Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
All I know is that I want their job. Unfortunately, the jobs are few and far between and being that it's an elective area, their jobs are one of the first on the chopping block when cuts have to be made. After getting laid off and deciding to go back to school to get my teaching license, I was heavily leaning towards PE, but then common sense prevailed and after just being laid off, I decided I needed to get licensed in something more stable, which is why I chose Special Education. Anyways, I couldn't have majored in PE even if I had tried since the university where I went to get my license was doing away with their PE program. I asked them why and they said there just weren't enough jobs out there to justify keeping the major. I was kind of shocked to hear that as I've never heard of a university actually getting rid of a major.
I'm assuming your college is not big into athletics. EVERY university where the sports programs are an integral part needs majors where they can hide the athletes who only got in because of their "special talents". A PE major ranks right up to the top in meeting this criteria. Maybe they have enough of these majors already.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Every PE teacher I have ever met loves their job.

I have often said that PE teachers should be held to the same standards as the core teachers. In that case it would mean that their students should all be top performers in the sports they are required to teach in their curriculum. If students do not meet those standards, they too should become better teachers...just like us. They, of course, will need to remediate students on their own time with no stipend (like we do), call parents of underperformers (like we do), develop a plan for improvement (like we do), assign extra practice (like we do), assess them constantly (like we do), attend professional development over and over again, because, despite all their efforts, student skills are not making gains, attend meetings with their supervisors to explain why skills are not improving - and no excuses either. Just because student's entire family is obese and the kid never leaves the Xbox 360 is no excuse. If you are, indeed, a good teacher, you will inspire your students to want to excel in sports and sportsmanship.

The day the PE teacher is held to these standards, I'll go along with them being paid as much as me.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM

I wish I got a stipend for "coaching" students after school in math. Something is seriously wrong with what we value. The football/basketball coaches are so idolized that I am surprised that the district doesn't hire someone to throw rose petals in front of them on the pathway as they walk.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
In elementary schools it is not unusual for the PE teacher to be responsible for all of the students in the school. They must plan lessons and keep records for fitness goals and mastery of physical skills, much like a music teacher who may teach well over 300 students each week. I'm sure that there are still some old-style PE teachers who are responsible for no more than 150 students overall and who just have them go play on the playground, but I believe that is going the way of the chalkboard eraser.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
All teaching positions have their pros and cons. I taught special education for 30 plus years. They couldn't pay me enough to ever teach P.E. on either a temporary or a regular basis (well, maybe I would consider it for a $150,000 a year). I now substitute teach in all subjects, at all grade levels (EC & K4 through HS), in both regular and special education. The only area that I automatically turn down in P.E..

Have you even seen the schedule of most elementary P.E. teachers? From the time school starts to the time school ends it is work, work , work (except for lunch or prep--if they are lucky and aren't traveling teachers).

One class is walking out one set of doors and the next class is walking in the other door. At least in my area the specials are back to back. 9:00 to 9:30, 9:30 to 10:00, 10:00 to 10:30, 10:30 to 11:00 and 11:00 to 11:30. My elementary school has 450 to 500 children. Imagine having multiple goals to grade for each child and having to give a letter grade to every single child in the building. In my school district each grade has a different curriculum or different focus sports and many units need to have a written test (starting at first grade) on rules. So, our Gym teachers do have tests to grade.

Feeling tired or a little ill that day or getting older? If you teach P.E. you can't ever sit down. Basically, 100% of your entire teaching day is standing and moving around.

Many districts are cutting down and/or cutting out Physical Education and other specials so you always have to worry about your job being eliminated.

And, usually schools "include" all of the special education students in specials (even if they can't handle any of the academic subjects) so you have all of the cognitively disabled and emotionally challenged students in your class (often without any aides or help).

Still think teaching Physical Education is easier than being a classroom teacher?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Your post is going to rile some... LOL... I've always wondered why P.E. teachers are paid as much as Math teachers. In my world, the Math/STEM teachers would all be paid the most (do some school districts do this?). The pay would be based on supply/demand. Those with more in-demand backgrounds are more likely to get higher paying jobs in industry, so need a higher salary incentive to teach. Also, their majors are much more intellectually challenging than P.E. majors (sorry P.E. majors!) so fewer can become qualified teachers.
What a load of crap. Schools are not businesses.

You start paying some teachers more than others other than education level and years of service, you are going to have major, major problems.

Your attitude is absolutely disgusting. Just because you majored in math or science, that doesn't confer "intelligence."

In fact, the arrogance that often goes with it conveys stupidity.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
All teaching positions have their pros and cons. I taught special education for 30 plus years. They couldn't pay me enough to ever teach P.E. on either a temporary or a regular basis (well, maybe I would consider it for a $150,000 a year). I now substitute teach in all subjects, at all grade levels (EC & K4 through HS), in both regular and special education. The only area that I automatically turn down in P.E..

Have you even seen the schedule of most elementary P.E. teachers? From the time school starts to the time school ends it is work, work , work (except for lunch or prep--if they are lucky and aren't traveling teachers).

One class is walking out one set of doors and the next class is walking in the other door. At least in my area the specials are back to back. 9:00 to 9:30, 9:30 to 10:00, 10:00 to 10:30, 10:30 to 11:00 and 11:00 to 11:30. My elementary school has 450 to 500 children. Imagine having multiple goals to grade for each child and having to give a letter grade to every single child in the building. In my school district each grade has different curriculum or sports and many units need to have a written test (starting at first grade) on rules. So, our Gym teachers do have tests to grade.

Feeling tired or a little ill that day or getting older? If you teach P.E. you can't ever sit down. Basically, 100% of your entire teaching day is standing and moving around.

Many districts are cutting down and/or cutting out Physical Education and other specials so you always have to worry about your job being eliminated.

And, usually schools "include" all of the special education students in specials (even if they can't handle any of the academic subjects) so you have all of the cognitively disabled and emotionally challenged students in your class (often without any aides or help).

Still think teaching Physical Education is easier than being a classroom teacher?
Being a PE teacher is like herding cats--just about impossible to do.

You can say the same for being a kindergarten teacher, but these math and science snobs who think they are "smarter" haven't a clue how utterly difficult it is.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
They are required to have the same education and certification in their field that other teachers need.

They are required to plan lessons and be knowledgeable about physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, human development, and other fields.

They work with and teach the students to develop lifelong patterns of health nutrition and exercise.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that the people who say that all a PE teacher does is throw some balls out into the field don't know what a PE teacher does.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
They are required to have the same education and certification in their field that other teachers need.

They are required to plan lessons and be knowledgeable about physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, human development, and other fields.

They work with and teach the students to develop lifelong patterns of health nutrition and exercise.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that the people who say that all a PE teacher does is throw some balls out into the field don't know what a PE teacher does.
PE SUBSTITUTES do this.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM

It has nothing to do with being smarter or more educated. It has to do with being held to a much higher standard and a much longer workday. Our PE teachers are done at the end of the contracted workday, so they enjoy our school's tennis courts or sponsor a fun club. The admin loves them because they will organize activities and do pet projects for them. As opposed to us math teachers. To do my job is 9-10 hours a day to do the bare minimum. The stress is unbelievable.

My district, the 5th largest in the nation, is hiring for every subject except PE. That tells you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching