Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times

Advertisements

I would tell/ask his teacher, if he has any issues because he is extremely quiet when you meet with him.

School is closed again tomorrow. I see extended school days back in our future...*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:47 PM

331 posts, read 369,895 times
Finally had a normal day today. This week has been horrible, MLK Day inservice, early dismissal Tuesday, no school Wednesday, normal day today and tomorrow. Midterms start on Tuesday. Many students complained that they were taking 3-5 tests today. A test I gave today I'd been trying to give since last Wednesday. It's so hectic and I do feel bad for the kids BUT they had all this time off to study - of course they did not!

Admin's plan for what to do if there's snow during midterms (which are half days) next week: "Let's pray it doesn't snow!" Sounds like a great plan to me...

Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I would tell/ask his teacher, if he has any issues because he is extremely quiet when you meet with him.

School is closed again tomorrow. I see extended school days back in our future...*sigh*
Extended days are no fun. I remember doing that, but it was probably almost 20 years ago. With the way we do it now we'd have to miss 12 more days before having to make up a day and that's not likely to happen.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Our district re-opened today for the first time since before Christmas. At my school, some classrooms started out with heat, including mine, but before noon the boiler went out and probably won't be back on tomorrow. The low tonight is 18. We had water in the toilets, but it was the color of very strong tea and looked awful. They did flush, thank goodness. I don't know if the kitchen was under a boil water notice.

At other schools there were port-a-potties and hand sanitizer stations. The news is interviewing children who report that they had to put their toilet tissue in garbage cans and that the toilets were overflowing. It does not look good for tomorrow.

I hear that New Orleans is undergoing something similar. I know there are areas of the city with old pipes just like ours. They can't handle the shifts in the soil brought on by the sub-freezing weather.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We have an early release next Thursday, an "alternate work location" day Friday and then a staff development day the following Monday.
Our early release, next Friday, is now a make up day. No biggie since early release for us is just 2 hours. We have a teacher work day the following week. Well we did. They already pushed it back once after the first 5 snow days. Not sure if they'll push it back again. Some local cities just called off semester exams to help get back on track.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:

I'll take an extra 20 min over extra days!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Our district re-opened today for the first time since before Christmas. At my school, some classrooms started out with heat, including mine, but before noon the boiler went out and probably won't be back on tomorrow. The low tonight is 18. We had water in the toilets, but it was the color of very strong tea and looked awful. They did flush, thank goodness. I don't know if the kitchen was under a boil water notice.

At other schools there were port-a-potties and hand sanitizer stations. The news is interviewing children who report that they had to put their toilet tissue in garbage cans and that the toilets were overflowing. It does not look good for tomorrow.

I hear that New Orleans is undergoing something similar. I know there are areas of the city with old pipes just like ours. They can't handle the shifts in the soil brought on by the sub-freezing weather.

That sounds like pure hell. I hope, the building still smells pleasant for the most part.

Quote:
Extended days are no fun. I remember doing that, but it was probably almost 20 years ago. With the way we do it now we'd have to miss 12 more days before having to make up a day and that's not likely to happen.
Not at all. Waste of 30 minutes because you can barely teach in the allotted time. Even more annoying that we don't have to make up the days legally but our super will make it happen anyhow.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:

That sounds like pure hell. I hope, the building still smells pleasant for the most part.

Not at all. Waste of 30 minutes because you can barely teach in the allotted time. Even more annoying that we don't have to make up the days legally but our super will make it happen anyhow.
Either they are trying to collect the state dollars because of the way the state calculates their contribution or they are mollifying parents. It is never done "in the best interest of the child."

Pretty much every teacher will tell you adding minutes to remaining days is a waste of time at best and can create a potential additional classroom management problem due to the extra down time, especially beyond elementary school. Adding somewhere between 4-10 minutes on every period in middle or high school only means they have 4-10 minutes extra to do the same lesson they would have done that day anyway. At least in elementary school they can add the 30-40 minutes as an enrichment because one teacher gets the entire 30-40 minutes.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:06 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Our district just dismissed early due to low pressure or no water at 60% of the schools. Our school had pressure and could flush toilets, but the problem was too widespread. I got home to find that our outside spigot had burst and we had to turn our water off. Fun fun.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Either they are trying to collect the state dollars because of the way the state calculates their contribution or they are mollifying parents. It is never done "in the best interest of the child."

Pretty much every teacher will tell you adding minutes to remaining days is a waste of time at best and can create a potential additional classroom management problem due to the extra down time, especially beyond elementary school. Adding somewhere between 4-10 minutes on every period in middle or high school only means they have 4-10 minutes extra to do the same lesson they would have done that day anyway. At least in elementary school they can add the 30-40 minutes as an enrichment because one teacher gets the entire 30-40 minutes.
Pretty much.

For us, we had this earlier in the fall to make up one snow day. An extra 20-25 minutes but admin decided to go with a writing initiatives instead of allowing us to use our time. By the time, we switch back, the kids get settled and we begin the lesson, it was time for dismissal. An utter waste of time. Near the end of the time, I just went to showing videos based on whatever I was teaching earlier in the day because it was too much or just went ahead finished lessons from earlier in Social Studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching