Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,484,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We had our 5th weather related closing of the year today! Michael knocked out power and downed a lot of trees.

Florence=4 days
Michael=1 day
Snow=?
We had 3 for Florence and 1 for Michael. Thankfully they have said we don't have to make up any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,588,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We had 3 for Florence and 1 for Michael. Thankfully they have said we don't have to make up any of them.
We added 5 min a day for Florence. I’m not sure what will happen with Micheal.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:26 PM

One of the options for next year's school calendar in my district is a 2 week break between first and second semester. I don't know when that will be, but my guess is that school would start 2 weeks earlier, and the break would be the last 2 weeks of January. If not, it will be the first 2 weeks of February.

There will be some teacher workdays in there, so teachers wouldn't get the entire 2 weeks off.

I voted FOR it. Man I miss working in year round schools where I could take a vacation when the rest of the world was not also off.

Would you vote for it?

Old 10-20-2018, 12:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,306,429 times
Quote:
One of the options for next year's school calendar in my district is a 2 week break between first and second semester. I don't know when that will be, but my guess is that school would start 2 weeks earlier, and the break would be the last 2 weeks of January. If not, it will be the first 2 weeks of February.

There will be some teacher workdays in there, so teachers wouldn't get the entire 2 weeks off.

I voted FOR it. Man I miss working in year round schools where I could take a vacation when the rest of the world was not also off.

Would you vote for it?
I’d have to see the rest of the calendar. How long is winter break? I’m assuming you have something around Christmas and Jan 1. When does it start?

Are those workdays comprised of teacher directed time, staff development, or school planning days?

Is there also a spring break?

Two weeks earlier at the beginning of the year would be approximately what date?

Old 10-20-2018, 01:54 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,137,835 times
Quote:

Would you vote for it?
I worked for a few years in a school system that went 9 weeks, 2 week Fall break, went 9 weeks, 2 week Christmas break, went 9 weeks, 2 week Spring break, went 9 weeks, then Summer break. Sweetest schedule ever, everyone loved it - kids, parents, teachers ... then came high stakes testing.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I worked for a few years in a school system that went 9 weeks, 2 week Fall break, went 9 weeks, 2 week Christmas break, went 9 weeks, 2 week Spring break, went 9 weeks, then Summer break. Sweetest schedule ever, everyone loved it - kids, parents, teachers ... then came high stakes testing.
For 17 years I worked in year round schools! I miss it so much. We worked 4 months, off 2, worked 4, off 2.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I’d have to see the rest of the calendar. How long is winter break? I’m assuming you have something around Christmas and Jan 1. When does it start?

Are those workdays comprised of teacher directed time, staff development, or school planning days?

Is there also a spring break?

Two weeks earlier at the beginning of the year would be approximately what date?
Not sure about all of that. They did say we would still get 2 weeks at Christmas and a Spring Break. My *guess* is that it would eliminate some of the teacher workdays during the school year that seem to be random.....some are staff development, some are just teacher workdays.....that number shouldn't change as it is dictated by the state.

Actually, nothing should change in terms of number of days/hours we have to have instruction time, days we have to have staff development, and days we have to have optional teacher workdays.

However, there was mention of a longer school day to make up some of the time, which is fine with me. 15 min. more per day won't make a difference either way.

I used to work in year round schools and we had 163 school days instead of 180. In order to do that, students were there from 7:30-3:40. And we only had 3 teacher workdays per year! It was wonderful.

Now we have 175 school days, 10 optional workdays, and 10 mandatory teacher workdays. It is ridiculous.

So, I went from working 166 days per year to working 195, and my pay went WAY down.....sigh.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Not sure about all of that. They did say we would still get 2 weeks at Christmas and a Spring Break. My *guess* is that it would eliminate some of the teacher workdays during the school year that seem to be random.....some are staff development, some are just teacher workdays.....that number shouldn't change as it is dictated by the state.

Actually, nothing should change in terms of number of days/hours we have to have instruction time, days we have to have staff development, and days we have to have optional teacher workdays.

However, there was mention of a longer school day to make up some of the time, which is fine with me. 15 min. more per day won't make a difference either way.

I used to work in year round schools and we had 163 school days instead of 180. In order to do that, students were there from 7:30-3:40. And we only had 3 teacher workdays per year! It was wonderful.

Now we have 175 school days, 10 optional workdays, and 10 mandatory teacher workdays. It is ridiculous.

So, I went from working 166 days per year to working 195, and my pay went WAY down.....sigh.
We have 194, 14 of which are (for lack of a better term) teacher workdays.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 PM

We are in need of a PE teacher (elementary). Anybody know an upcoming December graduate?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:56 PM

I am signing up for National Boards. Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching