Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Why do you think you deserve a tip? You are a professional right?

Sorry about your starbuckes card problem.

Life can be hard I guess.

Deserve a tip? No. You read that into what I wrote. I don't expect anything.

I was just suggesting that Starbucks cards are good for someone who drinks coffee, but not necessarily for someone who doesn't. The OP is looking for suggestions. If she can match the gift up with something the teacher likes, then that's great, otherwise the gift might not get used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I got the greatest gift from one of my parents this year.

First, she contacted my principal and discussed how her son had thrived in my classroom, even going so far as to say this year had been his best since he started to school. Then she arranged with the principal to provide lunch for my entire team. On the designated day, she brought us a wonderful home cooked meal complete with two meat choices, three vegetables, bread, dessert, and drinks. Our principal arranged for someone to cover our lunch duty, allowing us to relax.

As if this wasn't enough, she then wrote a letter of praise to the district superintendent and sent copies to all of the board members and the mayor.

It was a great gift.

Hmmmm.....how does another parent follow that? Did that kid get an A?

IMO, schools shouldn't allow such elaborate gifts, they are thinly veiled bribes. It puts other parents in an akward position if they can't compete. Just don't expect such in the future, this is still a recession!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

IMO, schools shouldn't allow such elaborate gifts, they are thinly veiled bribes. It puts other parents in an akward position if they can't compete. Just don't expect such in the future, this is still a recession!
???
The parent sent letters and cooked a meal. Complimentary letters sent to administrators on the teacher's behalf and providing lunch for the team is "elaborate"?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Why do you think you deserve a tip? You are a professional right?

Sorry about your starbuckes card problem.

Life can be hard I guess.
Why would you call it a tip? That's odd. Gifts are given to people to who are close to you. It's a thoughtful gesture. Most teachers don't expect a gift, but it's nice to recognize someone's efforts.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:

Bribes for what? When you bribe someone you are expecting to receive something for something given. When you give a gift at the end of the year....what are you expecting to get??

Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM

524 posts, read 843,684 times
I want those gifts. I go above and beyond for those dang parents and their daughters and I want a starbucks card, an orchid, candy, gift cards to home goods, you name it. Please bring it all you parents.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
I think that a nice note is good. They aren't waitresses. That and a photo of your child and them in a frame decorated by your child. Made out of Popsicle sticks and glitter!

A good teacher will love this.
Uhm.... that is a more appropriate parent gift. A note with the child's picture is fine but no homemade picture frames. PLEASE!!!!!! (PS - That doesn't mean I am not a good teacher)

Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I got the greatest gift from one of my parents this year.

First, she contacted my principal and discussed how her son had thrived in my classroom, even going so far as to say this year had been his best since he started to school. Then she arranged with the principal to provide lunch for my entire team. On the designated day, she brought us a wonderful home cooked meal complete with two meat choices, three vegetables, bread, dessert, and drinks. Our principal arranged for someone to cover our lunch duty, allowing us to relax.

As if this wasn't enough, she then wrote a letter of praise to the district superintendent and sent copies to all of the board members and the mayor.

It was a great gift.
Quote:

I agree that what was described was way overboard and the principal should have put some breaks on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching