Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

I'm on break now. Whooo! Whooo!

We have 10 weeks once we go back. I count the Mondays until I can count the days on my fingers. Ten Mondays go by really fast!

The bad news is that it's going to rain every day. At least it's not snow. We've missed a day and had two delays in the past few weeks. And this is Mississippi, where the day before the snow it was nearly 80 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm on break now. Whooo! Whooo!

We have 10 weeks once we go back. I count the Mondays until I can count the days on my fingers. Ten Mondays go by really fast!

The bad news is that it's going to rain every day. At least it's not snow. We've missed a day and had two delays in the past few weeks. And this is Mississippi, where the day before the snow it was nearly 80 degrees.
I'm jealous. 4 weeks until break and then 9 weeks until summer break. This one cannot come soon enough. I'm tired and March has just started. It's been a very busy year.

I'm in Michigan and we're supposed to be in the 40's this week maybe even the 50's. WHOO HOOO. Time to break out the shorts and pack away the winter coat, lol. There's still snow on the ground but today felt like spring. I hope it sticks around.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
5 more school days until our Spring break! It has been a TOUGH six months, I moved my parents from Connecticut to Colorado, they have been living with my family, and this past week finally moved into their own home. I cannot WAIT for a vacation where I don't need to fly to Connecticut, visit my dad in a hospital, or try to move someone.

When we get back to school, there will be 40 school days left.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
5 more school days until our Spring break! It has been a TOUGH six months, I moved my parents from Connecticut to Colorado, they have been living with my family, and this past week finally moved into their own home. I cannot WAIT for a vacation where I don't need to fly to Connecticut, visit my dad in a hospital, or try to move someone.

When we get back to school, there will be 40 school days left.
That doesn't seem too bad.

We have 9 days of school until spring reak (tomorrow the students are off). After break we have about 54 days.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Default Vent - sometimes retired teachers are subbing because we need the money!

Arrrrrggggg!

I'm a retired teacher who currently is a substitute teacher because my family needs the money (a long story, basically I needed to retire early due to my severe health issues but then my husband became disabled and I had to return to work, plus we had other financial setbacks, etc. etc.)

On Friday two different retired teachers who were subbing at the same school with me, in separate conversations, mentioned to me how "lucky" we (retired teachers) were to be able to sub to "earn extra money for vacations" and for "fun extras".

I knew both of them only slightly so they wouldn't have known about my situation but both just assumed that every retired teacher subbed "for fun" or "to get out of the house" or "to add to their travel fund" or "to buy expensive presents for their grandchildren". Arrrrgggg!!!!

Normally, it wouldn't have bothered me but both women went on and on about how they used the "extra money" they earned subbing. One was leaving for a vacation and she told me that her subbing money went to "up grading to fly first class" and to renting a "top of the line condo on the beach for a month".

The other mentioned that she had just returned from taking her daughter, son-in-law, and her three grandchildren on a week long vacation to Disney World (and paid for all of them). Yikes! I can't even imagine how much that must of cost (probably more than just money earned subbing).

All the while, I'm thinking "Well, the $100 that I earned today will be used to buy groceries or pay some of the electric bill or some other essential bill" not on a fun vacation.

I am very happy that some/many retired teachers are doing OK financially but sometimes I wonder why so many people just assume that we all are doing fine. Sorry, for the long vent, but this comes up a lot. I've even had fellow subs ask me point blank if I am subbing "to get out of the house" or "to buy presents for my grandchildren (or contribute to their college fund)"?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. It was a long week, some easy subbing days and some very hard subbing days, and care giving for my disabled spouse was especially brutal in the evenings & the middle of the nights.

End of vent.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-15-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
3 weeks til Spring Break! 7 weeks of school left after we get back.

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming

Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 PM

One more day until break. OMG it can not come fast enough.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
One more day until break. OMG it can not come fast enough.
Are you off again around Easter?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 PM

We have two weeks off, we don't go back until April 6.

We started Aug. 1.

I don't know if this should be its own thread or not, but a coworker had to give out awards for her special's area. Every single award went to cute white girls.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
We have two weeks off, we don't go back until April 6.

We started Aug. 1.

I don't know if this should be its own thread or not, but a coworker had to give out awards for her special's area. Every single award went to cute white girls.
I guess I'd need to know more about the numbers and demographics. For example, in my afternoon class the girls outnumber the boys 17 to 7. Sixteen of those girls are white. Each quarter we give out 3 academic awards. It's entirely possible that they would all go to girls in a quarter. What is the total number of students and how many awards were given out of that total?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching