Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 09:22 AM

8,820 posts, read 15,259,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm amazed at how many days some of you have built in. We have three. After the third day we have to make up one day for every two missed except we've never had to. Every time it's happened the state said we didn't have to so I'm not sure why we even have that rule.

We're back on Monday and of course they're calling for snow. Not enough to close schools. Just enough at the right time to cause major headaches getting to work. Murphy's law, lol. I need to go in early and put my room back together. We were asked to unplug everything and put cords up so that it would be easier for the custodians to clean. Nothing in my room is built in so I run cords all over the room to get everything plugged in. I hope I remember how to hook everything up.
We have 14 "days" built in because of the number of hours the students are in school. We have more than enough hours so once we miss a day and go below the required 180 days we can start counting hours. If we miss 14 days, then the 15th has to be made up, the 16th does not, the 17th does and so on...

The part I bolded could be enough to close schools here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:30 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,553,094 times
Unless something drastic happens I don’t see us going to school Monday.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,438,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We have 14 "days" built in because of the number of hours the students are in school. We have more than enough hours so once we miss a day and go below the required 180 days we can start counting hours. If we miss 14 days, then the 15th has to be made up, the 16th does not, the 17th does and so on...

The part I bolded could be enough to close schools here.
It takes 4 or more inches of snow overnigth to close school here. We're looking at 2 inches overnight and into the morning rush hour and that will not close schools. It just means I leave early and take the expressway route to work. That's the long way but I know the roads will be plowed and salted.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:37 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,203,863 times
The news here just announced that our district will be closed tomorrow due to the water crisis brought on by the sub-freezing temperatures. Over 75% of the schools have no water or low pressure. So we will get back the day of our break that we lost making up the snow day from the pre-Christmas storm. That last set of papers can wait one more day!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:31 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,590,331 times
I'm only a little jealous of those of you that got snow days. I just hope we get snow at some point, it is ridiculously dry here. There is hardly anything on Pike's Peak and there should be a healthy covering at this point.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:24 PM

331 posts, read 366,968 times
I went back from break on Wednesday the 3rd. The big Nor'easter really did NOT affect us here in this part of PA - we got 2 inches at the max. All the schools closed on Thursday, we got the call at 5:30 and it was not even snowing yet. It was over by 12, but where I live (admittedly about 20 miles N&W of the school) it was flurries at best. I actually went in to school around 1 to get some copying done, that I had wanted to do in order to give out midterm review packets on Friday.

Thursday night they called a 2 hour delay for Friday. Friday morning, get out of the shower only to have them cancel at 8:15. We're a private school and about half of our sending districts had closed, after being delayed. I was pretty angry because it was such a waste of a day, it was sunny! But cold. Why can't kids just wear a freaking coat to the bus stop?! Some kids just don't wear coats anyway, so I don't see what difference it makes. Such a waste to only have a 1 day week after break.

We have 5 days built in, so we aren't making them up yet. I normally welcome snow days BUT before midterms, it's just a mess. Each day we miss just means one less day for reviewing since I still have to cover the same curriculum. After January 26th, bring on all the snow!

Looks like a potentially messy PM commute here. Maybe an early dismissal. I'd be okay with that, my afternoon classes generally get on my nerves anyway. I can at least post their assignment online and there's a good chance they'll do it since they will at least have been in school for most of the day.

Friday it looks to be in the 50s here and rain. January thaw, I suppose.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
I went back from break on Wednesday the 3rd. The big Nor'easter really did NOT affect us here in this part of PA - we got 2 inches at the max. All the schools closed on Thursday, we got the call at 5:30 and it was not even snowing yet. It was over by 12, but where I live (admittedly about 20 miles N&W of the school) it was flurries at best. I actually went in to school around 1 to get some copying done, that I had wanted to do in order to give out midterm review packets on Friday.

Thursday night they called a 2 hour delay for Friday. Friday morning, get out of the shower only to have them cancel at 8:15. We're a private school and about half of our sending districts had closed, after being delayed. I was pretty angry because it was such a waste of a day, it was sunny! But cold. Why can't kids just wear a freaking coat to the bus stop?! Some kids just don't wear coats anyway, so I don't see what difference it makes. Such a waste to only have a 1 day week after break.

We have 5 days built in, so we aren't making them up yet. I normally welcome snow days BUT before midterms, it's just a mess. Each day we miss just means one less day for reviewing since I still have to cover the same curriculum. After January 26th, bring on all the snow!

Looks like a potentially messy PM commute here. Maybe an early dismissal. I'd be okay with that, my afternoon classes generally get on my nerves anyway. I can at least post their assignment online and there's a good chance they'll do it since they will at least have been in school for most of the day.

Friday it looks to be in the 50s here and rain. January thaw, I suppose.
Most likely a lot of the kids wouldn’t have been able to make it in. You said you pull from several districts which were closed. Maybe some of the others were harder hit?

We have several inches of ice under snow here. Tomorrow is the first day since Wednesday it will make it out of the 20s. I’m not sure how much melting will happen, but I plan to write my lesson plans tomorrow. I can basically just use last weeks. We went 1 day of the 4 I planned. The other the district announced an early release during the day, so nothing really got done because everything has to shift. Splitting between 3 rooms it’s hard when schedules change.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 PM

If we miss tomorrow or have an early dismissal due to predicted freezing rain we won't have a full week of school this month.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If we miss tomorrow or have an early dismissal due to predicted freezing rain we won't have a full week of school this month.
I don’t think we’ll go tomorrow, but the call hasn’t been made yet. I should probably write my lesson plans. There is about 2 inches of ice on the neighborhood streets.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I don’t think we’ll go tomorrow, but the call hasn’t been made yet. I should probably write my lesson plans. There is about 2 inches of ice on the neighborhood streets.
We will not have a full week of school this month. We were closed today. It’s just now starting rain and sleet a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching