Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
North Dakota is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, paying states in the nation. Between the weather and the pay, unless you are just desperately searching for wide open space, I'd try other places first.
Yep....We keep telling people that, but they come anyway....

OP You may want to check the N.D. threads and update a bit. There has been lots of changes due to the oil boom and our economy in the state is not like the other states.

I wouldn't dissuade someone who needs a job from checking out someone's post unless I had personal information. Just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep....We keep telling people that, but they come anyway....

OP You may want to check the N.D. threads and update a bit. There has been lots of changes due to the oil boom and our economy in the state is not like the other states.

I wouldn't dissuade someone who needs a job from checking out someone's post unless I had personal information. Just sayin....
I checked out the pay scales at the links provided before commenting. I know North Dakota is experiencing a boom, unlike most other states. Booms, however, are accompanied by booms in rental prices. North Dakota may not be the lowest paying anymore but the schools at the links are still not paying even what my old district in Kentucky is paying and rental property is a heck of a lot cheaper back there.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
I checked out the pay scales at the links provided before commenting. I know North Dakota is experiencing a boom, unlike most other states. Booms, however, are accompanied by booms in rental prices. North Dakota may not be the lowest paying anymore but the schools at the links are still not paying even what my old district in Kentucky is paying and rental property is a heck of a lot cheaper back there.
Reading the thread I saw a few posters suggesting N.D.
However, I'm sure the op would appreciate your input and links referencing those jobs you've mentioned. After all that is what the OP requested.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Reading the thread I saw a few posters suggesting N.D.
However, I'm sure the op would appreciate your input and links referencing those jobs you've mentioned. After all that is what the OP requested.
Already posted the Kentucky statewide listings link way up thread, it's great because you can do one application for all the counties. I would have sent the Northern Virgina ones where I currently live, and where there are lots of openings, but someone already beat me to it. I'm not sure if this is the thread I added the Prince William and Stafford County links to or not, but I did on some thread.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
North Dakota is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, paying states in the nation. Between the weather and the pay, unless you are just desperately searching for wide open space, I'd try other places first.
I believe it is 48th? Just above NC and Mississippi is dead last.

Rumor has it some districts arew offering a FREE house for teachers who stay 5 or more years. Last I heard they have given away 3 houses in the last 5 years.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe it is 48th? Just above NC and Mississippi is dead last.

Rumor has it some districts arew offering a FREE house for teachers who stay 5 or more years. Last I heard they have given away 3 houses in the last 5 years.
Mississippi has average salaries at $ 41,975. South Dakota is last at $ 39,850. Our state leaders would be upset if they found any state below them.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

I can attest to an unusual housing situation that some school districts in SD have done. In some instances, houses were provided RENT free for some teachers. Obviously, this was at some of the most remote school districts. No house giveaways that I've ever heard of.

Last edited by jmgg; 07-13-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Mississippi has average salaries at $ 41,975. South Dakota is last at $ 39,850. Our state leaders would be upset if they found any state below them.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

I can attest to an unusual housing situation that some school districts in SD have done. In some instances, houses were provided RENT free for some teachers. Obviously, this was at some of the most remote school districts. No house giveaways that I've ever heard of.

How about STARTING salary? THe house give away was mentioned on a news program some years back. Not sure which districts were involved or how long it lasted.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
How about STARTING salary? THe house give away was mentioned on a news program some years back. Not sure which districts were involved or how long it lasted.
Yep, South Dakota really shines in starting salary. We're 49th with only Montana below us. Don't show our legislators this or they'll quickly do something about it.

Click on the site again. Starting salaries are listed.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yep, South Dakota really shines in starting salary. We're 49th with only Montana below us. Don't show our legislators this or they'll quickly do something about it.

Click on the site again. Starting salaries are listed.

I know NC salaries are wrong. Possibly a few others are as well?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I know NC salaries are wrong. Possibly a few others are as well?
The internet is NEVER wrong. I know this because I read it on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching