Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM

66 posts, read 121,732 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from Indiana University in Bloomington(one of the better Education programs in the country). I am K-6 certified. I have applied for OVER 750 positions(I'm not kidding lol). I have applied for EVERY public school position in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado. I didn't stop there. I got the phone #'s & fax #'s for EVERY school and the principals email, too. I've faxed, called, and emailed ALL OF THEM. As you can see I've racked up quite an expense doing this but I'm dedicated and want a job. Out of over the 750 I've applied to I've only gotten THREE...yes THREE interviews(phone) and never heard from them again(tried calling, etc.)

Now I know the big thing is experience. A lot of recent grads don't have it. I do. I volunteered at the local schools the last 4 years as well as substitute taught every day I wasn't in class. I also had an offer for a long-term sub job(6 weeks) upon graduation(which I just completed).

Sadly somehow people that graduated from bible colleges and technical colleges are getting jobs, but I can't even get a freaking interview. Surely Indiana University-Bloomington has more prestige then No name Bible College? Maybe not? I never thought I would have such difficulty finding a job. Heck, I have over 10 references and a letter of rec from the Dean of Education at IU and the Principal where I did my long term sub job. But, can't even get an interview. Sigh.

I would think this would only be a problem for people not willing to relocate. But when you have applied to every position in TEN STATES it really sucks the confidence out of you.

Can ANYONE help or give advice?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
Northern Virginia is hiring. Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Prince William County. I'd suggest coming out in person if you can swing it, and spending a few days this summer driving around to schools and dropping off portfolios with the principals or secretaries in person. I know of multiple people from out of state who got jobs here by doing that.

If you can't swing a trip (don't blame you, as a recent grad!) I would absolutely email the principals as you've been doing. Open positions will be posted shortly (generally end of june/early july) and you can contact specific schools that you know have openings (although not all openings will be listed, so it doesn't hurt to contact others).

Do you have contacts any places you are applying? It might help to have a (more) local address on your resume so that it doesn't get tossed immediately. Schools aren't going to hire someone they haven't met in person (very often, at least), so you want to make it clear that you are available for an interview.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
My aunt taught for the American School for her entire teaching career. She began in Manila and eventually got an assignment in France. She taught elementary. So if you're interested in a foreign country, try that. Each summer, she came to the states for a month, then returned overseas.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Northern Virginia is hiring. Fairfax County, Loudoun County, Prince William County. I'd suggest coming out in person if you can swing it, and spending a few days this summer driving around to schools and dropping off portfolios with the principals or secretaries in person. I know of multiple people from out of state who got jobs here by doing that.

If you can't swing a trip (don't blame you, as a recent grad!) I would absolutely email the principals as you've been doing. Open positions will be posted shortly (generally end of june/early july) and you can contact specific schools that you know have openings (although not all openings will be listed, so it doesn't hurt to contact others).

Do you have contacts any places you are applying? It might help to have a (more) local address on your resume so that it doesn't get tossed immediately. Schools aren't going to hire someone they haven't met in person (very often, at least), so you want to make it clear that you are available for an interview.
CaliTerp07. You did the typing for me.
Thanks.

I know people who called HR and said, "I'm going to be in the area. Can I set up an interview(s)?" and were hired.
IU&UF don't wait. They are already filling positions for next fall.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Same here about the "in person" kind of thing. I personally went into the buildings, asking to talk to the principal and giving him/her my resumé. That way, when/if a position came up in my content area, he already had a face, name and resume in his/her mind. And not just the principal... I went to the director's office and asked to speak with him/her. I honestly didn't get many meetings, but I dropped off my resumé and kept coming back.

I know it would be hard to do this in distant states, but for those systems near you, try to get as much "face time" as possible. Many principals get a say-so in the hiring process, and having seen your face and the time/effort you are putting into the process, they might remember you.

Face time and actual leg work - even in this day and age of technology - works wonders.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:24 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
You've applied in Las Vegas? If yes, how long ago?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
How about starting in private schools? Try the National Association of Independent Schools: NAIS Career Center - Job Search

Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

You beat me to it! DC schools, Stafford County, and Alexandria Public Schools are or will be hiring too.

We interviewed a couple of candidates on Skype a couple of years back. It worked pretty well so you could suggest that if you can't come in person.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,739,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
How about starting in private schools? Try the National Association of Independent Schools: NAIS Career Center - Job Search
On a similar note, my kids go to a publicly funded charter school. They have many teachers pass through their doors ( for a variety of reasons, and not so great for the kids) but many 1st year brand new teachers start there then move on in a couple of years after getting their feet wet. The pay is not the same as it is for teachers in the standard public schools here but it's a start. They do have the benefit of smaller class sizes, at least at my kids' school.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
I think many southern states like Mississippi and Arkansas may be hiring? I have also heard some communities in North Dakota are in serious need of teachers. A few even give you a HOUSE if you stay five years or something like that.
I would go to the boards here on CD for the states you might be most interested in and ask questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching