your anniversary. Please don't tell me you cancelled.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
So I get there and find out that it was cancelled. The email came out late yesterday afternoon after I had already double checked my school email. I rearranged our anniversary trip to be able to attend. There was no word on whether or not the PD will be rescheduled.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
So I get there and find out that it was cancelled. The email came out late yesterday afternoon after I had already double checked my school email. I rearranged our anniversary trip to be able to attend. There was no word on whether or not the PD will be rescheduled.
That stinks. You'd think they could have let you know earlier.

I have PD scheduled the week of the 11th. Haven't heard a word on it. It's out of town so they'd better let me know where I'm going. There's no one in the office this week so I'll check next week.

Summer is going fast now. It seems to go faster once I'm in waiting to go back mode. I'm definitely there.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you rearranged your trip in the first place.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't know why you rearranged your trip in the first place.
We have a new principal whom I really like. I want everything to go as well as possible this year. I'd like to make him look good so that we can get the school year off well.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
Teachers had their first day back today. This is the first time in several years that classroom time was included in the schedule, I had HOURS to get my room together.

We also got our new laptops today, MacBook Air 13". What a piece of crap! It feels so flimsy, including the keyboard. Plus, one of my colleagues couldn't put everything from his old computer to the new because he ran out of room! It only has 250gb of memory. For some reason Apple has decided to stop putting CD/DVD drives in their laptops. As a music teacher, this is not good at all. I'm missing my MacBook Pro already.

We ended the day with a teacher pep rally. I couldn't believe how poorly attended it was.

Our 6th and 9th graders begin on July 31. Everyone else begins August 1st.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We have a new principal whom I really like. I want everything to go as well as possible this year. I'd like to make him look good so that we can get the school year off well.
Ok. I guess it is your choice. That's mighty generous of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching