Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
She also pays in SS and therefore is eligible.
Realize that even if you are eligible for Social Security, if you receive a pension you still get hit by the windfall elimination provision that essentially deducts the value of your pension from your social security benefits. This can come as a surprise to a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Seriously, there is soooooooo much misinformation and stuff people just plain don't understand regarding SSI, SSD, and various eligibility. When I worked for Legal Aid, the division that helped people with SSI/SSD was always the most hopping unit, because so many people are ill-informed.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Realize that even if you are eligible for Social Security, if you receive a pension you still get hit by the windfall elimination provision that essentially deducts the value of your pension from your social security benefits. This can come as a surprise to a lot of people.
Not true.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

I receive a PERS pension. I paid SS. I'm drawing SS, I took a hit because I started receiving SS a year ago at 62.

Last edited by BJW50; 06-20-2013 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
People do not understand that in the SOUTH:

You really don't get benefits. Your benefits are partially supplemented, but you pay a LOT (more every year) out of your own paycheck.

You also PAY out of your own paycheck for retirement.

You also get nowhere near ninety percent of your salary on your retirement. If you're lucky, you might get HALF, and that's usually for a shorter period of time than you have left to live.

You have no powerful unions. They have no real power. You do have legal counsel if you need it, but the state isn't going to be hamstrung over by a weak, impotent union that they don't have to listen to.

You also make a much smaller salary than in unionized states.

There is NO TENURE in southern states.

Why does the media always focus on union-dominated states, when an entire region of the country, the SOUTH, bears no resemblance to the garbage they rattle on about with regard to public schools?
....and we don't pay state taxes.. Have to point that out.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Totally agree, having had ample experience with for-profit entities running private schools.

Bad scene, all around. Nothing being done for the welfare of the students, and poor decisions being made using shoddy criteria that has no bearing whatsoever on education. Out of whack priorities.
Woah, I must disagree. Why are some of the best schools in the US private schools? I refer to schools like St. Pauls, Deerfield, and a host of other independent, college prep schools? There's nothing wrong with private schools that are run like a business. They're very effective at giving parents and students what they want, and letting teachers teach in a way that best meets the needs of their students.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Woah, I must disagree. Why are some of the best schools in the US private schools?
Because they select the students who attend their schools, rather than being forced to accept all who appear at their door.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times
Quote:
Woah, I must disagree. Why are some of the best schools in the US private schools? I refer to schools like St. Pauls, Deerfield, and a host of other independent, college prep schools? There's nothing wrong with private schools that are run like a business. They're very effective at giving parents and students what they want, and letting teachers teach in a way that best meets the needs of their students.
If I recall from many months ago, you're the poster who's a staunch libertarian. Of course you would believe that.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The district employs over 1,000 teachers. How many of those 157 or those 10 retired in 2012?

When a public employee retires, their final year salary for FOIA includes all of their lifetime accumulated PTO, vacation, and sick pay at 50% value as well as the full value of their lump sum pension payment if they choose lump sum (many teachers do that now and roll the lump sum over into a safer IRA).

Edit: Decided to check for the first ten.
Anderson: Retired.
Arnold: Principal.
Badgley: Retired.
Baldwin: Retired.
Baldwin: Teacher (Dept Head)
Baltzer: Retired.
Baur: School Director (PK equivalent of Principal)
Bianco: Retired.
Black: Teacher (Dept Head)
Boettcher: Retired.

And the 10 supposed teachers making $100k+
Arnold: Principal.
Gilbert: Principal.
Hickman-Long: Assistant Superintendent.
Maag: Chief Financial Officer.
Sattler: Director of Business Services.
Schwieterman: Principal and Director of Human Resources.
Shannon: Assistant Superintendent.
Shuman: Director of Technology.
Verhoff: Superintendent.
West: Principal.

Well, what a surprise. Not a single one of these people was a teacher.
I made the ultimately nauseating choice to look at the pay schedule for the school district where I live. I had to get to page 18 to find a teacher. The highest paid teacher seems to be a bilingual ed 2nd grade teacher who makes $64,000. No idea how long she's been there or what her qualifications are. Who's on 18 pages before her who make more? Let's see: a police captain (??) with the school district who makes $74,000 (there are also 2 lieutenants and 4 sergeants...), a project coordinator for something called "Future Problem Solving (what?) who makes $74,000, Systems Analysts that make $80,000, Architects that make $90,000....and our superintendent is paid $283,000. Austin ISD Salaries | Government Employee Salaries | The Texas Tribune Why no outcry over how much a systems analyst makes? Or the other 15 pages of administrators???

Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Why no outcry over how much a systems analyst makes? Or the other 15 pages of administrators???

Because most who gripe long and loud about teacher salaries have been in classrooms and think they know what teaching is like, but they've never analyzed systems.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Then why is it that half the new teachers coming out of college think that they're child psychologists? The last time I checked having a degree in elementary education does not qualify one to diagnose autism, adhd and other disorders or recommend a child be medicated.
No teacher in his/her right mind would ever diagnose a student. A teacher can- and should- give factual information to a parent about their child's classroom behavior and academic performance.

Uh oh, did a teacher tell you your child wasn't a) gifted or b)couldn't focus or c)couldn't sit still? Those are big issues for parents that they usually don't want to hear. Of course, it's the messenger's fault....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching