Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times

Advertisements

This thread is a train wreck on so many levels you just can't look away.

But I do enjoy some of the education "experts" declaiming their beliefs. I wish I could do that with engineers, tell them that although they have years of training and experience they don't know what they're doing. But that guy over there with a 40 oz. in a paper bag knows what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,873,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This thread is a train wreck on so many levels you just can't look away.

But I do enjoy some of the education "experts" declaiming their beliefs. I wish I could do that with engineers, tell them that although they have years of training and experience they don't know what they're doing. But that guy over there with a 40 oz. in a paper bag knows what to do.
Sorry, can't bump your rep. on this. Got to "spread it around".

Good post. Qualifications for education expertise generally translates into "I remember when I attended school".

Reminds you also of the most damning thing a teacher could do. That's having an alcoholic beverage while eating dinner at the local supper club. The tongues wag all over town as it's reported by the guy whose blasted sitting at the end of the bar who happens to have kids in school and complains about the bad example the teacher is making.

Last edited by jmgg; 04-17-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,288,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Conservatives should be allowed NO WHERE NEAR a class room. The notion of them spreading their narrow minded filth to a new generation is a true tragedy. We do not need youngsters to adopt ideologically poisonous views on race, class, gender or immigration.
Wow, that's not very tolerant of you. I thought liberals were open-minded.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
My school had a new administrator the first year we implemented my class for expelled students. She was afraid of my kids so she rarely came to my room. We had my evaluation meeting anyway, where she asked me to clarify my schedule. I told her we spent an hour on reading, another on math, switched between history and science, etc. Her response,
"Oh, you actually teach them academics?" This was MAY and she had no idea what went on in my class, outside of the frequent drug busts and violent outbursts. How does that work in a merit pay system???
It doesn't. People on the outside don't get that our evaluations are based on snap shots and snap shots are rarely accurate. I liked my old school. Since I liked to teach with my door open, the principal would just stand outside and listen on a regular basis. I felt her assessments were fair and her suggestions for improvement were things I really did need.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It doesn't. People on the outside don't get that our evaluations are based on snap shots and snap shots are rarely accurate. I liked my old school. Since I liked to teach with my door open, the principal would just stand outside and listen on a regular basis. I felt her assessments were fair and her suggestions for improvement were things I really did need.
Which is exactly why teachers who are motivated, will go for National Board Certification.

Go ahead, rate the ONLY National Board Certified teacher in this school as "Unsatisfactory". Not gonna happen. National Board Certification is worth it, on so many levels.

Home | NBPTS

Old 04-20-2013, 05:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Which is exactly why teachers who are motivated, will go for National Board Certification.

Go ahead, rate the ONLY National Board Certified teacher in this school as "Unsatisfactory". Not gonna happen. National Board Certification is worth it, on so many levels.

Home | NBPTS
I like that....

Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:

Home | NBPTS
That happened at my school. Admin had a frat brother who needed a job. My system doesn't make National Certification worthwhile to do, in any case.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The guy beside me teaches science and believes the earth is 4000 or so years old. That, I think, is pretty conservative.
That is religious, not conservative.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,834,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That is religious, not conservative.

both traditionally tend to go hand in hand no?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,834,800 times
Quote:

Home | NBPTS

what do I gain from becoming Nationally certified is the question I always ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching