Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
EXACTLY!! I have believed we have been going this route for 15 years. The system is just perfecting the criteria to JUSTIFY keeping the teaching force YOUNG and inexperienced.

Older veteran teachers are dinosaurs and uninformed about the latest methods---ROFLMAO!!
Yes. It's so obvious. Teachers know nothing about education. Everyone who's never taught is now THE authority on what's best for our schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Yes. It's so obvious. Teachers know nothing about education. Everyone who's never taught is now THE authority on what's best for our schools.
People who aren't teachers don't know when something is going wrong or is quite out of the ordinary?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think it has it's pros and cons. Professors already have to do it. Jobs already do it. I think in schools they should take the advice of the smart children. My son tells me about the children who are bad and the teachers don't do much. I also heard about his female teacher having a bad day and just screaming at her students. I agree with the young children taking revenge on the teacher. But the district should take in account of what was observed and in the child's records. But I do know in college it's anonymous.
professors do it because they are dealing, for the most part, with adults (at least in night school), and some mature young adults during morning and afternoon classes. some because the participation trophy generation still voices its opinions and feelings as gospel.

a child of 8 or 12 or 15 or even 18 has no idea what high quality instruction is other than just getting instruction and doing the work.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I took up a total of 20 cellphones this week and brought them to the office.
Those 20 kids have to pay to get them back.

If they were rating me .......

Old 04-13-2013, 05:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Maybe I don't get the big picture but I COULD NOT CARE LESS about the idiotic ideas that frequently arise on teacher evaluations. I do my best, which is much better than expected, and that is it.

The NC eval is now 30 some pages, and there is one section, can't remember, where ones grade is a composite of schools scores or something. We have had so many meetings on it, and it is so stupid, I just don't pay attention.

Look at it this way. That crazy stuff is just money in the bank if you get fired. Can you imagine going to the jury, in a wrongful termination suit, and telling them that you were fired because a bunch of 9 year olds didn't like teacher.

KerChing!!!! Embrace the madness.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Oh wow, this may qualify as the worst idea ever in education. And there have been some bad ones lately.

Last night I watched the movie Up the Down Staircase. It was about a new teacher with a bad class in the 1960s. Funny thing was, those inner city bad kids were better behaved then some of our "good" classes.
I've watched that movie at least 15 times since I was a kid. Great movie!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
EXACTLY!! I have believed we have been going this route for 15 years. The system is just perfecting the criteria to JUSTIFY keeping the teaching force YOUNG and inexperienced.

Older veteran teachers are dinosaurs and uninformed about the latest methods---ROFLMAO!!
I was kind of shocked to find out that a 2.5 GPA is quite acceptable for applying for teacher positions.
Quite a different story in the business world.

Board member asks: Is a 2.5 GPA enough for a prospective teacher? - Columbia Daily Tribune : Education

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Fits nicely into my "conspiracy theory."

This is another way to get experienced teachers at higher compensation out of the classrooms to be replaced by rookies at the bottom of the pay scale. The states will save billions in the process and ANYONE can teach to the test, which is all that's expected now.
My school district even has a name for it "The Name of District Model". Top administrators brag about how they need to get all the "old" teachers out so they can be replaced by "new, fresh, innovative teachers".

And by "old" they mean over 40. The mid 50 and older teachers are long gone as well as many of the teachers in their early 50s.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:19 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Well, I am 60, going strong and have been deemed "an icon" by our asst superintendent. I got two more years in my, maybe

Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I was kind of shocked to find out that a 2.5 GPA is quite acceptable for applying for teacher positions.
Quite a different story in the business world.

Board member asks: Is a 2.5 GPA enough for a prospective teacher? - Columbia Daily Tribune : Education
I will tell you this, for the most part, I was not impressed with the ed majors I attended school with. Most didn't have the common sense to know when they didn't know something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching