Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wow to the bolded, that is over $60 more than is paid here. Subbing, for new teachers, isn't about earning a living, it's about getting your foot in the door.
Big whoop. They don't work you here enough to get "a foot in the door" because there might be 300 or 400 people in a small district or ESD on the sub list. I knew people who worked little or not at all all year and were on the list. Good criminy, you do know some of us aren't married or live with parents, don't you? Some of us NEED the income.

Furthermore, there is very little turnover in teaching jobs because most teachers in their fifties and sixties CANNOT afford to retire.

Additionally, Oregon classes are HUGE, much bigger on average than what there was in Nevada and in other states.

In most states, subs aren't required to have a bachelor's degree to sub, as subs are in Oregon, and, in Oregon, you MUST be certified in the subject you teach if you are on a longterm sub job of more than three months.

Lots of asterisks there.

Last edited by tonysam; 06-18-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Several of my friends were recently hired by Milwaukee Public Schools. They were special education teachers but there are probably vacancies in all areas. Not all schools in MPS are inner city ghetto schools, but, in general, teaching can be rougher in a big city school system.
I taught in Milwaukee for 14 years-DON'T DO IT!!! No, there are not vacancies in all areas and many new teachers got "pink slips" the last couple of years due to budget cuts.They are always hiring special ed teachers and will take you on an emergency license, and then you take classes to get certified. ALMOST ALL MPS schools ARE inner-city ghetto schools. The ones that are not never have a vacancy. The teaching is very rough in MPS and they make you live IN the city, which is why I left. I didnt like being told where I had to live.
Now I teach in NC where the kids are not as rough, but the working conditions are much worse.I came here to get the job-a co-worker skyped and proved he had an address lined up and a moving date. I am not sure you will get a job if you are in a different area.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 PM

66 posts, read 121,753 times
I've been putting an address on my resume for the state I am applying for. I've been getting calls and emails now. It's funny how quickly they backtrack though when I say I can't come in for an interview that day.

Principal: Love the credentials come in today for an interview?
Me: I couldn't come in today I am out of town for a few days could we do a skype or facetime interview in the meantime?(If it went well then I would head down for a face to face)
Principal: Uhhhhhhhh (insert ridiculous lie here).

I somehow got a phone interview in Knoxville today, which according to people that teach there, they have minimum 600 applicants for one job. I also got one in Hilton Head Island, SC. No idea how I will afford to live there on 30K a year and how my fiance' will find IT work there. But hey, if you are going to be broke and living check to check, might as well be broke at the beach.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU&UF View Post
I've been putting an address on my resume for the state I am applying for. I've been getting calls and emails now. It's funny how quickly they backtrack though when I say I can't come in for an interview that day.

Me: I couldn't come in today I am out of town for a few days could we do a skype or facetime interview in the meantime?(If it went well then I would head down for a face to face)

I somehow got a phone interview in Knoxville today, which according to people that teach there, they have minimum 600 applicants for one job. I also got one in Hilton Head Island, SC. No idea how I will afford to live there on 30K a year and how my fiance' will find IT work there. But hey, if you are going to be broke and living check to check, might as well be broke at the beach.
If your fiance is in IT, wouldnt it be easier for him to get a job and you to seek a teaching position based on where he gets hired rather than vice versa?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
NY City is almost always hiring. However, most of the places are rather rough.

A relative of mine took his first job teaching in Brooklyn over 25 years ago. He's now in administration. He did well for himself and makes excellent money. It's not for everyone, but for some the rewards are great.

My relative actually misses the classroom!

If you really can't find a job, Teach For America takes college grads without Education majors and gives you two years of paid experience.

Again, you will be teaching in underprivileged areas.

In my home state (NY) Bible school grads are not even aloud to teach school, so this surprises me.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM

66 posts, read 121,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
If your fiance is in IT, wouldnt it be easier for him to get a job and you to seek a teaching position based on where he gets hired rather than vice versa?
Well it would be easier for him which is why we thought it would be better for me to get a job first. IT jobs are easier to come by so he would have an easier time finding a job where we go for my job then if I went where he found something.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 AM

50 posts, read 73,859 times
I was offered one teaching job in
phoenix in the last 42 months. I took it, did a good job, got great results, and......we didn't get our contract renewed. I've been in Thailand for one month and I've had 13 teaching job offers; and I'm not even looking for work. Unemployment is .6%, nationally.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times
Few people can afford to work overseas. Not an option.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Big whoop. They don't work you here enough to get "a foot in the door" because there might be 300 or 400 people in a small district or ESD on the sub list. I knew people who worked little or not at all all year and were on the list. Good criminy, you do know some of us aren't married or live with parents, don't you? Some of us NEED the income.
Way back in the mid/late 70's and early 80's, the last time there was a teacher glut, which is when I started it was basically the same story. At that time I was my sole support for my and I had a husband I was helping put through law school, and they weren't allowed to work. I worked from 5:30-9 three or four nights a week and all day Saturday and Sunday at a retail store in addition to taking every subbing job I was offered. Naturally, we had no health insurance, but people didn't seem to worry about that then. It was exhausting at times but I was offered a full time teaching job the next year from one of the places I had subbed. I got my foot in the door and it was pretty much the only way new teachers got jobs back then.

We all knew that was the way it was going to work back then. The problem right now is that when the people currently graduating from 4-year programs started their education, there were schools that were still begging for teachers. When I think of some of the crap teachers schools I worked at were forced to hire, and compare them to some of the far better quality potential new teachers that won't be able to get a job, I find it very frustrating. Like most new graduates in every area right now, this is a crappy time to try to break into the job market. But based on what I experienced the last time our nation was in this position, those with the right attitude and a willingness to do what they need to in order to get a job, will eventually get them. In teaching that means getting a steady, albeit menial and low paying, job during non-school hours and subbing whenever they get a chance.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU&UF View Post

They expect you to be so excited at the prospect of working for them that you will drop everything and go to that interview. If you aren't, plenty of other candidates will be. For that reason alone, you may not be doing yourself a favor by lying about the address. And what happens when they find out you lied? I wouldn't be very happy if I were that principal and, if I had already hired you when I found out, would have difficulty trusting anything you claimed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching