Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The look doesn't work so well with students whose father is not around, for whatever reason. They've never learned what it is and don't understand that particular body language. It's then interpreted as disrespect.
Sad! It is fact that out of developed western nations, the U.S. has had the highest percentage of children born out of wedlock for some time now. And more AWOL dads by the decade! The concept of a nuclear family seems so long ago lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
We will be back in school tomorrow, the first day since we made up our first snow day on December 22. The robocall said to wear layers. The televised school board meeting included a report that said that some schools still don't have heat, although all currently have water. The overnight lows will be in the low teens, so we may start all over again tomorrow. For those of you who will be out, stay warm! I'm wearing longjohns tomorrow, as I didn't even have heat in my room until after the snow day on December 8. I certainly don't expect heat now. The good news is that we will be in the 70s by the weekend. Gotta love the winter weather in Mississippi. If you don't like it, just wait, it will change.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We will be back in school tomorrow, the first day since we made up our first snow day on December 22. The robocall said to wear layers. The televised school board meeting included a report that said that some schools still don't have heat, although all currently have water. The overnight lows will be in the low teens, so we may start all over again tomorrow. For those of you who will be out, stay warm! I'm wearing longjohns tomorrow, as I didn't even have heat in my room until after the snow day on December 8. I certainly don't expect heat now. The good news is that we will be in the 70s by the weekend. Gotta love the winter weather in Mississippi. If you don't like it, just wait, it will change.
I would NOT go to work without heat. Hell my school has heat and I still use hot hands because it’s so cold.

We had no school today and the snow didn’t start until 4ish We’re closed for tomorrow too. It’s going to get up to 40 tomorrow, so Friday will be interesting. Tomorrow is our 7th snow day this month!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
I'm in Colorado and we haven't had snow, just a few dustings. I'm going to need a snow day pretty soon!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,982 times
A cold classroom is not fun at all. I hope, your heat is semi working in the morning.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Can I ask some advice? I’m not a teacher, just a grandma volunteering at a local kindergarten and also giving reading enrichment to a second grader who is repeating second grade.

The child is very stoic. Not exactly sullen, but not talkative or expressive. He never smiles. I’m not privy to his history, other than he needs all the help he can get in reading.

I am always upbeat and encouraging. I praise the tiny accomplishments and let the small mistakes slide. I want him to look forward to the extra attention, and to feel successful.

The past few weeks, when I speak to him, he doesn’t respond. I am usually good at drawing people out, but he just leafs through a book and does not talk to me, and ignores the questions I ask him....like how was his Christmas vacation, and did he play in the snow? What would he like to do first? Read a book, or do his flash cards? Stuff like that.

I’ll admit that my initial reaction was to return him to class for being uncooperative, but instead, I just told him when he was ready to read to let me know, and I read a book quietly to myself. All the while, i was wondering what I was going to do if after 10 minutes or so he still wasn’t cooperating.

Today, I did mention it to the teacher, so maybe we can discuss it next week.

What is the professional way to hand this?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can I ask some advice? I’m not a teacher, just a grandma volunteering at a local kindergarten and also giving reading enrichment to a second grader who is repeating second grade.

The child is very stoic. Not exactly sullen, but not talkative or expressive. He never smiles. I’m not privy to his history, other than he needs all the help he can get in reading.

I am always upbeat and encouraging. I praise the tiny accomplishments and let the small mistakes slide. I want him to look forward to the extra attention, and to feel successful.

The past few weeks, when I speak to him, he doesn’t respond. I am usually good at drawing people out, but he just leafs through a book and does not talk to me, and ignores the questions I ask him....like how was his Christmas vacation, and did he play in the snow? What would he like to do first? Read a book, or do his flash cards? Stuff like that.

I’ll admit that my initial reaction was to return him to class for being uncooperative, but instead, I just told him when he was ready to read to let me know, and I read a book quietly to myself. All the while, i was wondering what I was going to do if after 10 minutes or so he still wasn’t cooperating.

Today, I did mention it to the teacher, so maybe we can discuss it next week.

What is the professional way to hand this?
He may not have gotten anything for Christmas. His parents could be getting a divorce. He may be suffering other trauma. I’d just read to him if he doesn’t want to read to you. He may need, more than anything else in the world, to know someone cares about him. Clearly you care about him, and you may be the person who makes the difference for him. Good luck

Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM

There’s no snow in the forecast next week! I’m not sure what I’ll do with out a snow day. I haven’t worked a whole week since December, lol.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:21 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
He may not have gotten anything for Christmas. His parents could be getting a divorce. He may be suffering other trauma. I’d just read to him if he doesn’t want to read to you. He may need, more than anything else in the world, to know someone cares about him. Clearly you care about him, and you may be the person who makes the difference for him. Good luck
I don’t think that’s it, because his first episode was before Christmas. I think asking “how are you today” is pretty innocuous. I think it has nothing to do with the content of my questions.
Even the librarian at school asked me why he seemed so subdued.

Of course I could read to him, but I am only there to bolster his own reading skills, not babysit.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
There’s no snow in the forecast next week! I’m not sure what I’ll do with out a snow day. I haven’t worked a whole week since December, lol.
We have an early release next Thursday, an "alternate work location" day Friday and then a staff development day the following Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching