Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
We also have to do 180 credits in a 5 year period to stay active. They become easy to get because in-services, etc tend to count for some.
We need 180 if we use any in service training. 150 if it's all seminars. At the moment I have over 400....I wish they rolled over but they don't. I renew in two years and then start over. Needless to say I'm not in a hurry to do any more training for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Ivory I'm not sure if you said you wanted to move it not, but

RPS working to fill teacher vacancies by start of school year

Old 07-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Ivory I'm not sure if you said you wanted to move it not, but

RPS working to fill teacher vacancies by start of school year
Thanks. It may come to it but I'm not there yet. I'm hoping Detroit has a job fair next month like they did last August and I can get a job teaching math or physical science.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM

331 posts, read 369,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Thanks. It may come to it but I'm not there yet. I'm hoping Detroit has a job fair next month like they did last August and I can get a job teaching math or physical science.
What's cyber school like where you are? Or a charter?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Quote:
You know what stinks about those jobs? They each want their OWN application, with THREE references (confidential of course) and filling out of their forms.

So, if you apply to 10 jobs like this, you are asking your references to fill out 10 different forms for 10 different groups.

Applying to a school district, particularly a larger one, is far easier. You have far more options.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I haven't been able to get any information on cyber schools but charters are HORRIBLE. The pay is low, benefits are terrible and they cram as many students as they can into the smallest room they can. Then they wonder why there are lab accidents and things get broken. I did two years at a charter school and I'd have to be desperate to go back to one. The only thing that made it tolerable was the kids, the parents and I had a great principal. She really went to bat for me to get me the job I was just laid off from. But I taught too many students in too small an area with very little in the way of equipment. You can't run lab classes like that.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 PM

331 posts, read 369,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I haven't been able to get any information on cyber schools but charters are HORRIBLE. The pay is low, benefits are terrible and they cram as many students as they can into the smallest room they can. Then they wonder why there are lab accidents and things get broken. I did two years at a charter school and I'd have to be desperate to go back to one. The only thing that made it tolerable was the kids, the parents and I had a great principal. She really went to bat for me to get me the job I was just laid off from. But I taught too many students in too small an area with very little in the way of equipment. You can't run lab classes like that.
Agree, the charters here are run horribly. And they are funded from the local districts. And they do anything possible to label kids as special ed so they get 2-3 times the tuition.

I refuse to work in a charter school because they have really contributed to the budget problems in PA schools right now.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Agree, the charters here are run horribly. And they are funded from the local districts. And they do anything possible to label kids as special ed so they get 2-3 times the tuition.

I refuse to work in a charter school because they have really contributed to the budget problems in PA schools right now.
The charter I worked for would start the year with classes packed with 36 students. By Christmas I'd be down to an average of 28 students. Those missing students would return to their respective districts sans 75% of the money allocated to them which was kept by the charter. It's not that they deliberately started expelling kids after the fall count day but they wouldn't expel them before the count day.

This made for a horrible start of the year with loads of classroom management issues. As teachers know how you start the year is how you end it. It didn't matter that the kids causing the most problems were gone by Christmas. The stage had been set. Classroom management (especially labs) was SO MUCH EASIER when I took my last job where I never had more than 27 students in a chemistry class.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I have two more full days off then Thursday we're back. Aug. 1 we have just kindergarteners for a few hours, Aug. 2 we are off to the races!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:59 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
The top three reasons for being a teacher--June, July, and August. But whatever happened to August?

I have classes for CEUs the rest of the week, then report to work next Friday. Classes start on the 8th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching